Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #1
sophiasmommy14
Registered Users
seller

HELP! Why does my milk look like its spoiled?

I have a 3month old baby & started pumping because she was in the hospital a little longer then me for complications from my c section. I usually pump during the day and nurse at night.. & some days i nurse all day i dont really have a set schedule yet. Anyway some days after i pump & give her the bottle i notice what looks to me like spoiled milk inside the bottle.. just like regular milk when it gets bad it clumps.. this is what my BM looks like!! It doesnt wash off easily either it kind of sticks to the bottle. I dont know what this is but im hoping someone can help me figure it out. I take vitamins everyday! I dont know if this matters but i am definately not pumping the same amount of milk i was a month ago and routine hasnt really changed. Except for nightime, she pretty much sleeps threw the night so i dont get up and pump and certainly dont wake her up to eat so i dont know if this has affected my supply? help please?

Advertisement

sophiasmommy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #2
momof_3

Formerly: momof_2girls
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: HELP! Why does my milk look like its spoiled?

That is the fat from your milk mama! It's completely normal and good for baby too! Just shake it up and eventually it will mix back into the rest of the milk.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
sophiasmommy14
Registered Users
seller

I thought that too but i only notice it when the bottle is empty.. i always shake it up when its full but that stuff still stays there after shes done? also if its fat how come i only see it every once in a while? do you know how i get my milk supply back to what it was? i was pumping sooo much extra in the beginning and now i dont make enough to give her what she needs?
Old 06-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
MrsSaraKate
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiasmommy14 View Post
I thought that too but i only notice it when the bottle is empty.. i always shake it up when its full but that stuff still stays there after shes done? also if its fat how come i only see it every once in a while? do you know how i get my milk supply back to what it was? i was pumping sooo much extra in the beginning and now i dont make enough to give her what she needs?
How many times are you pumping per day?

Also, I've known some ladies to have success with power pumping. Maybe if you had the time you could replace one of your sessions with one of those for a few days to see if that helps. You would basically pump 10, rest 10, pump 10, rest 10 for a straight hour. Just a thought! Baby Center has an Exclusive Pumpers community that I've found really helpful for advice as well.

Last edited by MrsSaraKate; 06-13-2012 at 02:57 PM.
MrsSaraKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiasmommy14
You shouldn't shake BM, just swirl it around. That is all it usually takes to get the milk fat off the sides of the bottle.

You'll really only see it when you let the milk settle for a while - it also depends on the time of day.

As for supply - the pump isn't as effective as a baby would be, don't know your back story but is there any chance of getting LO latched on?

Sent from my DROID2 using DS Forum
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:57 PM   #6
sophiasmommy14
Registered Users
seller

power pumping.. hmm thats something i havent tried!! how many times a day are u supposed to do that?? & She does latch on.. i cosleep/nurse her at night and during the day we go back and forth from nursing to bottle. lately ive been trying to nurse mostly but when i do actually pump i havent noticed in increase or a difference. idk if i didnt pump so much in the beginning and have it stored then i would have already had to supplement with formula i only have a few bags left of stored BM & im getting nervous because i dont want to have to give her formula.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #7
MotherGoose518
Registered Users

Spoiled breast milk smells like eggs.
MTHFR + possible Ehler's Danlos Syndrome
Lovenox, Folic Acid Therapy, Aspirin Therapy
MotherGoose518 is offline   Reply With Quote