Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-21-2012, 10:02 AM   #11
MariaLA
Registered Users
seller

Re: Daycare toddler room expectations?

My son's daycare does a mix of cribs and mats in the 12-18 month room, and mats only in the 18-24 month room. Two naps up to 18 months, but you can't force a kid to sleep so some in the 12-18 are on one nap if it's natural for them. No bottles in the 18-24 (thought Nuby sippies are ok) and they start using forks and spoons there.

My son transitioned to the 18-24 room about 6 weeks early because he was only taking one nap, was off bottles, and was demanding a fork with his lunch!

Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 10:04 AM   #12
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

I think it is the nap that is worrying me the most. You may recall a thread earlier that talks about how the daycare my son is currently in had him sleeping in the swing for 2 hrs straight and he'd only sleep 30 minutes at home. Well, that situation has reversed. He went down at 9:30am here this morning and it is currently noon and he is still asleep. I have had to go in and nurse him 4 different times, each time expecting it was his wake up nursing, but he has gone back to sleep each time. I just don't see him being able to wait until 12:30 for his nap. And keeping him asleep seems even harder! I'm just worried about him,

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
MamaLump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #13
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd discuss that with his new teacher/school. He'll be busy, He'll have more activities and more of a schedule in that age group. He might not have any trouble staying awake until nap. But he might be tired and grouchy for a few weeks but more then likely he will adjust well to the new schedule without much issue. But you can always talk to the teacher about ways to help him adjust to the 1 nap time.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:11 AM   #14
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

Our only experience with this age and daycare was at a military ran daycare. I was pretty pleased how they did the transition, and little steps were taken prior to the transition from infant to toddler room. Her infant room introduced sippy cups at meal time around 10 months, at around 11 months she moved to sitting in a "big kid" table instead of a high chair (the seats were super low and had sides, and they would put a slip grip on the chair so they didn't slide out and under the table) She was also given a spoon at meal time. She got her notice she would be moving to the toddler room right after her first birthday (which at the time I panicked she was doing so well in her infant room, and I wasn't sure she was ready to move she had literally just started walking, and when I went to view her rooms the kids looked huge and were running!, they gave me the option to hold her back, but they had a transition period that was 2 weeks+ (so I said we would go ahead and proceed and see how she did with the transition period.) During the transition period she would go visit their room at various times of the day (drop off- breakfast- snack time- outside play-lunch- nap,pick up) She started just going for one hour for the main things, and then they upped the time until she was spending almost half the day over there by the end I was comfortable with the transition, and she didn't seem to be in distress and looked completely happy when I picked her up on the "big" playground, and she loved being dropped off in that room for breakfast. They didn't allow bottles, she was given a sippy, but around 15-16 months they started transitioning to an open cup, they used overhand technigue to help the child learn to serve themselves the food from the bigger containers (same technique used when they went to open cups, to learn to pour their own milk) She napped on a little cot (she already had napping issues at daycare, and I thought this would make it way worse! but surprisingly she napped almost the full nap period in the toddler room. Her first few days they rubbed her back to help her fall asleep. All together it was a great experience and in the short time she was in the toddler room sept to dec (because we relocated) she changed and gained so many new skills. Now if only all daycares were just as grand because then I'd contemplate going back to work.

Last edited by champatlife; 06-21-2012 at 10:13 AM.
champatlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #15
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlillie
Sounds right to me.
Yup
I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...
Hope4More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #16
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

Ok, you guys are making me think that if I put some effort into helping him during July that he is capable. I am just freaked out about pushing him before he is ready. Sounds like I might just be underestimating him. After lunch today, I think I will go over and talk to the one teacher that I know will be in his classroom and figure out what I really need to focus on during July. Also, they have daily lesson plans (schedules) do maybe I will get a copy of hers for today and see if I can get my son to that by the end of July. He'll then only be a month behind, and maybe the schedule won't change that much between now and then.

MamaLump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #17
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was worried about my daughter doing the mat thing, and once all the kids were doing it, she was fine!!!! She slept in a crib at home, but on a mat at daycare.

Kids do all kinds of things at daycare they won't do at home.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 06-21-2012 at 10:58 AM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #18
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

With both of my boys, when they moved to the toddler room and started sleeping on a cot instead of a crib, I thought "There is no way they will ever stay on that cot! They will constantly getting up!" But I was amazed at how quickly they figured it out. At first, the teacher would sit right next to them and rub their back, whisper "shh" to them, etc. until they fell asleep. Didn't take long at all for them to learn that during nap time they now sleep on a cot.

Oh, and sippy cups are fine the toddler room. Zay does not use any utensils, I just try to pack things that he can eat with his hands -- our daycare does not provide lunch. If I pack some yogurt or applesauce, the teacher will help with that part.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #19
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLump View Post
Ok, you guys are making me think that if I put some effort into helping him during July that he is capable. I am just freaked out about pushing him before he is ready. Sounds like I might just be underestimating him. After lunch today, I think I will go over and talk to the one teacher that I know will be in his classroom and figure out what I really need to focus on during July. Also, they have daily lesson plans (schedules) do maybe I will get a copy of hers for today and see if I can get my son to that by the end of July. He'll then only be a month behind, and maybe the schedule won't change that much between now and then.

believe me I was equally as freaked out. My daughter wouldn't even take a bottle until almost 10 months (so that's when she started daycare) it was a HUGE accomplishment, and when they told me she couldn't have a bottle when she moved up, I was like, "omg, it took me 10 months to even get her to do anything besides nurse, there is absolutely no way she's ready for her sippy. So, I went home bought sippy cups that looked most like her bottle (one of the nuk silicone ones, and we worked on it, and worked on it.) even after she switched to the toddler room though she still took 2 naps at home for quite sometime. The difference is in how busy and occuppied they keep them compared to the infant room and at home. So, I wouldn't work on the nap time thing too much (or stress about that- which I definately did, so it's easier said than done)
Old 06-21-2012, 12:25 PM   #20
missdawn25
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

WhenI worked I daycare those were the guidelines. The infant room teachers worked on transitioning to one nap and introducing cups. Many of the littl ones needed help getting to sleep and we would rock, pat or rub backs as was best for them. They were not expected to lay on a mat alone and fall asleep.

Most of the were also learning to use utensils and we always had them, helped them put food on plates and modeled good eating habits.

Expect a tired toddler at the end of the day!