Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Originally Posted by missydawn
I am not so shocked. He came from a different time.
Not to start a flame, but this was the same time period when no one blinked an eye if you rode around without a seatbelt on and a martini between your legs...

Wife, WAHM, born-again Christian, proud mommy to my loving, energetic son (4) and blessed, miracle daughter
God gave us our RAINBOW baby !
I WILL WARRIOR ON... This mama misses her three baby angels (10.19) (1.29) (4.18)
I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...
Hope4More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #12
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
My Mood:
Yep different times.

My dad and his twin when they went places laud up in the back window well if the car.

**I do know how to iPod on the other hand does not**
Erica , wife to Ben, momma to Steven11.06 Emily9.10 Matthew 8.13
Forever in my heart, always on my mind (3.09, 5.09, 12.11)
"Life's too short to buy green bananas"
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Did he SERIOUSLY just ask me that?!?!?!

I know times are different... but they have grand kids and great grand kids! I'm sure they've seen the other kids use car seats.

I mean when DS2 was born I lived LITERALLY just minutes from them. They saw me put him in all the time when he was less than a week old.

It just baffles me. I mean, I KNOW times have changed.. I just thought that even grandparents would be "with the program" on car seats by now.

God bless!
Christian wife to my hubby, mamma to three little men and a little lady!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #14
Happy Mommax4
Registered Users
My Mood:
My mom told me about her "car crib" her parents had it for her. It was a metal frame and u just laid your baby on top!! Very safe
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.
Dalai Lama
Happy Mommax4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #15
Registered Users
Yep, even my cousins who were just a few years older than me never rode in a carseat. They lived over the line in PA where it wasn't law yet. Cousins the same age in MD used car seats because it was recently made law. This was just 30 years ago! So Grandpa may seem odd for thinking that, but that's just how it was when he was a new dad.
Loving Life as a Coastie Wife

Welcomed Liberty Grace May 12, 2011!
Greenebean214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #16
GreenHome Sewing
Registered Users
Formerly: Jonah Baby
My Mood:

When my first was an infant I had to call my grandparents for an emergency transport to the pediatrician.
When Grampy arrived I put J on the back seat and was going to turn around and get his carseat.

Grampy says: "Why don't you sit in the back with him, might be safer."

Silly Grampy

ETA though, that every time I think of this story I remember how much I love my grandparents. He may not have been any where NEAR up to date on car safety, but he was still suggesting what he thought was best for the well-being of my child.
~Lana~ SAHM and EMT student to J 4/11/07, Asperger's, ADHD, ODD, MDNOS A 3/25/10, Autism N 10/14/11

Last edited by GreenHome Sewing; 06-21-2012 at 11:59 AM.
GreenHome Sewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #17
Registered Users

I remember when I was a kid, we had a big old van with an empty space in the back. When we took long trips, my dad would set up some cots in the back so we could sleep while he was driving. And we would spend hours jumping over the seats, falling on top of each other, etc. And I'm only 34, so it wasn't all that long ago. Things have definitely changed!
Mom to Micah, born 10/6/08And Isaiah, born 8/23/10
Use Swagbucks and earn free stuff just for being online! Yup, it really is free!
MamaJules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #18
Registered Users
My Mood:
Yup, I was never in a car seat, and we laid across the back seat to read/sleep on long trips, sometimes in the floor! DH is from outside the us and had never seen a car seat until we purchased one for DS. We had a neighbor help us to instal it & a nurse at the hospital show us the proper way for DS to sit. Funny story, when DS was 3 weeks, DH called the ped to make sure it was safe for him to ride in the seat for an extended period, as he didn't think it looked "safe" for his stomach/back in that pumpkin seat position! They had a little chuckle at our expense ;-)
Sorry if I haven't gotten back with anyone via PM. Still learning the iPhone app and not very "techy".
mommy2sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #19
Registered Users
My Mood:

My BIL came home from the hospital in a cardboard box in the backseat!!
Proud mom to a perfect little boy born 3/16/11 and a precious baby boy born 4/24/14
myoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:33 PM   #20
Registered Users
My Mood:

Originally Posted by Michelle_M View Post
Is that movie or a TV show?

God bless!
It's a tv show on AMC. It takes place in New York in the early 60's. It is very histoically accurate and eye opening! Another crazy scene was when the family went on a picnic when they were done she just shook her blanket and left all her trash on the grass. I definitely recommend it if you're in the mood to watch something!
Hilary, loving Charles, mama to Charlie 1-21-12 on the way in December!
Sweet Bunny Upcycled woolies available on Etsy!
And my vintage shop!
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote