Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #21
DCAMama
Registered Users
Formerly: dm**ge
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Did he SERIOUSLY just ask me that?!?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom View Post
Yep different times.

My dad and his twin when they went places laud up in the back window well if the car.
My brother and I would fight who got to lay up there and wave at the truckers when we past them.

Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #22
Sigkap714
Registered Users
seller

I'm 24 and my mum is amazed at how much things have changed. She has pictures of me in the "car crib" next to her as she drove home from the hospital. When we were kids my brother and I would fight over the front seat so most of the time we ended up sharing it, sans seat belt. I love telling my sister (13yrs old) all the stuff we got to do in the car that she's never been allowed to do.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #23
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

my MIL wanted to take my son out of his carseat when he was a newborn (he is 2 now) bc he was crying and she wanted to hold him. Now, different era or no, her granddaughter (who was 11 at the time) has always lived with her, so it's not like she didn't know about carseats! (I mean, I HOPE my SIL used a carseat 11 yrs ago!!). I am 41 and my mom used carseats for us most of the time (she did nurse my sister on long drives, but honestly, I think back then they didn't have seats for really small babies, people just used like the baby seats you use in the house without buckles, etc!)

omgosh, the window well thing- we used to drive from VA to cape cod every summer and one person would sleep in the window well and 2 people would sit in the floor wells between the hump of the back- we once took 6 kids and my parents on that trip in a cadillac (so, what, 5 or 6 seat belts for 8 people and all their stuff for a week at the beach?) gah!

Last edited by bluedaisyma; 06-21-2012 at 12:54 PM.
bluedaisyma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #24
katesmash
Registered Users
seller

Granted this is for older kids, but when my cousins and I were kids (like around 8 years old), the one that's the same age as me would spend the trip to visit us (8 hours away) on a mattress thingy in the back of the van, laying there sleeping or reading comics & magazines. And we used to go to the local pool in their town when we visited them by riding in the back bed of the pickup truck.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #25
tusheez
Registered
seller

My Mood:

hahahah grandmas and grandpas crack me up crazy how now you have car safety rules and back then you could ride on the roof if you wanted to lol. I feel like those may have been the good ol days.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #26
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

not that shocking to me. I don't think I rode home in a carseat. I know my mom breastfed in the car. Well, mostly sure.

it wasn't as big of a deal back when cars were made with steel instead of plastic like they are now.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #27
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I understand times have changed, but do some people just not watch TV, read the news, thumb through magazines, or notice families with babies on the road or entering/exiting their vehicles in parking lots. Not understanding NBs require car seats is being pretty oblivious to your surroundings!

It's kinda like a non dog owner wanting to take your dog on a walk without a leash although 99.99% of other dog owners this person has driven by, read about in the news, or seen on TV over the past 20 years have all used leashes for walking their dogs.

Last edited by raymark; 06-21-2012 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Spelling
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #28
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by missydawn
I am not so shocked. He came from a different time.
Agree.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #29
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymark
I understand times have changed, but do some people just not watch TV, read the news, thumb through magazines, or notice families with babies on the road or entering/exiting their vehicles in parking lots. Not understanding NBs require car seats is being pretty oblivious to your surroundings!
I think many people don't notice those kinds of things because it's not relevant to their lives.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #30
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymark View Post
-I very rarely watch tv
-I never read the news
-I don't subscribe to or otherwise buy magazines
-I don't pay attention to other people's vehicle seating arrangements
and don't even know which of my friends ERF or whatever unless we have a conversation about it or they post a photo of their kid in the carseat on FB...

And before I had a child, I really didn't know or care much about babies and carseats. It didn't affect my life. I knew they had to be in carseats, but I pretty much thought you put them in a booster at about 2 or 3 and that they were all out of carseats/boosters by 5. And the only reason I knew or thought about any of that was because my sister has kids and I have had to move a carseat into my car about 2x in the last 12 years.

honestly, once you know something, it is really difficult to believe that other people don't know it. But in reality, a lot of subjects are very specific to certain interests and if someone isn't interested in the new carseat recommendations, it's unlikely that they'll click on an article on a website to read about it.

Just my opinion, of course.