Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #1
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Any one have an MRI while pregnant?

Just wondering if anyone had an MRI while they were pregnant and how the pregancy continued afterward AND how their baby turned out health-wise..

I had to have one yesterday because my doctor thought my appendix was rupturing. Turned out to not be (thankfully, no surgery). But now I am freaking out that I had the MRI. Of course, they said it was not known to be unsafe/also not known to be decisively safe, but at that point we had to find out or the surgeon was going to go in and do exploratory surgery. So we opted for the MRI.

Please tell me your experience.

Advertisement

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
no experience with that.

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Any one have an MRI while pregnant?

Natasha OMG!!! You have had such a rough time lately. I am so glad you are ok. What in the world was the matter? Try to be positive you didn't have any radiation like x-ray or CT.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
H's mom
Registered Users
seller

I had an MRI when I was 6 months pregnant. They didn't do the contrast, as I'm sure you didn't either, and they told me the same thing that there was no evidence that it was harmful, but no guarantees either. The rest of my pregnancy went normally and I had a healthy, normal baby boy (although he's driving me up the ever livin' wall with his whinniness lately, see other thread, but that's just regular toddler behavior).

Don't worry, you did what you had to do. I'm glad to hear that your appendix is ok and I hope the rest of your pregnancy is uneventful. :-)
H's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #5
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

"MDever

Natasha OMG!!! You have had such a rough time lately. I am so glad you are ok. What in the world was the matter? Try to be positive you didn't have any radiation like x-ray or CT.

stevensmom
hugs, no experience with that."

Thank you ladies. I know, what in the world!? I have been to the ER twice in the last few months, both with abdominal issues, and in the last 10 years those are the only times I have been to the ER! Talk about frustrating.

Our midwives actually told us to go after they, our nurse practitioner and ER doc friend were convinced it had to be my appendix. After initial exam and ultrasound they thought it was but because I had no fever and just the pain in that area (they literally couldn't touch my lower right side without me jumping) they said either we go in via laproscopy and scope in there (after being put under general anesthesia) or they do the MRI or I go home. At that point I was still in so much pain and they said the risk to me and baby girl were high if I went home and it was my appendix and ruptured so we decided to do the MRI. It also came back inconclusive. Our surgeon came back and said he prefers to take appendixes out even if once he gets in there he sees that it is ok he says that normally any symptoms or pain even if it looks ok go away once removed.... We didn't like that option. General anesthesia with a possible perfectly healthy appendix didn't sound like the right choice. So we asked if we could just go home for the night (we had been there from 8am-6pm and I wasn't allowed to eat or drink the entire time, I did finally get IV fluids though, because they were all convinced I was going to need surgery) and if he could ok that. He agreed that was the best choice considering all the info and so I came home, slept, ate soup, slept more and woke up this morning feeling about 90% better.

My midwife is now actually convinced, and I can't say I disagree with her, now that we know it's not a bursting appendix, that it's severe round ligament pain (both pregnancies my babies sit on the left so it pulls extra hard on the right side) ALONG with this emotional stuff that she thought was the reason why I went to the ER a few months ago. She says it's manifesting physically because I'm not dealing with it emotionally... you know, the theory of stress can = dis ease. Which I fully believe in. So here I am starting the work on my emotional trauma (guilt from it taking 6 months for us to find my sons tongue and lip tie that was causing him to lose weight and a host of other issues).

"H's mom

I had an MRI when I was 6 months pregnant. They didn't do the contrast, as I'm sure you didn't either, and they told me the same thing that there was no evidence that it was harmful, but no guarantees either. The rest of my pregnancy went normally and I had a healthy, normal baby boy (although he's driving me up the ever livin' wall with his whinniness lately, see other thread, but that's just regular toddler behavior).

Don't worry, you did what you had to do. I'm glad to hear that your appendix is ok and I hope the rest of your pregnancy is uneventful. :-) "

So, after all that (long explaination, sorry) I trust that we made the right decision at the time of getting the MRI. We cried and prayed and felt like we needed to know, and we did get answers, the answer to go home and not do surgery. Just scares me that we subjected her to some pretty strong MR imaging regardless of the outcome.
It's so good to hear your son is being a healthy, whiny , kid. Thank you for sharing your experience.

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I haven't had one but I know that this is common in the oncology world. I know I have seen several women on a Hodgkins board that I go to, that got diagnosed while pregnant. So if you don't get many answers here you may try to go to a breast cancer, lymphoma, or other cancer board to see what people say.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
JulieBeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes, I had one when I was pregnant with Maddy. No complications and she is a healthy, extremely bright almost 3 year old. Hugs to you mama!

Always in our hearts- 8/30/11, 11 weeks 4 days & 12/16/11, 5 weeks.
JulieBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Yes I had an MRI of my brain because I came into the ER with a terrible gestational headache. I went to the ER because I wanted some anti-emetics (I couldn't even keep down water) but they totally over-reacted and told us I had a brain hemorrhage. They gave me a lead shield to place over my abdomen to protect the baby. Haven't had any issues.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #9
ALNaturMom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had one last month. The baby doesn't receive any radiation like they do with x-rays or CT scans. There has never been a single documented case of anyone being harmed by a no-contrast MRI, but there is evidence that radiation causes harm. They wanted to do an x-ray on my back, but I refused, so they did the MRI instead.
ALNaturMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
weesej
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had an MRI at 15 weeks with DD #1...she is perfect and gifted! It was due to a cancer scare.

I also had an MRI at 35 weeks with #7, appendix scare same as you. however they couldn't visualize it and I also had a CT Scan. He is 3 yo now and seems fine...no delays, totally healthy etc!

"It's not healthy to have spirochetes eating away at your brain" What do you know about Lyme?
weesej is offline   Reply With Quote