Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #11
sillyutalktome
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I really want a woven but...

I could never get comfy in a gauze wrap. I liked an Ellaroo for summer in Texas.

Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #12
Cdra
Registered Users
seller
seller

Dh is buying me a wrap!!! I almost can't believe it and need to make a move before he changes his mind.

I've read some good things about vatanai. I went to slingomama.com and saw this.

http://www.slingomama.nl/en/vatanai-...a-4-meter.html

So would this be a Good choice for a beginner? I've only used a moby before and now a boba 3G (which I love). I'm looking for something not too heavy for summer and easy for a new wrapper.

Thoughts?
Old 06-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #13
anne-girl
Registered Users

I learned on a Gypsymama so I'd vote against it for any beginner but the most determined. ;-) From what I've heard of Vatanai, they'd be easier to learn on and should be light enough for summer. Some people find them not supportive enough as baby gets bigger; if you're not planning on owning several or selling/buying often that's something to consider.

I found my Chimparoo (similar to a BBSlen) comfy for summer but I was only using it for back carries--if you're doing more front/multi-layer carries then you'll be comparatively hotter.

There's a great sticky-ed thread at TBW about what size to pick. I'd recommend one that you can do most, but not all carries in. I learned on a 5.2m wrap and it's way too long for most of the shorter-wrap carries; my 4.2m wrap is much easier (I'm size 12-ish). Keep in mind while choosing size that bust size can make a bigger difference than dress size if you're trying to do front carries, esp for nursing.
anne-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #14
Cdra
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne-girl
I learned on a Gypsymama so I'd vote against it for any beginner but the most determined. ;-) From what I've heard of Vatanai, they'd be easier to learn on and should be light enough for summer. Some people find them not supportive enough as baby gets bigger; if you're not planning on owning several or selling/buying often that's something to consider.

I found my Chimparoo (similar to a BBSlen) comfy for summer but I was only using it for back carries--if you're doing more front/multi-layer carries then you'll be comparatively hotter.

There's a great sticky-ed thread at TBW about what size to pick. I'd recommend one that you can do most, but not all carries in. I learned on a 5.2m wrap and it's way too long for most of the shorter-wrap carries; my 4.2m wrap is much easier (I'm size 12-ish). Keep in mind while choosing size that bust size can make a bigger difference than dress size if you're trying to do front carries, esp for nursing.
Thanks for the help. I went ahead and bought the vatanai. It's a size 6 I believe. I can't wait to get it. I do plan on getting to experiment but hopefully not too many. I got carried away with diapers. I can't justify an extensive woven stash to dh.

I tried a hoppediz in a size 7 last night. It's way too long I was able to do a front carry (don't know what it's called) but have to wrap it around myself too many times. I think I'm going to practice with it until the vatanai comes in then sell it.

Last edited by Cdra; 06-30-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Cdra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:22 PM   #15
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

As a new wrapper, I find it's easiest to learn one or two carries for front and one or two for back. and that's it! There are so many different carries it can get confusing. I have wraps in a 2, 4, 5, and 6. I like to keep it simple though, and still prefer carries that are reinforced. I still love a front wrap cross carry and my wrapee is almost 17 months old.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:37 PM   #16
aubreyaks
Registered Users
seller
seller

I found zaras to be great learner wraps. Start with a siize six, it is about the same length as a moby. I would NOT get a storch or hopp as a learner wrap! I am pretty experienced now and still find them harder to use than a zara!and theyre thick and hot. Now that I am more experienced, I prefer a size 4and have been selling off my longer wraps or chopping them. In general, wraps hold their value much better than say, diapers, at some point you just have to take the plunge and try something. The clearance section of Birdie's room. No Zaras, but Didy makes awesome wraps as well#