View Poll Results: Use Pullups or undies on the trip?
Pullups 16 69.57%
Undies 6 26.09%
Other - explain 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #21
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Re: Pullups or undies (newly PL'd on a road trip)

We do have square mattress / crib protector pads that I would sit him on in the carseat so that any accidents wouldn't get his carseat wet. But yeah, I'm not sure. Hmm...

Advertisement

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #22
isaacsmum
Registered Users

I'd go with undies. No need to change the routine any more that necessary, and pullups just encourage a regression. My DS was a little older when he potty trained (almost 3), but he went on a 10hr car trip with my mom shortly after he trained. He did fine in the undies - they just made a lot of stops, and I stocked her car up with wipes and towel just in case. Didn't need them though.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #23
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Pullups! Picture hearing "I have to pee" in the middle of a traffic jam. I would not want to try to clean a pee soaked carseat at a rest stop either.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:29 PM   #24
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Isn't it unsafe to put anything between the carseat and the kid?

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DS Forum
Old 06-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #25
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Pullups don't have to equal regression. We told the kids they were special big girl/boy underwear. We used them at night for a bit and for long road trips. They aren't the same as a diaper since you can pull them up like underwear.

Pull ups for sure. You will already be making plenty of pee stops, sometimes they will go and sometimes not. What if he doesn't say anything and does go. You should not add anything to the car seat, it will affect how they sit in it.

I would not put anything extra in the car seat. It will affect the child's safety.

Last edited by ajane; 06-21-2012 at 06:39 PM.
ajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #26
drunkenmonkeysmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajane
Pullups don't have to equal regression. We told the kids they were special big girl/boy underwear. We used them at night for a bit and for long road trips. They aren't the same as a diaper since you can pull them up like underwear.

Pull ups for sure. You will already be making plenty of pee stops, sometimes they will go and sometimes not. What if he doesn't say anything and does go. You should not add anything to the car seat, it will affect how they sit in it.

I would not put anything extra in the car seat. It will affect the child's safety.
Agree with every word.
My ds had been day and mostly night trained for months,and then a couple of weeks before we left for vacation he started peeing at night again. I did NOT want to have to haul around wet trainers out of town again, so a nice mama traded me for a few pull ups. We told him they were vacation night time pants and he had no issues with it.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #27
missdawn25
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When ds was newly trained we put him in diapers for our road trip and told him they were just in case mommy and daddy could not get to a potty fast enough for him. He ever wet in them, but we felt safer just in in case.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #28
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Pull ups. Cleaning a dirty diaper accident is way easier on the road than cleaning a kid, carseat, etc.

Last edited by JeDeeLenae; 06-21-2012 at 07:44 PM.
JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:36 PM   #29
mrosehughes
Registered Users
seller

We did a flight plus four hour drive with DS early May and he trained in Feb/Mar. I would just go with undies, or cloth trainers (like Hanna's) if you have them. What we did with DS is just tell him that we all had to use the potty when we could because we wouldn't get to go at certain points during the flight/drive, then went potty pretty frequently. For the first few hours he was in a pull up though bc that's what he sleeps in and we left at 4am. He didn't have any accidents.

ETA: my answer changes to pull ups if the likelihood of poopy accidents is high.

Last edited by mrosehughes; 06-21-2012 at 10:55 PM.
mrosehughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #30
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

When DS was in this stage, we did both -- undies with a pull up over. That way if he did pee, it didn't get all over everything. And, he could still feel he was wet, so it didn't have the regression aspect of pull ups. If he didn't pee, then we could reuse the pull up. We actually did that for overnight for probably a couple of months, until he was reliably waking up dry every morning.