Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
Hi-Dog
Registered Users
seller
seller

Leaking milk out of pumping breastshields

I have a Medela PIS and I have tried using both the 24mm and 27mm shields and I get leaks out the bottom (on the side touching my breast). . . I have an Easy Expression bra from Medela and it ends up half soaked with lost milk (which makes me cry because it's a miracle if I can pump more than an ounce in one sitting). I really can't waste a precious drop and I am growing really frustrated. Either I am doing something wrong or there is a serious design flaw with pumping shields in general.

Any advice from pumpers out there are on how to make my shields seal tighter so they don't leak?

Thanks in advance from a desperate and discouraged mama

Advertisement

Hi-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Leaking milk out of pumping breastshields

I see the thread has several views... I hope other mamas come up with some good advice for you.

The only times I've had issues with leaking around the edges is when I've either had some moisture already on the phlange (for wicking issues), or failing to lean forward enough (while pumping or while disengaging afterwards).

If it makes you feel any better, on the rare occasions I've spilled part of a bottle of milk while disconnecting or transfering, I've known how much there was beforehand, and I know how wet my clothes got, and it wasn't as much lost as I would have assumed.

Good luck mama!
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:42 AM   #3
LaughingPeaMama
Registered Users
Formerly: RedShoes
seller

I have had less problems now that I switched to bigger shields. Maybe try the pumping pals kind. They are angled down. I still have some issue with leaks but not as much as when I used the 24 mm
Wife to my soulmate since 7/12/03 mom to dd 2/9/09 and ds 1/5/12 and angel baby 10/07. Infertility survivor!ISO(willing to trade my FSOT items for) snapped unpaper towels EEEEUC or NEW heavy/long mama cloth
FSOT NOTE: SMOKE FREE DOG FRIENDLY HOME. EVERYTHING IS LINT BRUSHED BUT STRAY HAIRS WILL BE FOUND. IF THIS BOTHERS YOU DON'T FSOT WITH ME PLEASE
LaughingPeaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
Hi-Dog
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingPeaMama
I have had less problems now that I switched to bigger shields. Maybe try the pumping pals kind. They are angled down. I still have some issue with leaks but not as much as when I used the 24 mm
I looked up those Pumpin Pals and they look great! I think I am going to order some. Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 07-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #5
skolbut
Registered Users
seller
seller

I know this thread is a little older, but I need to share my trick. I always keep a kitchen towel in my pump and I tuck it underneath my girls while I'm pumping. Like I wad it lengthwise and put it under where an underwire would go. It props them up into the right spot and I don't leak. Then I have a towel to use when I disengage the pump and use it to wipe the flanges so they don't drip.
B... newly type II diabetic, wife to B 9/16/05, mama to B 1/23/07 H 9/27/08 (after three years of GI issues FINALLY getting a celiac diagnosis!) and our miracle baby C who joined us 9/6/2011, and is forever greatful to his "milk mamas" who pump for us! We do lots of crunchy things and some soggy things, too.
skolbut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #6
dnh
Registered Users

i didnt read all the replies, so excuse me if this as already mentioned.. but it seems to me that you probably have milk coming out of a hole or some holes in your areola. it doesnt always come out of only the tip of your nipple. anyway, putting some lanolin around the edges of the shield can do great at sealing it off too.. also leaning forward so whatever does want to dribble out, dribbles down into the bottle. and one more thing.. dont lose heart! the breasts have to kind of 'learn' to be pumped. keep at it and you will get let down faster and your breasts will put our more.
dnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
an_aurora
Registered Users

I always had to lean forward a little while I was sitting and pumping.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote