Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
hiding57
Registered Users
seller

au pairs?

So I'm getting sick of doing the babysitter go round and finding a new babysitter every few months. Also tired of the nonsense of having to pay someone for two hours so i can go to work for a one hour meeting. Also Need to work more because we have a lot of medical and other bills right now.
Daycare for 3 around here would be $1200 a month and then they'd have to get up early and they probably wouldn't nap enough (we had that problem with my oldest anyway and she only needed 1.5-2 hours of naps a day my littles need 2-3 minimum.) So I was thinking about maybe an au pair. I was wondering

What do they cost per month, I want to know from people wo've done it not just a range.
If they don't work out do you still pay the agency fee?
If you had one was it a good alternative to traditional day care or would you rather have done day care?
Anything else?

Advertisement

hiding57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: au pairs?

Hoping someone else chimes in here too... I'd love to hear the same as OP!

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
pharmmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a nanny, not an au pair, but nannies4hire has a really good overview about the differences and the total costs associated with an au pair. It's not just the stipend you pay them weekly, there are also placement fees and such that you have to cover up front. Check it out here http://www.nannies4hire.com/tips/959...vs-nannies.htm
Pharmacist, wife to a nerdy chemist, and proud mama to Leta (12/2006), Derek (4/2009) and Viola (7/2012). Now if only I could figure out a way to quit my job and still pay my student loans all would be well with the world.
pharmmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Great link! Guess we'd be more thinking nanny type. We don't have enough bedrooms for another live in!

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:53 AM   #5
Mommimi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have several friends who have used Au Pairs and liked it. 1) If you do go through an agency (which is recommended) you do have to pay ~3K upfront but they will guarantee and a good match and will replace your Au Pair if things does not work out with current one. 2) You have to have suitable living space - own private room. You are responsible for her food also. 2) You pay a weekly stipend $196/week for 45 hrs of work (more in certain locations due to cost of living): http://www.interexchange.org/au-pair...hild-care-less 3) Au pair may work up to 45 hours per week and up to 10 hours per day. 4) Your au pair also earns days off and vacation time while working for your family 5) They are required to take 6 units of course and you must allow them to do so (often meaning driving your vehicle or time allotted to take public transportation in city). You must give them time off for monthly cluster meetings and activities organized by your local coordinator. Many of the Au Pair intent is to stay in US (often via marriage). Au Pair's J-I Visa is only valid for 2 years, so you'll have to get a new one every two years.

If daycare for ALL 3 is only $1,200 a month then Au Pair will probably break even.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
ammcmaho
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

we have an au pair and wouldn't change the experience. the big thing is if your kid is sick, you can't send them to day care... so you either find a sick care (for even more) OR you take the day off... sometimes the sniffles stay 3 days... thenwhat?
Paying for two in child care? An au pair may be cheaper! Great for families who need flexibility!
ammcmaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
ammcmaho
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

if anyone has specific questions, feel free to pm me or email me amanda . mcmahon @gmail
Paying for two in child care? An au pair may be cheaper! Great for families who need flexibility!
ammcmaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
hiding57
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the info. I forgot I posted this thread. *blush* lots of good info. My hubby can stay home if they are sick but the sick thing is one of the advantages I thought of. It nice to save days for later and I cannot stay home no matter how sick so it's not like I can be there anyway.
hiding57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
doodah
Registered Users
seller

I think a nanny would be a really good option!
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #10
FrozenBooty
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would love an aupair I have the room but coming up with the 3000 up front is impossible.

FrozenBooty is offline   Reply With Quote