Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-22-2012, 08:20 AM   #11
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: No commute or more money?

Well, how badly do you need 25K more? You won't be spending 25k in gas, but there might be some wear and tear on your car over time. Losing almost 2 hours a day is tough, but DH does a longer commute for just a bit more money. He's been doing it for almost 8 years and I've been commuting half an hour for 3 years now (not because of salary concerns but because there are no jobs in our state).

Also make sure your DH is willing to help out more around the house and with the kids, because a 40 minute commute can turn into an hour and a half nightmare with traffic and weather conditions.

I honestly would not let extra miles come between me and my decision if money was an issue. You have to make certain sacrifices to support your family.

Advertisement

keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:20 AM   #12
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I would do the commute too. That is a lot of money for only 40 min.
missydawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:49 AM   #13
Sylvie89
Registered Users
seller
seller

I took a promotion at work for 15k more, but instead of working only 4 days per week, I now work 5. I regret it! I wish I could go back to 4 days.
Sylvie89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #14
flynnsmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Well, we don't really "need" more money as we are minimalist. However, one day we wand to buy a new house, take vacations, etc. Also, at my current job every year I do more work, have more students ect and get paid LESS money. It is obscene. So career wise the district with more money is better. My DH will do more around the house, he has been a SAHD before. However, I will still have to do a lot because that is life.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:53 AM   #15
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thats a tough decision I am looking at a 1.5 hour commute, but I work 12 hour shifts twice a week, and the pay is a lot more then close to home. I'm not sure I could justify a long commute if I worked 5 days a week though.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:09 AM   #16
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

A 40 min commute is nothing, IMO. Where I live many people have an hour or more commute to work. I drove 30 min each way for a job I loved, and the pay wasn't that great. I would absolutely do it for $25k more.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #17
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

My dad drove about the far each way for many years. He missed out on a lot of family time and now lives literally 5 minutes from work. I feel the same way, since I missed out on a lot of time with my dad, I would choose less $. After tax and the cost of gas/wear on the car, idk if I would consider it worth over an hour less time with my family each day.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #18
jamieism
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
That is a hard one. We are likely moving to a new city and I will be commuting. I think we are going to live on the far sde of town from my work bc that is the side that is both cheaper and more "us." but I suspect my commute will be 40minutes.

That said, dh right now commutes 80 minutes or more and it is AWFUL. And crazy expensive. After parking and train fare (or parking and wear and tear on our older cars) we figured we could easily withstand a $20k pay cut to get him closer.

Have you considered moving? We would never do that as we love where we are and DH works in an inner city (deep inner city) district.

I think for $25k I would do the commute. But if the other district were decent I would look at moving. Or half way in between, so 20mins for you and 20 for dh?

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
Old 06-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #19
flynnsmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

We considered moving put our house on the market, and chose a new one. Our house fell out of escrow with the buyer and then there was a gang shooting a mile from where we were going to buy....so not moving for now. I want to make sure I like the new job before we move, plus we need to really research and ponder where to buy. If we move I will still have a 20 minute commute. It is just not safe to live where I teach. We currently live in a beautiful small town with lost of good friends and a tiny mortgage. If we move our mortgage will be double. This is ok eventually as we want a nicer house. However, we just need to be sure I like the job to avoid a costly mistake.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #20
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I commute 30 minutes (50 if I have to pick the kids up) for more money. It is worth it...I love spending it, and generally it is spent on the kiddos.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote