Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #21
DCAMama
Registered Users
Formerly: dm**ge
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: No commute or more money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post
i dont even make 25k a year, i would jump at the chance to to make that much more just to drive further.
Me too.

Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #22
Amaggiepie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I took a pay cut (from salary to hourly) and benefits cut to move closer to home. I make maybe $5K less now and have no paid time off, but I'm 7 minutes from home (15 with dropping the kids at daycare). Before, I had nearly an hour commute each way. While I wish I made more and really miss the paid time off, I love knowing I'm close to my babies if they need me, and getting home a little earlier really helps with cooking dinner, etc. I would technically be eligible for paid time off after I've been here a year (in August) but Im planning on asking to cut my hours to part time (9-3 instead of 8:30-5) so that I can pick up my DD from school. I'm sure benefits will then be a non issue, but I will also be able to schedule afternoon appointments and go outside of work hours.

Good luck with your decision. *hugs*
Amaggiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #23
flynnsmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaggiepie View Post
I took a pay cut (from salary to hourly) and benefits cut to move closer to home. I make maybe $5K less now and have no paid time off, but I'm 7 minutes from home (15 with dropping the kids at daycare). Before, I had nearly an hour commute each way. While I wish I made more and really miss the paid time off, I love knowing I'm close to my babies if they need me, and getting home a little earlier really helps with cooking dinner, etc. I would technically be eligible for paid time off after I've been here a year (in August) but Im planning on asking to cut my hours to part time (9-3 instead of 8:30-5) so that I can pick up my DD from school. I'm sure benefits will then be a non issue, but I will also be able to schedule afternoon appointments and go outside of work hours.

Good luck with your decision. *hugs*

Thanks for sharing your story. I would never make his change for $5,000 or even $10,000 more, as the time spent on the road would negate the profit. However, this job just pays so much more than my old one it is possibly a once in a lifetime chance. When DS was a baby I got offered a better job that paid about 15,000$ more but would have been 70 minutes away. I could not move at that time as we had just bought our house, so I had to turn the offer down. Now he is older, the commute time is less, the salary is the best I can possibly get and if I want to move closer we are in a position to do so. I am freaking out about the commute day in and day out though. I feel I should give it a chance though, especially as I have someone to carpool with.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #24
kbz2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

The amount is huge so I would have to look at what I would bring home to really figure out if it's worth it. If you are up in a new tax bracket, between increase in taxes, clothing, gas, parking prices, etc it might not be as large as it is.

After DD came I re-evaluated my career. While I used to love what I was doing, I took a job making around 6,000 less so I could be with dd more. Both jobs have me working full time hours but the new job I bring home my work less, if dd is sick I can bring her with me, and they are just so much more flexible with my hours if I ever need to take time off.

It took a bit of adjustment to get used to the less pay but it turned out to be the BEST decision I made. I'm happier, healthier and so much more focused too (I even lost about 40lbs that I was trying forever to lose before and never could... doctor said stress and hormone related). While sometimes the money gets tight and I think it would be easier I know that I made the right decision. Especially since a few month after I left my old department they did layoffs, and they have done layoffs about 3x since I worked there. In fact my old department has been basically outsourced to India, so I really made the right decision.

It's hard not to get hung up on the income potential, but it's amazing what a little change can do for you and your family and sometimes you just find a way.

Now if it was a $25K difference, that might have made me stay.

Good luck with your decision!

Last edited by kbz2002; 06-28-2012 at 07:17 AM.
kbz2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:21 AM   #25
flynnsmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Part of this decision is that if I stay at my current job DH and I (both in the same district) might each face a 20 percent pay cut. It would be after the November elections if certain fiscal matters do not pass. If they don't pass, then suddenly teachers in our district would continue working the same hours, but make 20 percent less. Scary because that would be a 40 percent drop in our income. So, I am trying to save my family from possible financial doom. In the new district, I would be getting a raise of about 3 thousand dollars each year on the salary schedule. Now because CA has such terrible budget issues, the new district could make cuts one day as well. However, it is easier to sustain cuts from a salary in the $66,000 range rather than in the $38,000 range. This morning I woke up next to DS and was really sad thinking about having less time with him though. Dang it's hard to put on your big girl panties and be an adult sometimes.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:22 AM   #26
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hope your state doesn't do what Indiana did--no more salary schedule for teachers. We have to beg our principals for raises just like in corporate America. It totally sucks.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #27
artangelsp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We lived close to work for awhile but hated the neighborhood we lived in and couldn't afford our own house. We now live close to grandparents, own our house again and both of us commute,40 mins and 30 mins each but it's worth it for getting the benefits we get and living somewhere we like.
artangelsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:33 PM   #28
flynnsmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
Hope your state doesn't do what Indiana did--no more salary schedule for teachers. We have to beg our principals for raises just like in corporate America. It totally sucks.
Wow. That is crazy. Does that mean the principals can give individuals raises based on being really good teachers? Do you get cost of living increases at all?Although we have a salary schedule it is a joke. Due to furlough days we make less money each year anyway.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #29
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just wishing you the best with your decision. As a pp suggested, I would really look at the numbers, especially if you get pushed up into the next tax bracket to the real amount that you are bringing home. Also, would the benefits be any different? That would be something else to think about. The chance at both of you taking a 20% cut in pay and all the furlough days would have me going for the new job, but I think it is still smart to look at the big picture before you make a decision. Good luck!
Old 07-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #30
flynnsmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

The decision is made, I will definitely be commuting. However, we continue to look at real estate closer to my new job. I just want to make sure I like the job before moving. Please keep giving me input about what you would do in such a situation though as the responses are food for thought.