Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-22-2012, 08:42 AM   #1
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Blackberry overload

Needing some ideas on what to do with all these blackberries. We found two more big patches in addition to the ones we already knew about, and I'm running out of things to do with them. So far we have:

Made jam. Enough for us for the year + gifts.

Frozen berries. (enough for cooking and eating throughout the year)

Canned in juice. Enough for us for the year

Made cobblers

Made berry rolls

Made breakfast pastries

Eaten fresh

Dehydrated

Any ideas or recipies would be great--I've got another 2 gallons in the fridge and we need to pick some more tonight!

Advertisement

jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:46 AM   #2
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Blackberry overload

If you have what you need until next year you could sell what you pick. Our local feed store sells them for $18 a gallon for wild blackberries and $23 a gallon for tame. If you still have room to freeze, that is what I would do though. We always think we have enough and end up running out a couple of months early.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I agree, sell them. There's always someone who doesn't want to crawl into the brambles to pick them. Gosh I wish I had your problems. About all I could get my "fill" of out here is mesquite and jojoba nuts. LOL
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Selling is a good idea. I wasn't sure how much to charge. And I'm adding other things we've done with them that I forgot. Muffins, pancakes, smoothies, popsicles, and fruit strips. I may make a few more fruit strips (how long do they keep?) and freeze a few more. I only wish my raspberries did this well this year--something ate almost all of them!
Old 06-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was browsing the Pioneer Woman website last night. There were a few different recipes/things you can do.

Blackberry syrup (not sure if you can can/freeze that?? I'd think so, but IDK for sure)
Berry Butter (sounds soooo good! and i bet you cna freeze this)
Crumb Cake (this specific one is blueberry, but you could easily use blackberries instead)
Add some to Breakfast Casserole
Cobbler
Fruit Pizza
Cheesecake

There's tons more of ideas too. Those are just some of the ones I thought of when I saw this post.
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #6
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Try these- they are excellent. Uses a whole jar of jam for an 8x8 pan. You can sub applesauce for butter if you like. When i make it I don sub applesauce for butter, use half whole wheat and half white flour and just scoop the sugar- i never use the full cup. Everyone loves them. http://www.theleangreenbean.com/reci...ipe_id=6012619

By berry rolls do you mean fruit leather? If not you can make fruit leather with them.

Last edited by jbug_4; 06-22-2012 at 12:24 PM.
jbug_4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
Try these- they are excellent. Uses a whole jar of jam for an 8x8 pan. You can sub applesauce for butter if you like. When i make it I don sub applesauce for butter, use half whole wheat and half white flour and just scoop the sugar- i never use the full cup. Everyone loves them. http://www.theleangreenbean.com/reci...ipe_id=6012619

By berry rolls do you mean fruit leather? If not you can make fruit leather with them.
YUM. Those look good! I also printed off pretty much every recipie from the pp above you. Lots of yummy ideas there too. By berry rolls I meant a berry filled bread that I found a recipie for. They're kinda roll shaped and very yummy. But fruit leather is what I meant later down when I said that I had also made fruit strips--my kids love those. I think I'm going to make a few more when the other blackberries get out of the dehydrator. They're taking a *long* time!
Old 06-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #8
brookglen
Registered Users

I'm really quite jealous of your problem. I'd probably make decadent stuff like blackberries soaked in sweet liquor for ice cream, bb syrup, bb tatin cake, freeze the black berries then toss them in a food processor with some agave and make sorbet. Ina Garten has a plum tarte tatin recipe that I bet would be amazing with blackberries.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...ipe/index.html
brookglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #9
roseyroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

soooo jealous! I love blackberry cobbler or blackberry dumplings....
Old 06-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #10
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

You have blackberries already?!!!! We have black raspberry's right now but our blackberries do not come in season until August I'm in Wisconsin so its kinda cold up here..
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote