Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-22-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
chach4
Registered Users
seller

SPD - symphysis pubis dysfunction

I think there is another name for this too, but do any of you mamas have experience with this?

Have been having pain for about 6 weeks, thought it was just pregnancy aches and pains. Until about a week ago it got worse. Hurts to walk, sit, roll over in bed and get out of bed, pretty much moving of my leg's of any kind hurts. Oh and standing on one leg-OUCH. Hurts on my left side "down there".

If any of u have had it, what helped?

Advertisement

chach4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
Mommy2LivandNoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: SPD - symphysis pubis dysfunction

DDC, I have had this with my last 3 pregnancies, only thing that helped me was soaking in the tub, and seeing a chiropractor who knows how to treat this specifically..(a warm rice sock helps some, as does a pillow between the legs at night.)
Old 06-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ugh, yes. I don't know what specifically is wrong with me ("pelvic girdle pain"? SPD?) but it sucks. Sometimes it's hard to walk at all. Sometimes I will try to roll over in bed and can barely do it and I feel like crying it hurts so bad. Sometimes I feel pretty good, but other times it is agonizing just to stand up or walk upstairs.

I've wondered if I have sciatica as well, even though I know it isn't as common in pregnant women as most believe. But I've had some leg and foot numbness, and some pretty bad shooting pains. It isn't consistent, just once in awhile.

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?

Last edited by wordbox; 06-22-2012 at 01:01 PM.
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #4
luvthefluff
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ugh its the worste! especially walking up stairs and having to lift your leg...i havent found anything that works ease the pain..it just comes and goes for me..sorry mamma!
Old 06-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
rosenfried2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ddc. I had sciatica for 3 weeks .. It was severe and brought me to tears every day. The only thing that helped was chiropractor visits every other day and a prenatal massage. It got baby to move and I've been free of that pain ever since.

Follow me at my blog:Rosenfried's Ramblings
rosenfried2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
jakeysmama
Registered Users
seller

It's awful, isn't it?! Some days I can't even lift my leg to put pants on. Other days its pretty tolerable. I have narrowed in on certain activities that make it worse and try to limit those, but its pretty tough to do.

They sell support belts that you can get to help take some of the pressure off. Like others have said, there are chiropractors that specialize in this as well. I think my OB said that wearing a feminine hygiene pad can help too, but I'm not sure why?
Old 06-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
bohemianxchaos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have this too, plus my already bad back and hips. Chiro chiro chiro. I go once a week and its been my saving grace. Some days are still so bad i can barely move though. I do rice bags, and hydrate like crazy, and do the unthinkable sometimes - take some tylenol or ibu. I also try to stretch my legs/lower back. Not so easy this far in. Huggg.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #8
ecomother
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think the other name is pubic diastasis. I have the pubic bone pain like you are describing too and it makes me waddle like a penguin, ugh!!! It's so painful, like being kicked in the crotch (sorry, no better way to describe it). I think it's due to the relaxin hormone loosening the hips up, and the pubic bone is a part of it. In addition to the pubic bone pain I have pain in my upper buttocks area where the sacroiliac joints are, so that's like being kicked in the butt, lol! I think this is what's causing the backs of my thighs to ache too, like sciatica.

Sleeping on my side is terrible, with or without pillows between my knees so I've had to start sleeping in a semi-upright position for most of the night. I read that keeping the knees together and avoiding squatting positions helps reduce the pain, maybe this is why I ended up in a kneeling position with my legs close together in my last two births?

I've never been to a chiro, guess I'm too much of a skeptic. I take Tylenol and Ibuprofen though, some days I just can't bear the pain!
Old 06-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
chach4
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the replies ladies!. Glad to know I'm not alone.
I have some pain in the sacroilliac joint as well. Is love to go to chiro, but just not really in the budget. Maybe if I can get a refferal or something from doc it'll be covered. Ha, wishful thinking.
I did sew a rice bag last night. Made a pillowcase for it too. Don't really think it helped but I'm gonna keep trying it. It felt great on my neck tho.
Hoping that this pain doesn't get worse. But I'm guessing as time goes on.
chach4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
rosenfried2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chach4
Thanks for the replies ladies!. Glad to know I'm not alone.
I have some pain in the sacroilliac joint as well. Is love to go to chiro, but just not really in the budget. Maybe if I can get a refferal or something from doc it'll be covered. Ha, wishful thinking.
I did sew a rice bag last night. Made a pillowcase for it too. Don't really think it helped but I'm gonna keep trying it. It felt great on my neck tho.
Hoping that this pain doesn't get worse. But I'm guessing as time goes on.
My chiro appt aren't in bid get either but I couldn't live with the pain and a 2 yo at home so we made it a priority for mom to function. It's a serious pain to be in pain!

Follow me at my blog:Rosenfried's Ramblings
rosenfried2 is offline   Reply With Quote