Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #11
alliecatn1
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yup, the rotavirus vaccine must be started by 15 weeks, if you miss that cutoff then she will not be able to get it (similar to other vaccines with certain timeframes). The last dose of the vaccine is given by six months, no babies are given it after that which is why it has to be started by 15 weeks.
There are risks for all vaccines, though rare. In the end you have to weigh the risk of the vaccine against the risk of the disease. Personally I won't be getting it for our new baby. Rotavirus causes diarrhea. I think if you are good at pushing fluids and monitoring for signs of dehydration then the risks associated with rotavirus are minimal. Babies will get diarrhea for other reasons as well so the vaccine does not prevent all diarrhea, only from the one time they may get rotavirus.
My pregnant brain is having a hard time forming complete thoughts, hopefully I made a little sense here, hehe!

Advertisement

Over the moon!! After 17 months of TTC, our sweet miracle, Corwin Gregory, was born August 29, 2012!! ...And our surprise baby #2 is due April 16, 2014

Last edited by alliecatn1; 06-22-2012 at 08:52 PM.
alliecatn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #12
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Re: I don't know what to do (vaccinations)

Here is the CDC's list of side effects from vaccination. Note that many of the side effects listed have not been causally related to the vaccines, but because a particular reation was observed, it is listed (regardless of whether they can tell if there is any relationship other than in time).

Here is the CDC's listing of vaccination ingredients. Please note when you look at the list that some ingredients listed sound scary, but many simply have scary designations and in fact are pretty innocent and it really takes an understanding of chemistry to really understand what some of these are.

Here is the CDC's overview of vaccine preventable diseases.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #13
Huxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Everyone makes great sense. I am feeling somewhat pressured, but to me it feels wrong to put something in such young baby. I am not against vaccinations, I just don't know if they are for us right now. I weigh my baby weekly a health unit and they keep reminding me of her vaccines.
Huxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #14
Huxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for the ingredients. I am in Canada, but I think most are the same. I for the life of me could not find those anywhere!
Huxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #15
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Here is the package insert for rotateq.

http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_...rotateq_pi.pdf

Be back with the actual ingredient list.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #16
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Here is the list of ingredients from the fda insert.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Biologi.../UCM100266.pdf
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:18 AM   #17
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

I didn't do the rotavirus, though I did the other vaccinations. I didn't feel that rotavirus was as dangerous as some of the other illnesses, I'm cautious about new vaccinations and I'm not comfortable with that swine virus that's in the vaccine. I was really stressed about whether to vaccinate or not as many of my friends don't but that kinda made me want to. Anyway, after she got the other vaccinations (we're in Canada so she got the regular ones on time), she didn't have any reaction much at all other than a sore leg and I was much more relaxed about it. Now I'm just trying to decide to split up the 3 shots they give at 1 year.
I know there's scary stuff either side, but I wouldn't focus on the scary stories. Most kids don't have reactions and most kids who aren't vaccinated don't get the terrible illnesses. I think looking at the overall picture helps. And you could always do a delayed schedule.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote