Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-23-2012, 06:31 AM   #1
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Tomato help

I got my plants in a little late this year due to a busy like and crappy weather. However... They are not doing well!! They don't seem to be growing like they should...almost like they're stunted.

I had a few green tomatoes but my ds picked them. I planted Better Boy and 2 cherry tomato plants that ds1 picked out.

Any tips for me?? They are in a mostly sunny area with cages. I water almost daily... They are in a well-drained area I've used miracle grow on them once.

I live on the edge of zone 4-5 technically I'm 5.

Thanks for sharing your expertise!!

Advertisement

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:50 AM   #2
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

Re: Tomato help

Use osmote unless it is miracle grow for tomatoes. Regular miracle grow does not have everthing tomatoes need. Lay off the water. Once the plants are established, they only need to be watered every 5-7 days. Tomatoes do really well in hot dry weather. Pluck some of the blooms off and the remaining tomatoes will get bigger and more flavorful. My fil (he was a farmer)gave me these instructions and I grow amazing tomatoes. I haven't had a lot of luck with other stuff in my garden but my tomatoes are always stunning. Mine seem to be growing 2-6 inches a day now that it has gotten hot.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know about anybody elese, but I remove the excess or damaged bottom leaves. Works for me. It gives them more air circulation and more water and nutrients go to the major parts of the plants. I compleatly agree with the above post as well.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
treegirl75
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9
I don't know about anybody elese, but I remove the excess or damaged bottom leaves. Works for me. It gives them more air circulation and more water and nutrients go to the major parts of the plants. I compleatly agree with the above post as well.
How far up the stem do you remove them Sarah? I'm a tomato hypochondriac apparently, I think mine have every disease in the book. I'm tired of worrying, so I'm gonna go with your approach, remove the damage!

Sent from my iPhone that has a mind of its own
Old 06-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

How big are they? It seems like they grow really slow for the first month and then they take off like crazy. I would probably mulch them with some compost but other than that leave them alone. If they are nice and green and you don't see any other cause for concern they are fine. My beefsteak tomatoes took forever to get really going. They were a good foot and 1/2 shorter than all the other plants for a long time. They caught up just last month.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
They have been in about a month. The next time we mow I'll mulch the grass in. I'll just give them a little more time after I pull off a few blooms and clear up a few around the bottom. Thanks ladies!!

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:41 AM   #7
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You may want to hold off on the grass? I hear mixed things about it. It can either cause no issues or can seed in grass and weeds.

It varries on the size/age/variety as to how far I go up. I plant pretty close so I go for a further prune than most who practice this I suppose. You can just take off a cpl of the bottom leaves, the damages ones, the little ones, or so on. Just up to what you think the perticular plant needs. Be sure when you take the leaf off to use a sharp tool and come out a little from the stalk leaveing a bit of stub. The new growth comes out from the base of the leaf. I normally ge new branches from these spots. I have mine tied to a pole system with twine run like fencing. I just tie off the big heavy branches for support. It lets them really sprawl out and climb. I learned this method in ag class in hs and have loved it since. It just works well for me. My maters are growing at least an inch a day. I'm constantly haveing to check the ties. it's worth it for me though. I do have some steaked and they arn't doing as well, but that could be location? My MIL does cages and hers are just HUGE bushes! She purchases already big plants though. Hers are also in almost full shade. Not sure why hers do so well in the shade because all I have learned has told be they love sun and heat. They also do well with lower levels of watering that many garden plants.

Now you could just mulch and slow down on the watering and see what happens?

Whatever you decide GL!!! And have fun.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote