Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #11
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: beetles. beetles. AND more beetles!

You can buy a duster, but I just sprinkle it on the plants. Just a dusting on the effected plant or area of the yard. I read somewhere it was even safe to put on the window ledge. My bag said it was ok it the chickens even ingested some in the dusted soil. I bought food grade though.

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #12
Jenette
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9
You can buy a duster, but I just sprinkle it on the plants. Just a dusting on the effected plant or area of the yard. I read somewhere it was even safe to put on the window ledge. My bag said it was ok it the chickens even ingested some in the dusted soil. I bought food grade though.
Yes, food grade DE only! Not the stuff for pools. We use it on our chickens and in the coop to prevent mites. Just don't breathe it. It's bad for the lungs.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #13
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9
What is a duster?

Amanda . Blaming my phone for typos and crap.
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #14
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: beetles. beetles. AND more beetles!

I have no clue, but I read the directions and it recomended one.
I believe it's something like this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=gard...w=1600&bih=698
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #15
treegirl75
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We just use a little muslin bag that came with DH's beer making kit. My FIL said that he uses panty hose, just cuts off the foot/leg part and puts the DE in the foot. Then you just shake it out!

Sent from my iPhone that has a mind of its own
Old 06-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #16
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks

Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
Old 07-01-2012, 08:22 AM   #17
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
UPDATE!

so we have out Beetle Bag on the other side of the house. We put a bird feeder up and we sprinkles DE in the garden (on the soil and plants).

The beetles are jap and brown beetles are still on the plants. Not as bad as before but they are still there. We put DE around the outside of the house and it has helped with the number of Darkling Beetles inside BUT DH just went outside to get some lettuce and he said the soil in the garden is crawling with Darkling Beetles!!!!

What in the world is going on this year with the beetles? What can we do with the Darklong Beetles in the soil? Are they as damaging as the Brown and Jap. Beetles?