Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-02-2007, 02:45 PM   #1
blissfullyblessed
Registered Users
Formerly: kerstynsmom
seller

My Mood:
how do you fix eggplant?

I'm just wondering other ways to use this veggie. All I ever do is bake it w/a little olive oil and seasonings. I can't have breadings or anything - so that's out. Thanks for your help!

Advertisement

Old 05-02-2007, 02:50 PM   #2
HBuehler
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: how do you fix eggplant?

We like eggplant parmesian(sp? My guy was up 5 times last night) You could do it without breading it just saute and layer with your favorite tomato sauce and sprinkle with a little cheese and bake.
I also have a real good recipe for eggplant,tomatoes,and summer squash but the garden isn't producing yet other than broccoli so I have to wait a bit!
Old 05-02-2007, 04:27 PM   #3
blissfullyblessed
Registered Users
Formerly: kerstynsmom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBuehler View Post
We like eggplant parmesian(sp? My guy was up 5 times last night) You could do it without breading it just saute and layer with your favorite tomato sauce and sprinkle with a little cheese and bake.
I also have a real good recipe for eggplant,tomatoes,and summer squash but the garden isn't producing yet other than broccoli so I have to wait a bit!

thanks - I'd love to get your other recipe
Old 05-02-2007, 04:42 PM   #4
VanIslander
Registered Users

My Mood:

DH and I love eggplant grilled with BBQ sauce. Sounds weird but it's really good! Just make sure the heat isn't too high, or wrap it in foil and keep an eye on it. It seems to burn easily. I also like to make ratatoulle with it. I just saute garlic, a red bell pepper, a couple of small zucchini,some rosemary or other herbs in olive oil and add a can of diced tomatoes. Then I add a roasted diced eggplant. This is really good hot or cold. I eat it on pasta or by itself.
VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:57 PM   #5
pumpkinpiebaby
Registered Users
Formerly: amquaran
seller

Just last night I sliced an eggplant into 1/4" slices, and made little sandwiches out of them. (Make sure to spray the bottom of your pan with some cooking spray before putting the eggplant in.) The filling was 8oz. onion and chive ricotta cheese, 1 egg, and some chopped fresh spinach. I topped the little sandwiches with some tomato sauce and mozzerella cheese and baked at 425 until the eggplant was cooked through. It was pretty good and even my 1 year old gobbled it up! HTH
Old 05-02-2007, 05:44 PM   #6
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

wow, what great ideas!!! I'll have to try that sammich recipe!

I normally fry it up in some butter and garlic salt and garlic pepper with some onions. I cut it up into quarter inch chunks, and fry it up in the frying pan. The kids love it as long as I don't tell them it's eggplant, otherwise they have no problem with it.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:46 PM   #7
Guardandolaluna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I like Chinese Eggplant with terryaki sauce or I make a sauce with hoisin, ginger and garlic and add some tofu or chicken

OR
Grilled Eggplant (salted and then drained and drizzled with olive oil) Thinly sliced and stuffed with goat cheese and sun dried tomatoes

Guardandolaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:34 AM   #8
Amanda2319
Registered Users

My Mood:

I love it breaded and baked, then put it on panini bread with roasted peppers, fresh mozzarella and mushrooms, with balsamic vinegar. Or dice everything and put it in a wrap.

Amanda2319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:39 AM   #9
Mamalicious
Registered Users

My Mood:

We eat asian eggplant that's been cooked in the microwave--put some slits in first--and microwave for 3-5 mins or until tender. Peel the skin off. You have to do it while it's still pretty warm or it won't come off easily. Shred or grate some fresh ginger and serve with soy sauce. My kids like the ginger as long as it's not too much.
Regular eggplant I slice and fry until tender then add some miso paste and coat the eggplant. I also sprinkle some dashi on it but you don't need it. It's a soup base flavouring.
Mamalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:18 PM   #10
alliwantisjb
Registered Users

My Mood:

grilled is good w/o oil and seas.
but in a lasagne is great(no noodles)
alliwantisjb is offline   Reply With Quote