Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Tube falls out...already an ear infection.

DS2 had chronic ear infections from age 6 months until March of 2011 (he had 11 or 12 in that time, it was unreal)...

He was just in at the dr a couple months ago for a check up and the tube was there. But at 2am he woke up screaming bloody murder, said his ear hurt. So we gave him Motrin. He slept until 4am and then cried until 5 when I finally broke down and gave him Tylenol. He slept until 6:30 and woke up again crying. We went in to the dr at 8 and his left tube fell out and he has a raging ear infection in it.

The tube had to have just fell out because it was there in April and now it's not *sigh*

I hope they don't make us wait and wait and wait to get back to the ENT to get them replaced. I don't want to spend the next 6 months going in and out of the doctors office. Last time one of the older 2 got sick almost every single time and my husband got sick twice...I just can't deal with it again.

Plus my poor baby is in pain and I just hate that

Advertisement

Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tube falls out...already an ear infection.

Our son was born with a cleft lip and palate (complete and severe), and we are on his third set of ear tubes. His first was put in at 11 months, he will be three next week. We are on our third type (first was supposed to last about a year, lasted 3 months. Next set 5-10 years...lasted 8 months...this set goes in next week, 3 days before his third birthday.

It is awful Hoping tubes stay in better for you. SO sorry for your LO...it's awful.
MommyLyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh, they told us they'd only last 15-24 months...this one fell out right in there...it's been 16 months. I don't know if we'll go for a more long term set or not...He doesn't have other health issues, just narrow tubes apparently. I just don't even want to bother with trying it without them...I can't stomach him being in pain for the majority of the next 6 months. I'd rather just skip the whole deal and go straight to new tubes.

Plus, I only got like 3 hours of sleep...LOL

With DH being immune compromised I'd prefer the kids NOT be bringing home strange germs because we're at the dr office 3 times a month.
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

In a child his age his ears are growing and changing shape quite often. It's not uncommon for a child to need new tubes after a year...I work for an audiologist and we have kids who need new earmolds for their hearing aids after only 3-4 months because their ears change shape so quickly. Not enough to be noticable...but enough to cause the earmold to be too tight or fall out.

It's also not uncommon for the change in ear canal shape (that causes the tube to fall out) to also be a change that helps ear drainage resulting in less ear infections...though that isn't always the case. However, a tube can also be PUSHED out by an infection BEHIND the tube.

I hope your dr is helpful! Can you explain the situation to him with your dh and see if he will ok another set of tubes? The other tube probably should be checked to see if it is loose as well.

(((hugs))) ear infections are miserable for baby and mommy

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You know...this makes a TON of sense. I am so glad you posted. I just could not figure it out for the life of me what was going on, and I HATE putting him under again and again (esp since he has already had 5 surgeries for the cleft, with more in a few years)..And oddly, our ENT/Doc/teams have never mentioned it. And they are FABULOUS. (Boston Children's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly dolly View Post
In a child his age his ears are growing and changing shape quite often. It's not uncommon for a child to need new tubes after a year...I work for an audiologist and we have kids who need new earmolds for their hearing aids after only 3-4 months because their ears change shape so quickly. Not enough to be noticable...but enough to cause the earmold to be too tight or fall out.

It's also not uncommon for the change in ear canal shape (that causes the tube to fall out) to also be a change that helps ear drainage resulting in less ear infections...though that isn't always the case. However, a tube can also be PUSHED out by an infection BEHIND the tube.

I hope your dr is helpful! Can you explain the situation to him with your dh and see if he will ok another set of tubes? The other tube probably should be checked to see if it is loose as well.

(((hugs))) ear infections are miserable for baby and mommy
MommyLyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would go straight to the tubes as well. My daughter got them at 8 months. Hers never fell out. After 3 years they have to be replaced. We did that. Poor little guy.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyLyssa
You know...this makes a TON of sense. I am so glad you posted. I just could not figure it out for the life of me what was going on, and I HATE putting him under again and again (esp since he has already had 5 surgeries for the cleft, with more in a few years)..And oddly, our ENT/Doc/teams have never mentioned it. And they are FABULOUS. (Boston Children's)
You are welcome!!!

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:20 AM   #8
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Our DS got an EI the day one of his tubes fell out, as well. He has had 2, total, in the 3-4 months his tubes have been out. We were told that unless he had 3 in 6 months, we would not be referred for more tubes. That said, we still have an appt with the ENT to talk about it, anyway.

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #9
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

My son got tubes in January. The dr. said they would fall out anywhere from 6 to 24 months later. I sure hope that when they do fall out that he won't need another set. Those things weren't cheap, and I hated him having to be put under. But once he got over the infection he had when they tubes were put in, he hasn't had another one since. But it sure is a pain trying to keep water out of his ears! I just want him to be able to go swimming without having to worry.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #10
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJules
My son got tubes in January. The dr. said they would fall out anywhere from 6 to 24 months later. I sure hope that when they do fall out that he won't need another set. Those things weren't cheap, and I hated him having to be put under. But once he got over the infection he had when they tubes were put in, he hasn't had another one since. But it sure is a pain trying to keep water out of his ears! I just want him to be able to go swimming without having to worry.
We do custom swim plugs at our office for $30 a set. You could check into that!! Kind of pricey...but better than more infections!!