Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-24-2012, 06:00 AM   #1
Wannabemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help!! Breast won't empty

Help!! All of the sudden my right breast won't empty. It seems like it takes double to time of my left breast and half the time I just give up. I feel like I have tried everything. Do anyone have any tips or tricks? I don't want my supply to go down.

Thanks!!!

Advertisement

Wannabemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Help!! Breast won't empty

Are you engorged? Do you think you have a plugged duct? Inspect your nipple very closely to see if one of the openings could be gunked up or covered by skin. It happens.
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2jandb View Post
Are you engorged? Do you think you have a plugged duct? Inspect your nipple very closely to see if one of the openings could be gunked up or covered by skin. It happens.
That's what I was thinking. Sometimes if I'm taking a long time to empty, I try to put my baby on the boob. He doesn't even try to nurse, but it's enough to get it flowing like crazy!
Old 07-01-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Or if baby won't keep sucking, try to pump just that breast. I've had success pumping out plugged ducts in the past, although my DD was pretty good at eating till the duct was clear. Good luck mama!!

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
Hegemony Cricket
Registered Users
seller

I had plugged ducts all the time when I was nursing/pumping. DS wasn't great at clearing my clogs, so I usually used a diaper filled with hot water on my breast where the clog was, and then I'd just keep pumping and massaging that breast until it cleared out. Sometimes, i noticed a white blister on my nipple, so I'd pierce it with a sterilized needle, and the milk would come gushing out. I took a lot of lecithin supplements, and that helped decrease the frequency of my plugged ducts. Hope you find something that works for you!

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
Hegemony Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:17 AM   #6
Wannabemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegemony Cricket View Post
I had plugged ducts all the time when I was nursing/pumping. DS wasn't great at clearing my clogs, so I usually used a diaper filled with hot water on my breast where the clog was, and then I'd just keep pumping and massaging that breast until it cleared out. Sometimes, i noticed a white blister on my nipple, so I'd pierce it with a sterilized needle, and the milk would come gushing out. I took a lot of lecithin supplements, and that helped decrease the frequency of my plugged ducts. Hope you find something that works for you!

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
I had the blisters on my nipples too!! They finally went away and my breasts started to drain. I kept putting nipple cream on to keep the nipple moist. I found that helped the most. I don't know thought it went away for a few days and today again I am having troubles. ERR!!

Thanks for all the tips.
Wannabemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #7
ssousa
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've had the same problem, DD eats on one side then falls asleep but I alternate like you're supposed to but still my right is bigger than left.. i've pumped on the right to relieve pressure but idk how to tell if/when its empty??
sorry i don't have advice cuz i'm in the same boat good luck! and i will be following this to see if i can find any good info as well if ya don't mind
ssousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #8
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Is it a letdown thing or a duct issue?

If its a letdown thing...very small glass of wine or hot shower and washcloths on the boobs.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #9
mamma_z
Registered Users

Could it be a problem with the pump (the valve/membrane)? Or maybe you need a larger size breastshield for that side? If you have a double and always use the same side for the right breast, perhaps try switching to see if there is Amy difference. Good luck!
mamma_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:02 AM   #10
dnh
Registered Users

i have used hot compresses and massaging successfully. i would even break out the electric back massager.. it worked wonders!
dnh is offline   Reply With Quote