Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #11
wordmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My DS used to be the very same way: Emotions swinging wildly, unable to sit still, loud, completely unreasonable, etc. I took him to our Naturopath and through a simple blood test she was able to diagnose a handful of food intolerances that were exacerbating his ADHD. We eliminated simple sugars, red dye and dairy and he became a different child.

It's worth looking at his diet and getting him tested for food intolerances (many young children react behaviorally). Might be the answer to your troubles!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #12
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Church with an out of control 3 yr old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyLyssa View Post
I would suggest some "home training" (NOT saying you don't discipline!). Start with just 3 minutes a day (if it is that little, maybe a few times a day would be beneficial. (or even less if he can't do that) of quiet time. Where he must sit quietly with a coloring book, crayons, beading, etc. Slowly work it up daily/weekly (you know your kid!) until he is sitting quietly for as long as you need/want him to. I know it has worked for our children. Mine are now able to sit through a 1.5 hour sermon, lecture, etc. We have sticker bags, water bottles that don't spill, a snack maybe, magnadoodles, each of them have a clip board and sheets of paper with a baggie of crayons/stickers, stencils, beading bags (only thing with this is you have to be watching to make sure it all doesn't go flying.

Kids do great if you give them a chance. We actually have quiet time daily where they each go to their rooms for about an hour (more or less depending on the plans of the day) where they "read" books, color, etc.

Mine are almost 7, 4, and almost 3. (Just wanted to add, my kids are NOT perfect, and there are weeks that we do end up taking them out). And we have been doing this for well over a year (started at around 18 months)

But the training is great for all sorts of things. We are able to attend lectures, graduations, weddings, church, etc without the fear of ruining it for others. And you will be amazed at what they pick up! I LOVE the questions I get throughout the week from all three of the kids

Hope that helps, and I don't come of as some snotty mama with perfect children :P

I also wanted to mention that I have three REALLY busy kids. They cannot sit still (one great thing for us about homeschooling. I know they would be labeled ADHD if they were sent. They are just ACTVE kids.) Sometimes, they end moving their seats around (from the chair to the floor in front of us, on our laps, etc. But they are required to be quiet until it is over.
This is wonderful advice--and it works! Start with small increments at home where the standards would be the same as church. You won't feel as stressed out about it, because no one is watching you, and he gets to practice some calm/quiet time. It really does work wonders!
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #13
Lexy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hugs momma! We don't have the sane situation but I'd like to throw out there this to help with #3. (my kids are now 5,4, 1 mo. Shy of 3, and 14mo.) Starting the routine of church from the start without any things to distract them from birth has really helped me. We attended a penecostal church when mine were 2 and 1 and newborn and they had to sit still for 2+hrs. Without anything to help distract them. If/when they got noisy I just took them out had a brief talk and took them right back in...and enforced what I talked with them about. Anyways my #3 has SPD and is very much on the go with so much energy but now I can go change babe and leave room and the 5,4,3 will sit and not talk or play and be fine. Anyways just a thought for the new babe! No advice for your 3rd. Old, sorry though!
Old 06-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #14
penelope picklebottom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexy View Post
Hugs momma! We don't have the sane situation but I'd like to throw out there this to help with #3. (my kids are now 5,4, 1 mo. Shy of 3, and 14mo.) Starting the routine of church from the start without any things to distract them from birth has really helped me. We attended a penecostal church when mine were 2 and 1 and newborn and they had to sit still for 2+hrs. Without anything to help distract them. If/when they got noisy I just took them out had a brief talk and took them right back in...and enforced what I talked with them about. Anyways my #3 has SPD and is very much on the go with so much energy but now I can go change babe and leave room and the 5,4,3 will sit and not talk or play and be fine. Anyways just a thought for the new babe! No advice for your 3rd. Old, sorry though!
I hear you. Had I taken him from day 1 we probably would not be having this issue. I kind of wandered off the path for a while and now am struggling.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #15
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
I wouldn't take him if he is going to "win" by being out of control. I'd either try a different church with a nursery or get a sitter for him, or take a break from church.
This. I had THE most well behaved child on earth. COntent to sit for hours playing with a magnadoodle. And, even I wouldn't have taken her to a church service without a sunday school.

The one we chose, was mid sized, with a sunday school class for each age group. I stayed in the two yr old class with her for a few months, as a lead teacher, then moved on to being in service three weeks, and helping in the classroom one week. That way, it was a win/win for everyone. (service in the church was strongly suggested to use the nursery or twos class)

The church had a lighted number scroll thingy that if you were needed in class, your number rolled by behind the pastor. So, if he was throwing a mega fit, you would be called out.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #16
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would honestly change churches and go to one that has a children's church and/or nursery.

DS2 is 4 1/2 and he wouldn't be able to sit still through a whole church service. At our church the kids are in the regular service for the announcements, songs and offering. Then the children's church teacher leads them off to children's church. Just in that 15 or 20 minute time frame, it's difficult to get my 4yr old to sit still and not be a distraction.

So for me, a church with a children's ministry is a MUST.

Not only that, is they learn more in the children's church than they do listening to what they feel is just a boring person talking. And they have more fun.

So, honestly... I'd try a church that has a children's ministry.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #17
mamashhon
Registered Users
Formerly: m2bs11n5
seller

Wanted to offer hugs. We stopped going because of this reason. They offer a nursery but DS has autism and can't be left there (my choice, and I don't want to stress him out, he can't handle strangers and nursery shift changes from week to week). My DS distracts other people and its downright embarrassing sometimes. He will smack and kick me and scream that he wants to leave, so we don't go at all anymore
Old 06-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #18
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I think it's important to remember, too, that faith isn't defined by church attendance (I know you didn't say this. Its just something I thought of as I was reading posts). Your children wont know faith because you went to church. Your children will know faith because they will see you live it. If you can't attend church for a while, that's ok. Discussions at home about Jesus can be just as important as faith in a community.

I'm subbing for good ways to train for church... Love love the pipe cleaner bead idea and the pompon idea.
I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...

Last edited by Hope4More; 06-24-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Hope4More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #19
TooBusyBearcubs
Registered Users
Formerly: K**ten
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4More View Post
I think it's important to remember, too, that faith isn't defined by church attendance (I know you didn't say this. Its just something I thought of as I was reading posts). Your children wont know faith because you went to church. Your children will know faith because they will see you live it. If you can't attend church for a while, that's ok. Discussions at home about Jesus can be just as important as faith in a community.

I'm subbing for good ways to train for church... Love love the pipe cleaner bead idea and the pompon idea.
This. I believe that church is important, and kids learn a lot while there, but you can help them learn about faith and God and Christ just by your actions at home. We have a couple of toddler Bibles and some story books about the parables and some of the Old Testament accounts, and the kids love them.
That said, we were without a church family for several years while the bearcubs were babies, and I really, REALLY regret that we weren't plugged in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle_M View Post
I would honestly change churches and go to one that has a children's church and/or nursery.

DS2 is 4 1/2 and he wouldn't be able to sit still through a whole church service. At our church the kids are in the regular service for the announcements, songs and offering. Then the children's church teacher leads them off to children's church. Just in that 15 or 20 minute time frame, it's difficult to get my 4yr old to sit still and not be a distraction.

So for me, a church with a children's ministry is a MUST.

Not only that, is they learn more in the children's church than they do listening to what they feel is just a boring person talking. And they have more fun.

So, honestly... I'd try a church that has a children's ministry.

God bless!
This, too. There are churches out there with FANTASTIC children's ministries! We looked for a long time until we found one that really impressed us, but honestly, most preschool workers will just genuinely love to spend time with your kids. Give them a heads up that you've had some behavior "schtuff" going on, but they likely won't be phased by that. Most of them have kids of their own and are totally cool with it.
TooBusyBearcubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #20
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Another idea is having a babysitter watch him on Sunday mornings while you work on the "home training"....is there anyone that can help out for a few weeks so you dont have to miss church or be distracted?
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote