View Poll Results: Do you let your girls play with Barbie dolls?
Yes - no restrictions 61 51.26%
Yes - with restrictions on clothing/type, etc. 29 24.37%
No - not at all 19 15.97%
Other 10 8.40%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #41
TofuScramble
Registered Users
Formerly: DesertMomma

My Mood:
Re: Do you let your girls play with Barbie dolls?

I would let them (ages 12, 10, 9).. but they dislike humans and have NEVER had an interest in dolls. They will only play with animals. lol I'm totally serious.
Maybe my youngest DD will get into dolls, she's 1 now.

Advertisement

TofuScramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #42
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Nope.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #43
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

My dd just turned 8 and has never really been interested in them. She got either an actual Barbie or a Barbie knock off one time as a gift (I don't remember where from) but I don't know if she ever actually played with it. I asked her this year if she wanted something like that for her b-day and she told me she already has one LOL. She does still love her Waldorf doll collection but since she has 4 younger brothers, she doesn't play with that much anymore. She's a girly girl, but Barbies are just not her thing.

If she wanted them, I am sure we would let her but they would not be the ones wearing skimpy clothes. I played with Barbies when I was a little girl too.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #44
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yes but I voted with restrictions. I dont allow Bratz. Period. we mostly have fairies, dinsey princess, and reg ol barbies.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #45
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes. I don't like bratz or the monster high dolls though. My 2 1/2 year old has a few of the Disney princess barbies and likes them. I LOVED Barbie as a kid so hoping my daughters do too.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #46
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TofuScramble View Post
I would let them (ages 12, 10, 9).. but they dislike humans and have NEVER had an interest in dolls. They will only play with animals. lol I'm totally serious.
Maybe my youngest DD will get into dolls, she's 1 now.
I just realized - my dd is like that too. She would much rather a stuffed animal toy than a doll.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #47
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Nope, we don't. But I think this probably belongs over in parenting....
Ha ha ha....was this in parenting originally? I could have swore I was in OT, but then when I clicked out...I wasn't. Sorry, I'm tired. Don't mind me!
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #48
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

A funny personal story about Barbie and the body image debate. One of my best friends wasn't allowed to ever play or own barbies because her mom was a big crunchy feminist when we were kids. She always wanted them and wished she could have one. She grew up out of all of us to look the most like Barbie including a double D chest and fluctuates between a size 2 and 4. She has long bleach blond hair and is constantly on a diet and obsessed with fashion. Not one of the Barbie playing kids in my circle is like that. So just because you ban barbies doesn't mean your daughter won't end up with body issues or into fashion/materialism.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #49
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes, they can play with them with no restrictions. They are actually a great teaching tool. They already know what is appropriate and what isn't appropriate. We don't have strict rules about clothing, we try to be smart about things. Not a lot of emphasis of what you can't do, but about making good decisions.

Barbie is not going to be giving my girls a bad self image, it is our society that will try. And, I don't just mean about having large breasts and a small waist.....society is also on the other end of pushing "it is ok to be overweight....it is better than being skinny." Which of course, it isn't.

Last edited by ajane; 06-25-2012 at 11:38 AM.
ajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #50
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes, no restrictions. Most of our Barbie stuff comes 2nd hand from a co-worker of DH's and garage sales so I'm not too picky. She's not enamored with them or anything but she'll play with them once in a while.
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote