Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-25-2012, 08:00 AM   #1
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Phonics and spelling with Heart of Dakota 1st grade. Plus more HOD ??'s.

I need to decide on what we will use in this area. Do I need a separate spelling curriculum?? I have been debating between ETC and Phonics Pathways, any input from anyone??

I am just trying to plan out everything. It's for a boy and I don't want to overdo him, but here is what I have planned:

HOD Beyond
Math-u-See
A Reason for Handwriting
Just doing some basic science, does HOD have anything in there for science??

Does this look okay for 1st grade??

So I am just left with phonics/spelling.

Thanks!!

Advertisement

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
momof2littles
Registered Users
seller

Re: Phonics and spelling with Heart of Dakota 1st grade. Plus more HOD ??'s.

Spelling is included in beyond. It's in the appendix and has two choices of spelling lists. Also, of he's past phonics you can get the emerging readers to go along. If he's not reading yet, I like the reading lesson for phonics.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
Kristi26
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We just started using EtC here and love it! We tried Phonics Pathways, and while it was fine to ME, it wasn't good for DD who is the one that needs it. She didn't really like it very much.

As for the science in HOD Beyond, don't they have a Science book you can buy? I'd look for it on here, on amazon, and on homeschoolclassifieds.com to see if I could find it used if it were me...

HTH!
-Kristi,wife(5/02), , HSing, CDing,SAHM to Andrew(1/00), Lukas(2/03),Lily (1/06),and Ian (5/09) !Sweet Gwen, stillborn, 12/26/11, angel baby 7/08 Free History plans and more here: http://themommywriter.blogspot.com/
Kristi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
lehcar_27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

spelling is included in HOD Beyond....dont need anything seperate
Old 06-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
Christylkeller
Registered Users

My Mood:

There is a separate science, and it is put out through Christian Liberty Press. I also use the phonics from Christian Liberty Press.

Homeschooling mom to A- '01, M- '05, E- '08 and G born 3/5/13 VBA3C

Always missing my 17 weeker E 7/25/11
Christylkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:47 AM   #6
Mama2ManyBoyz
Registered Users
seller

HOD is an all inclusive curriculum. No need to supplement. With that said, they do give you options in a few areas, such as Math and Phonics. Whatever options you choose are scheduled within the curriculum. I would recommend sticking to what they use at least until you are familiar with HOD. I would request a catalog. It makes it much easier to understand how the program works. Also if you search HOD yahoo groups, there is an HOD group for asking curriculum questions of other Mom's and also a bsot group for used books.

eta: We are currently using Beyond and LOVE it. Most recently, we have constructed the ocean floor out of playdoh and built tinfoil boats to demonstrate the importance of measuring depth when sailing into a Bay (Pilgrims). We have also done a Mayflower art project with a hole for packing cargo, made a shield of faith, numerous science experiments that my son has loved...I could go on and on. Good stuff. Beyond has made us realize we are HOD'ers for the long haul!

Last edited by Mama2ManyBoyz; 06-30-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Mama2ManyBoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
Bella Catalina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We're going to be using HOD LHFHG w/ 1st grade options, after debating back and forth between Little Hearts and Beyond. We decided on LHFHG because a lot of moms have said Bigger is a lot of writing for many 2nd graders. We're going to use All About Spelling Level 1, and ETC for Phonics because I think we'll like that better than their choices, along with HWT for handwriting.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #8
HollyS
Registered Users
seller
seller

We used Explode the Code in place of their spelling and to continue with phonics. We also used the Emerging Reader books from HOD...the schedule is in the back of the teacher's guide.
HollyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:42 AM   #9
hssusie
Registered Users
seller

We used Little Hands when my dd was much younger and really enjoyed it. But we went thru it at lightening speed and when done she was not ready for Little Hearts. So we went to FIAR. Last year we decided to go back to HOD and got Beyond. My dd was a 6 yo 1st grader. While I know that there will be 6 yos that can handle Beyond my dd could not. She LOVED what we did do....loved it! But each day was a struggle to get thru the writing. I am not one that adapts well to *half-speed* that some moms do, so we went back to FIAR (which is also awesome). Well, life has changed for me and my time for schooling is not as great as it used to be so I need something that is well planed out and doesn't have to be beefed up for a 7 yo 2nd grader. My little girl started jumping up and down and her eyes twinkled as she said, "Beyond!!!!!!" So now that she is better at handling writing we are going back to HOD. I know looking at the week long sample of Bigger there is NO way she could handle the amt of writing with that one now at 7 yo. I say all of that to say this.....my dd placed PERFECTLY with the Beyond placement chart at 6 yo, yet could not handle the amt of work. Your child might do well, or it may be that he would be better off in Little Hearts. It is a great program as well.

You are as much serving God in looking after your own children, training them up in God's fear, minding the house, and making your household a church for God as you would be if you had been called to lead an army to battle for the Lord of hosts. ~Charles Spurgeon
hssusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:36 AM   #10
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Christian Liberty Press offers a great (and affordable) phonics (and math and science and history.. We are susing the entire Christian Liberty curriculum).. christianbook.com or heartsathomestore.com have it

ETA: Christian Liberty has spelling too (Building Spelling Skills 1 if first grade)

Last edited by LunaBirch; 07-03-2012 at 04:37 AM.
LunaBirch is offline   Reply With Quote