Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Any easy-to-eat-packed-lunch ideas that are GF/Sugar/Dairy Free?

Got two boys to feed lunch to at school. Looking for easy to eat foods that travel well to school. Need to be GF & Dairy free & prefer sugar free, but I can alter a recipe if there's just a small amount of sugar.

TIA for any ideas!

Advertisement

Last edited by CMamma; 08-15-2012 at 05:43 PM.
CMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Any easy-to-eat-packed-lunch ideas that are GF/Sugar Free?

Anyone else out there with this kind of diet?
Old 08-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
vjbakke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Any easy-to-eat-packed-lunch ideas that are GF/Sugar/Dairy Free?

We are grain, starch, and sugar free. It's a new change for us. Do you use a lot of almond flour. I plan on packing the kids left over chicken, some type of nut our seed. We use dairy so sour cream to dip the chicken. I also like making fries out of eggplant and dip in sugar free pizza sauce. I make a " bun" that is made from almond flour, eggs, psyllium husk powder, etc and do a PB&J some days. I make homemade cheese its with almond flour, salt, cheese and egg white. We eat close to you but we eat dairy. Here are two blogs that I like a lot they do use dairy but not all recipes. Almond milk in a lot.

http://mariahealth.blogspot.com/

http://www.satisfyingeats.blogspot.com/
vjbakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

I can check with DH's cousin if you want, her DS has celiac's and diabetes.
hbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjbakke View Post
We are grain, starch, and sugar free. It's a new change for us. Do you use a lot of almond flour. I plan on packing the kids left over chicken, some type of nut our seed. We use dairy so sour cream to dip the chicken. I also like making fries out of eggplant and dip in sugar free pizza sauce. I make a " bun" that is made from almond flour, eggs, psyllium husk powder, etc and do a PB&J some days. I make homemade cheese its with almond flour, salt, cheese and egg white. We eat close to you but we eat dairy. Here are two blogs that I like a lot they do use dairy but not all recipes. Almond milk in a lot.

http://mariahealth.blogspot.com/

http://www.satisfyingeats.blogspot.com/

THANKS! I'll check out those links for sure

We JUST made a choice to cut out dairy (at least for a while - an illimination thing to see how we feel). Our diet is for health reasons & it's been a challenge with all of these restrictions & nearly all at the same time too!

I have started using almond flour recently & really enjoy it - that & buckwheat, a favorite. I just read an idea somewhere to use millet to make a "bread" sort of. You cook the millet, put it in a greased bread pan & refrigerate overnight. In the am you can use it as "bread" to fry, make a sort of french toast or even a sammy. I'm gonna give that a try!

I've been doing sort of mock lunchbox runs when we go out for errands. That way I can see what works/what they like. I did rice cake & almond butter sort of sammies & they did well. Also, fruit roll ups in the dehydrator (just used berries, nothing else added).
Old 08-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbee View Post
I can check with DH's cousin if you want, her DS has celiac's and diabetes.
Please don't go out of your way, but if you happen to find anything out, I would love to hear it! Thanks for the consideration by the way!
Old 08-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #7
vjbakke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hope it helps. We drink raw milk and use a lot of cream, cheese. We drink a lot of almond milk as well because it has a lot less sugar than cow milk. We don't eat any grains, so no millet, or buckwheat, rice or beans. the only legume we eat is peanuts. No starches either like corn and root veggies. We eat limited fruit, kids get more than DH and I. I have already lost weight. We are doing it for health reasons as well. My carb cravings are disappearing . Also a sweetener we have started using is called Swerve. It's a gmo free erythritol. Doesn't have the stomach upset of some sugar alcohols.
Nuts have become a great snack here, kids love them.
vjbakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
blathnat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I eat gluten free and mostly vegan. We eat a lot of hummus and carrot/ celery/ cucumber.

If you have a bread machine Bob's Red Mill Homemade Wonderful Gluten Free Bread is excellent. I bet you cold do it without the machine, but being able to throw in all the ingredients press start and have gf brad 3 hours later is so nice. It tastes much better than most of the commercially available pre-made gf bread.

Rice cakes and peanut butter, apple slices with peanut butter. I shop at a local food co-op where you can grind the peanut butter right there so you know there is nothing in it but peanuts Almond or cashew butter is also delicious.

All sorts of bean dips with veggie sticks and rice crackers.

Avocado and tomato slices either on a rice cake or gf bread.

Soups. Cashews pureed with some veggie stock is a great substitute for cream/ milk in creamy soups.

Corn tortillas wrapped with beans/ tomato/ avocado. I'll also make all sorts of wraps with corn tortillas- hummus and sprouts is one of my favorites.

Its not very healthy so its a treat but I love the Dayia dairy free cheeses. I'll use gf bread, an apple chutney, and some Dayia cheddar to make a gf/df grilled cheese my LO loves!

Good luck mama, it can be a tough diet but there are lots of great options.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:52 AM   #9
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Thanks ladies! All such great ideas!!

Never heard of swerve before - maybe something to check into sometime. I have looked into veggie glycerin & stevia, but just am not convinced about them yet. We hope to use honey in the future, but right now it's just too sugary for what we are trying to accomplish right now (though we use it topically for face wash, etc).

Do you eat seeds? If so, buckwheat is ok. It's not a greain, but a fruit seed. The same is true for millet. They are just often confused as grains b/c they are grainlike as well as having many of the same applications.