Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
JadeScarlet
Registered Users

Pump recommendations

This is for someone I know. She has older children and managed to breastfeed until going back to work, then couldn't pump and stopped.

She is pregnant again, has economic hardship, and wants to breastfeed but thinks the same thing will happen again. I'm going to try to gather some information for her as well as some numbers to resources local to her like La Leche League, etc.

But I'm digressing - I came here to ask for pump recommendations. I'm not sure what brand she had before but she said after 45 minutes of pumping she'd get 1 ounce. She also said the pump never felt natural.

I know not all pumps are made equal. Is it possible that she had a sub-par brand of pump (she couldn't remember which one when I asked)? I don't think she can afford a new one, but maybe it would help her in the long run if she had a better one and could keep pumping rather than buying formula.

Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
JulileE
Registered Users
seller

Re: Pump recommendations

Can she get a hospital grade rental pump through WIC? I'm not sure how you go about that, but worth checking into. I was like her with my half attempts at pumping with my prior children. But due to health issues my 7 wk old cannot nurse. Let me tell you, mind set has a lot to do with it. Pumping 7-8x/day, taking supplements - Motherlove is a good brand, eating oatmeal. With all the bottles and whatnot I've had to buy I don't want to think about the cost of formula in addition to that.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
JadeScarlet
Registered Users

Re: Pump recommendations

I asked her about hospital pumps and she said she tried with one but it was really heavy and hard to carry around. She will be getting help through WIC, but I'm unfamiliar with the details of how it works.

I've heard good things about the medela pump in style advanced but I've never used one. I noticed how expensive it was, but I think I know someone who will buy one for her if she wants it, and I can probably convince them to buy her some bottles also. I've only ever used the medela manual pump but it worked great for me (I'm blessed with oversupply issues).

I am going to put together a list of resources for her with some strategies for increasing milk production and success with pumping, but I've never had to face this personally so I'm going to have to rely on others for help.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
leila03ash
Registered Users

I have a used PISA and I really like it. Even used it still works great. Very light and portable.
leila03ash is offline   Reply With Quote