Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #11
sunshine_mama
Registered Users
seller

I did skin to skin in the OR with DD. My arms were not tied down, DH helped with moving the gown out of the way and putting her on my chest.

Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012, 09:13 PM   #12
sunyflwr
Registered Users
seller

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5RIc...ta_player.this is how you do skin to skin in the OR
sunyflwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #13
TexasRachel
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdavidsmama
Hadn't thought of that - I just know I had a really bad reaction to the IV drugs last time and itched myself BLOODY head to toe. I could NOT stop. I'm thinking the sooner I can get off that the better.
itching is a known side affect of morphine. Talk to your doc now about what else you can have.

Ftr, my dd turned every week my last month. Every check up it was a different position. She was only 7'6, but don't give up hope. Sometimes they like doing acrobatics.

Mom to DD(17), DS(8), DS(5), DS(3), and one waiting in heaven.
TexasRachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #14
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

As a nurse I can say that at our facility most narcotics are PRN, meaning you have to ask for them. Even if is an every 4 hour PRN unless you ask you will not get it. We also can't wake a sleeping patient even if they ask for you to. I guess the theory is if you are sleeping you are not hurting. Not that I agree but we have to wait until asked. I would set the alarm on your phone and stay on schedule with the pain meds.
7 for now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:15 PM   #15
fullofheart
Registered Users
seller

Re: Facing my second breech c-section :( Help me with my birth plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now View Post
As a nurse I can say that at our facility most narcotics are PRN, meaning you have to ask for them. Even if is an every 4 hour PRN unless you ask you will not get it. We also can't wake a sleeping patient even if they ask for you to. I guess the theory is if you are sleeping you are not hurting. Not that I agree but we have to wait until asked. I would set the alarm on your phone and stay on schedule with the pain meds.
I think the alarm is your best bet for getting it to almost be scheduled. Or have your mom set an alarm and wake you?
fullofheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:04 AM   #16
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

It sounds good. I think you might get a big hassle about the IV though... what worked for me is that I requested a HepLock to stay in place because they refused to take out the IV the first 24 hours as a precaution (like if I couldn't keep fluids down, trauma happened and they need to go back in surgery, etc). A heplock was a compromise we all could agree on and felt much better. I also itched from the pain meds... you can see if you can get different ones. I couldn't stop itching my nose and eyes!!!
And I hate requesting the pain meds vs. them going by the clock, but at our hospital you have to. I did ask that they remind me that "it's been 3 hours since your last narcotic." and so it reminded me to ask for it then!!!!
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #17
sunyflwr
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingcropsandbabies
I also itched from the pain meds... you can see if you can get different ones. I couldn't stop itching my nose and eyes!!!
I itched after my c/s and I was told it was from the anesthesia (I had a spinal since it was an emergency c/s from breech presentation). Certain pain meds actually stop the itch, such as Nubian?
sunyflwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #18
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Why are you including no x-ray or MRI in your plan. If a baby is getting one of those it is generally emergent.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:11 AM   #19
HugeBabyBoy
Registered Users
seller

I've had 2 breech babies too. The morphine always makes me itchy (crazy itchy) so I have my doctor order something for the first 2 days (as needed). Worked like a charm for C section #2.

Edit - some posted Nubain, that's what I had too!

Last edited by HugeBabyBoy; 07-10-2012 at 01:12 AM.
HugeBabyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #20
Riverdavidsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeshkasheeba View Post
Why are you including no x-ray or MRI in your plan. If a baby is getting one of those it is generally emergent.
The X-ray/MRI is because she was breech. It's really not necessary. If there's something wrong with their hips, you'll know it later and they won't do anything about it until later either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeBabyBoy View Post
I've had 2 breech babies too. The morphine always makes me itchy (crazy itchy) so I have my doctor order something for the first 2 days (as needed). Worked like a charm for C section #2.

Edit - some posted Nubain, that's what I had too!
Sorry mama! Thanks - I'll ask for that!