Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-26-2012, 07:46 AM   #1
EuphoricDysphoria
Registered Users
Formerly: laubear
seller
seller

My Mood:
Knitters - short row help please!!

I've tried googling this and google isn't being my friend. I'm knitting the sheepy pants longies and no matter what way I do short rows ( the method in the pattern or wrapping) I get either a hole or a noticeable bump.

Can someone please help?! It's so frustrating spending so much time and having it look horrible. I've knitted 3 pairs and all are the same, no improvement.

Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #2
fallaway
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Oh boy, do I hear you. I've tried different short row methods on each pair of longies I've knit, I think! Wrap & turn doesn't turn out well for me, though I've since learned that to get the best result with them, pull on the stitches around it once you're done. That redistributes tension & they look great (at least when other people do them!).

There's also YO short rows, Woolly Wonders, German, Japanese (love the last two), & what I currently do. No wrapping, no pins (which you need for Japanese short rows), looks great, easy to remember, easy to see where to close the gaps. Shadow wraps!

http://www.socktopus.co.uk/2011/02/s...-shadow-wraps/

Last edited by fallaway; 06-26-2012 at 09:06 PM.
fallaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:04 AM   #3
StarryEyedSurprise
Registered Users
Formerly: btrfli81
seller
seller

My Mood:
I YouTube'd yo short rows and did that with good results!
StarryEyedSurprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm loving German short rows now. At first I was doing the wrap and turn and was getting the hang of it. But the gsr is my ho to now

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
EuphoricDysphoria
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
So as far as German short rows go, would I ignore how sheepy pants tells me to do it?

What I mean is say sheepy pants says, k 15 turn and wrap, purl to marker, purl 15 more, turn and wrap knit back to first turn etc...

Do I ignore only doing 2 turns? Do I do 2 turns but use the slip stitch and how to pick up the stitch the YouTube video shows?
Old 06-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #6
EuphoricDysphoria
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Nevermind, shadow wraps = amazing!! <3
Old 06-26-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
fallaway
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Knitters - short row help please!!

Oh good, glad you found a method you like! It's so individual it seems, what looks better or makes sense etc., from knitter to knitter. I know a lot of people do one side with one method and the other side using a different method, even.

ETA: I want to swatch different methods to compare directly, when I have spare time (ha!). Like this - German looks best for this knitter:

http://www.tricksyknitter.com/pages/...itting-364.php

Last edited by fallaway; 06-26-2012 at 09:19 PM.
fallaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #8
Cdra
Registered Users
seller
seller

This is good info. My short rows always look horrible
Old 06-27-2012, 12:01 AM   #9
babygirls2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Knitters - short row help please!!

Thanks! Why didn't I see this before I done my short rows though??? HA...I just done the last one! I done the wrap method and it looks ok. I just redistribute the tension and it looks ok. I do want to try a different way with the next pair though.

Dunno if you just started knitting or not, but I gave up Sheepy Pants as a beginner. LOL.... I started the Evie Pants pattern and man oh man...BIG difference! It's so much clearer!
babygirls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:23 AM   #10
Cdra
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirls2
Thanks! Why didn't I see this before I done my short rows though??? HA...I just done the last one! I done the wrap method and it looks ok. I just redistribute the tension and it looks ok. I do want to try a different way with the next pair though.

Dunno if you just started knitting or not, but I gave up Sheepy Pants as a beginner. LOL.... I started the Evie Pants pattern and man oh man...BIG difference! It's so much clearer!
I also found the evie pants pattern much easier as a new knitter. I love all the options!

I just tried the shadow short row in a swatch and it rocked its easy enough for me to remember how to do and its pretty much invisible. I'm so excited i finally got it right.