Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-04-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
graceworks
Registered Users
Formerly: annaelise
seller
seller

My Mood:
do you guys avoid deli meat?

I remember with my last pregnancy my OBGYN said I could only have deli meat from places with busy delis because the meat was fresher and after three days I had to microwave it til steaming to kill any listeria or whatever it was.

did anyone else's doctor say that? I have been craving deli meat and have been eating it happily since its so early but maybe I should be avoiding? Anyone have any thoughts? I am seriously craving sandwiches piled high with turkey, ham, and salami...yum...but if it really is risky...

Are you guys already avoiding all the stuff we're supposed to avoid while pregnant? like soft cheese and runny egg yolks and caffeine, etc? (obviously alcohol and cigarettes are a no-no from day one but I don't drink or smoke anyway)

Also not on this topic but do you guys take DHA? How much is in your pill? mine has 450 mg and I'm worried that might be too much?

Advertisement

loving being a stay at home wife to DH (married 4/11/09) and mommy to DD1 (10/4/10) and little DD2 (5/30/12) and expecting baby #3 in March!
graceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
flobee76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: do you guys avoid deli meat?

I only avoid deli meats that have nitrites, nitrates, etc. There are a few brands that you can buy that do not contain those. Just read the labels. Watch out for "celery juice" or "celery powder", which companies use as a naturally occurring nitrite/nitrate.

If you are craving meats, I guess the celery juice meats are better???

I personally am not avoiding runny eggs since we raise our own chickens for their eggs. I am not concerned about any food illness with regards to the eggs.

I am slowly weaning myself off of caffeine. Ugh. I hope to be caffeine free in the next 2 weeks.

for DHA, I am taking Fermented Cod Liver oil, 1-2 tsp. per day, along with 1/2 tsp. of High Vitamin Butter oil. If you are taking a synthetic form of DHA or highly processed form, I would just go by the suggested dosage, or ask your Dr.
Mom to DD (5/04), DS (8/07), DD (2/09)DD (5/13), Blessing #4 in the arms of Jesus 11/2011

Jesus-follower, Traditional Foodie, Homeschooler, frugal-er

Last edited by flobee76; 10-04-2011 at 03:35 PM.
flobee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:30 PM   #3
larken
Registered Users
seller

We're vegan, so no meat, eggs or cheese of any sort but I don't cut out caffeine completely. I don't down energy drinks or anything, but I will drink coffee and tea. I'll have an occasional soda too, but I don't really love soda.
larken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:37 PM   #4
mpink22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't drink caffeine before, so thankful I don't have to stop.
Too sick to think about deli meats, but I am on a fried rice and chip diet right now. Those are the only things that I can smell and eat without dry heaving. But, during my last pregnancy, my OB didn't mention it, and I ate regular deli meat sandwiches all the time.
I am just taking folic acid right now, the regular vitamins make me sick.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
Casie629
Registered Users
seller

The big concern with deli meat is listeria, which isn't common, but can have serious effects. Heating is supposed to kill it, so I just have a hot sandwich if I want one. I do try to avoid nitrates, but I don't eat it often anyway so I am not too concerned I guess.

I now only have one cup of coffee in the morning, and only drink tea if we are out somewhere. I mainly cut out tea at home to force myself to drink more water though.

Soft cheese is only a concern if it's unpasteurized, and most of what you can buy in the US is pasteurized so soft cheese isn't a risk.

Cant think of anything else...
Casie629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:56 AM   #6
ambie719
Registered Users
seller
seller

I really don't avoid much of anything. I don't eat lunch meat all that often, so if I do want it I just heat it up before I make my sandwich, no big deal. I don't cut out caffeine, I have a can of Coke a day, which has less caffeine than a small cup of coffee (which is allowed,) so my docs have always told me its not a big deal. I don't eat soft cheese, and I rarely eat eggs, but when I do I usually have them hard-boiled, so not an issue. And I don't take anything besides my prenatal so I'm no help with DHA.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:24 AM   #7
groovymum
Registered Users

My Mood:

Any cheese that is sold either in big chain stores or restuarants in pasturized. Which means soft cheeses are fine. Unless you get cheese from a specialty store or it clearly states "raw" your cheese has been pasturized and it is fine Not to mention the current listeria outbreak is in cantalope.
groovymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:38 AM   #8
lemurkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm not normally a fan of soft cheeses so nothing i'm worried about, as for deli meats, we eat them very very rarely and I just heat them. As for caffiene, coke and pepsi seem to be the only things that are keeping my tummy calm so I've been drinking a bit of it.

I take the reccomended amount of DHA on the bottle as well as a multi vitamin and folic acid.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:39 AM   #9
graceworks
Registered Users
Formerly: annaelise
seller
seller

My Mood:

wow thanks for letting me know about cantaloupe! I hadn't heard that!
loving being a stay at home wife to DH (married 4/11/09) and mommy to DD1 (10/4/10) and little DD2 (5/30/12) and expecting baby #3 in March!
graceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #10
KryzdanJDC
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Id never heard of the deli meat before this preg and I have always just eaten straight deli meat with every pregnancy. Actually i eat alot of plain bread and just cheese too. hmmmm guess i just like everything separate when pregnant LOL

Try some Great Food Mixes at Quick and Easy Mixes for Cooks On the Go
KryzdanJDC is offline   Reply With Quote