Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
ajones225
Registered Users
seller

Cost per diaper--serged obv fitteds

Hello diaper sewing mavens out there!

I am curious as to the general cost per diaper (one size) to make knit outer, obv inner, with petal soakers from bamboo fleece. How much yardage for each diaper of the bamboo fabrics? Has anyone ever done the math on the cost breakdown before? Don't want to sell them, just for our own use. Oh, and pattern....does the very baby pattern fit similar to goodmamas/piddle poddles, etc?

Thanks!!

Advertisement

ISO/IHA
ajones225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
EskimoStitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajones225
Hello diaper sewing mavens out there!

I am curious as to the general cost per diaper (one size) to make knit outer, obv inner, with petal soakers from bamboo fleece. How much yardage for each diaper of the bamboo fabrics? Has anyone ever done the math on the cost breakdown before? Don't want to sell them, just for our own use. Oh, and pattern....does the very baby pattern fit similar to goodmamas/piddle poddles, etc?

Thanks!!
What it will cost will depend on how cheap you can get the material. If you pay retail vs buy used vs buy wholesale you could have very different prices per yard. Some buy fabric from coops which is slightly more than wholesale and some fsot for more than retail because they want to recoup pp fees and shipping. As far as the rest, I don't make diapers so idk about patterns.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
amholb0
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cost per diaper--serged obv fitteds

Here's a kit for about $4.00 per diaper, I think if we every have another baby, I'm going to make 36 of these. I don't think they'd be that hard to make into one size just use the largest one offered and add snaps down the front.
http://wazoodle.com/index.php/diaper-making/kits/precut-diaper-kits/lgb-bamboo-diaper-kit-2.html

amholb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
EskimoStitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by amholb0
Here's a kit for about $4.00 per diaper, I think if we every have another baby, I'm going to make 36 of these. I don't think they'd be that hard to make into one size just use the largest one offered and add snaps down the front.
http://wazoodle.com/index.php/diaper-making/kits/precut-diaper-kits/lgb-bamboo-diaper-kit-2.html
I have read that they fit really slim and were not super high quality bamboo so when they got washed, they disintegrated really fast.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
amholb0
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh good to know! Thanks!

amholb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
ajones225
Registered Users
seller

Ah, that looks awesome. Too bad it's not the materials I would want. Okay, I guess I need to find a co-op to join. Thanks--if anyone else has priced it with fabrics from online retailers, lmk!

ISO/IHA
Old 06-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
MomdeIsla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not sure about the size you are making...I recently cut out some BV newborn dipes....I got 20 layers out of 2 yards of BV, and 10 layers of 1 yard bamboo fleece , my soakers only have 3 layers, since the dipes were 3 layers and these are for a newbie. This was enough to cut out 10 newborn sized dipes.

I bought the fabric from a co op a couple of years ago..but based on slighter lower than retail and I'm adding a little for shipping (guessing here)....this is the super plush fabric the WAHM use...high quality stuff.

BV 10/ yd
BF 10/ yd
$30 in fabric
13 sockets, 19 caps, and 3 studs per diaper x 10
18 inches of elastic per diaper x 10
probably less than $12 in notions

I didn't count thread....I sew so much I just keep in in the house.

I'm guess you could get about 6-7 OS dipes from the same yardage....but I havn't cut a large amount of that size out yet

Last edited by MomdeIsla; 06-26-2012 at 01:39 PM.
MomdeIsla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #8
TakodasMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EskimoStitches View Post
I have read that they fit really slim and were not super high quality bamboo so when they got washed, they disintegrated really fast.
Just a good word of advice. NEVER buy from Wazoodle. I did and shortly after placing my order, my card information was trying to be used in another country. It happened to be the same country that Wazoodle was from (Canada). And I don't put my card information out there for it to be taken. So either the company itself is fishy or their sight is not secure.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:56 AM   #9
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/10200125...diaper-pattern you might want to try this pattern. I have it and keep threatening to make it but haven't yet as I don't have anyone in diapers at the moment (DS got trained 2 years ago too). However PP and GM were my favorite diapers for DS and this seems the most like them, that I have found.

I can't help with the rest of it. Good luck!
Old 06-27-2012, 06:27 AM   #10
ajones225
Registered Users
seller

So helpful, Momdeisla! If anyone wants to add me to a co-op or share wholesale pricing...

ISO/IHA