Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #11
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help me plan meals with the little I have left...

I think others have given you some really good suggestions. I would probably need to buy more flour and some rice.

-I would roast the turkey and pull ALL the meat off the carcass, then use the carcass to make turkey and veg soup (add some of the meat back in). Use the roast meat in other recipes, not just sliced on a plate (won't go as far that way). Turkey sammies, tacos, etc.
-That's a lot of salsa but you should probably take advantage of it... maybe turkey tortilla soup? You can make homemade tortillas, they are super easy, but would eat up a lot of your flour ration.
-Do you have butter or oil? Pasta with butter/oil and veg, some ground meat or cheese, etc
-Lots of things with eggs - scrambled eggs, toad in the hole, egg sandwiches, french toast, etc. You could make pudding or custard for snackies, if you start to feel deprived?

Good luck mama and let us know how things go!

Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #12
yarrowwind
Registered Users
seller

First, don't buy milk. It's expensive and you don't need it, used the dried to cook with and the milk for cereal only. (And I love to drink milk, I am not anti-milk, but if you're on a budget cut that out first... also juice... just drink water.)

turkey dinner (thanksgiving style) with stuffing and veggies
turkey tacos with some of the leftover meat and cheese
turkey soup from leftover bones/meat (make your own broth) and frozen veggies and pasta and beans if needed

Pulled pork with bbq sauce on bread and sides of veggies
Banana bread with oats in it
banana oatmeal

spaghetti for dinner (cook extra pasta)
breakfast spaghetti
pasta with turkey (1lb) meat sauce with the diced tomatoes

scrambled eggs with cheese
Soup with turkey meatballs, pasta (or dumplings), and veggies
BBQ beef with sides of veggies

Make english muffins (they are easy, I promise) serve with yogurt as a breakfast
make wheat bread and make grilled cheese sandwiches
use beans, tomatoes, taco seasoning, pasta and cheese to make “mexican” pasta

Make crepes and serve with fruit or yogurt
make rye bread and use it for toads in a hole (no personal recipe but you can look it up on allrecipes or similar)
Use bread (wheat or white) for fried banana sandwiches

Use pasta, eggs, milk, veggies, tomatoes, and cheese and seasoning to do a faux lasagna
cheerios with fruit and milk for breakfast
french toast with any leftover bread
pasta salad with beans and veggies

you'll need some extra items... sorry... also flour and potatoes (potatoes are cheap)

sausages with rice a roni and veggies (like a stir fry, though you don't have to do Asian seasonings)
sausage, potatoes, veggies and cheese as a skillet fry
egg drop soup (if you have ginger)

lakes (as breakfast)
potato bread (for use as anything, serve as toast for breakfast with fruit and eggs on the side)
Potato soup

oven fries (as a snack or with beans and bbq sauce and cheese as a meal)
caramelized bananas over toast for breakfast
cinnamon toast (for a meal or snack)
Veggie, bean, egg, cheese, pasta bake
biscuits and gravy (make gravy with the gizzards/etc from the turkey)

I think that covers it... mix up the meal ideas so you aren't eating a week's worth of turkey all at once (but make the turkey recipes in that order so you are using all the parts of the bird). Oh, and remember that 3-4oz is a serving size of meat. Should be approximately the size of a deck of cards.

I hope this helps... good luck!

Last edited by yarrowwind; 06-27-2012 at 10:33 AM. Reason: throught train derailed..
yarrowwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #13
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Thank you so much ladies! It really does help. I think I AM going to end up breaking down and buying some flour. I know between the pasta, the turkey and the veggies making the dinners shouldn't be a problem, but for lunches in particular, not having more bread will make things tough.

Juice, we almost never have juice anyway. But the milk we have to have. For DD3 in particular.

I did find out today that my mom is taking DD1 to Chicago with her this weekend, so I don't need to feed her for 3 days this weekend. And for 4th of July, we are going to a picnic, so I won't need lunch or dinner for that day.

I do have butter, found a large tub of country crock in the back of the fridge that I bought earlier in the week and forgot about. I also located some pickles and a jar of peanut butter in the pantry too, hiding behind some pasta lol

So, planning the menu..

Today:
*Breakfast-oatmeal for me and the kids, cereal for Dh
*Lunch-"bunch of stuff on a plate"-cheese, pickles, cherries, etc. DH made 2
sandwiches, which used up nearly all the bread
*Dinner-spaghetti with sauce from a can of diced tomatoes, run it through the processor, add some garlic salt and some basil, some corn starch to thicken to sauce. Probably have some leftover for DH to take to work

I took the turkey out of the freezer to start thawing. I don't know if it will be ready to roast tomorrow.

Tomorrow I am going to use some of the flour to make a loaf of bread. Then I will see exactly where I stand on flour from there. I suspect I will need to get eggs, the salsa, flour and milk tomorrow.

Tomorrow's menu:
*Breakfast-Scrambled eggs with cheese
*lunch-Peanut Butter Sandwiches with cherries (DH take leftover sketti)
*Dinner-BBQ beef with veggies

Friday, DD1 will go to work in the morning, then stay with my mom, so she will only be home for breakfast.

*Breakfast-Egg sandwiches on english muffins (actually a recipe for english muffin bread in my bread machine...it's really good)
*Lunch-PB sandwiches and bananas (DH take leftover bbq beef)
*Dinner-Roast Turkey, bag of frozen veggies, box of rice a roni

By having the roast turkey first on Friday with DD1 not here, that will leave more leftovers for the next week. That's as far as I can get right now, but like I said, I think I am going to have to get some more flour. After that I think I can manage with everything else. But with so little flour and no more bread, it would be tough to fill everyone up.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:04 PM   #14
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Oh, what's toads in a hole?
Old 06-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #15
ittybittycoconuts
Registered Users
seller

Since your getting flour make a huge batch of rolls too. You can do garlic cheddar, garlic and herb and onion rolls. Use them with your soups and to make mini sandwiches with all your shredded meat and turkey.

Id also get some lettuce and tomato
ittybittycoconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #16
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
Oh, what's toads in a hole?
Bread with a hole in the middle. Crack egg inside and fry in pan. Turn after white has set. We call it egg in the hole.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #17
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

OOOOOooooohhh, I haven't ever heard it called that before, but we have done that too.

Able to take a closer look at the money stuff...basically as of Friday, we are going to have $160 to take us from 6/29 to 7/6, to pay for gas and food and anything else. The thing is, DH commutes an hour. He has a bike, but it's had some issues lately. If he takes the bike every day next week, it's about $75 in gas, but if he has to take the car at all, the car uses twice as much as as the bike. I should be able to avoid driving too much, because DD1's soccer is on a moratorium week, so I won't have to take her to practices, just to work.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #18
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

OOOOOooooohhh, I haven't ever heard it called that before, but we have done that too.

Able to take a closer look at the money stuff...basically as of Friday, we are going to have $160 to take us from 6/29 to 7/6, to pay for gas and food and anything else. The thing is, DH commutes an hour. He has a bike, but it's had some issues lately. If he takes the bike every day next week, it's about $75 in gas, but if he has to take the car at all, the car uses twice as much as as the bike. I should be able to avoid driving too much, because DD1's soccer is on a moratorium week, so I won't have to take her to practices, just to work.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #19
yarrowwind
Registered Users
seller

You can also grind up some of the oats in a food processor and use them as flour (mix with white flour) and make oat bread. It's different but quite yummy.
yarrowwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:11 AM   #20
JadeScarlet
Registered Users

I like the previous oat bread suggestion - yum.

I just wanted to throw in quiches - I think they are good for any meal of the day, hot or cold. They are also good for using up leftovers.

My basic quiche recipe is taken from Julia Child and goes like this:

10 oz any veg (broccoli, peppers, spinach, onions, whatever you have) or 1 package of mixed veggies
3 eggs + enough milk to make 1.5 cups
1/4 cup cheese (julia child calls for swiss, but I put in any cheese that I've got handy)
salt and pepper to taste.

You can do this crustless, or you can use your butter and flour to make a pie crust.

Cooking: mix ingredients together, pour into shallow baking dish, sprinkle some extra cheese on top, bake 35 minutes at 375 F or until puffed and brown.

My other egg option is frittata:
(for 4-6 people)
Scramble 4-6 eggs (I do 1 egg per person), mix with onions, sliced potatoes, peppers, spinach (again, about 10 oz of any vegetable that you have on hand, could also add chopped sausage or bacon if you still have it). Maybe 1/4 -1/2 cup cheese mixed in and sprinkled on top. Mix it all together. Heat oil in a pan, pour into pan, once it is cooked on the bottom, flip it, then cut into wedges when done.

I should mention if you do a potato frittata (I can't remember if potatoes were on your list or not, but they tend to be cheap and last a while) - saute the potatoes (and onions too) in oil first until they are soft, then add eggs and other veggies. Or saute all the veggies first then add eggs. I like to add chopped bell peppers with the eggs so they stay crunchy but you can do it either way.

Fritatta will be good with that salsa you mentioned.

And since I mentioned potatoes: they are good with anything if you just bake them (meat, veggies, cheese).

You got a lot of great suggestions from the other responses too, so good luck.