Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #21
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Help me plan meals with the little I have left...

I don't have anything new to add, but I'd be very curious to hear how the meal stretching worked, what you chose to make, if everyone at the table felt they were satisfied, etc.

Advertisement

twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #22
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't know where you live but my neighbor already has epic amounts of tomatoes. I just went over and begged for some. ( Not out of need but want! I love homegrown! She gladly let me go pick a grocery bag full of ripe and told me I could take some green ones for frying.)

So if you know someone with a big garden, you might want to ask. Also If you have crazy amounts of something you don't use (Like BBQ sauce), you could ask a friend to trade you for something you need.

I would also check into seeing if you qualified for Wic.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #23
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Thanks again ladies!

So, I did go to the store, I intended to get flour, milk, and eggs.

Instead, I actually went to two stores, two separate trips, spent $12 between the two trips and got a TON of stuff

I got 2 gallons of milk and a dozen eggs at Walgreens, spent $5 there. Then went to meijer and spent just $7

I am in the midwest and do garden myself but my garden is not doing well. I just picked one cherry tomato today, I have one banana pepper ripening, and one cuke growing on the vine. I can't wait till the stuff starts producing. We are in the middle of both a huge heat wave (like everyone else) and a drought, so my garden has taken a beating. Other folks are doing a bit better, but there's not much in the way of huge overage yet.

WIC-no way we qualify for wic, and we don't actually need it anyway. This is just a very temporary situation and it's as much a challenge to myself as it is a necessity. Basically, we paid a huge debt settlement this month and scrabbled together $2100 in the month of June, despite DH's paychecks being $100 to $250 short each week (due to holidays, company shut down for a day, and a payroll problem.) So it's not a chronic income problem...or even any income problem at all, just a situation that leaves us squeezing every last drop of blood out of every last penny for now.

But, with what I got, I will for sure be able to round out the rest of the week's menu.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote