Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Canned cherries?

So the grocery store had cherries for 99cents a lb and I think I may want to can them rather than freeze because freezing them changes the taste and texture so much. How do canned sweet cherries compare to fresh?

Advertisement

3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Canned cherries?

I have never tried them uncooked, but they work well in cooking. We make pork chops with rosemary and canned cherries- its very good. I don't know that I'd just eat them cold though. The texture is close to fresh, but a little off- a little softer. If you like cherry pie you could can cherry pie filling.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I think I might just do that since my primary uses will be as either cobbler or pie. Thanks for the input!
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
rebeccalynne15
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have a cherry tree and last year I just placed them single on cookie sheet froze them put in zip locks ....kids eat them frozen and I like to add to oatmeal when cooking or breads . Didn't find much of a taste difference really ... This year we did the same plus I canned a bunch for pie/cobbler whatever filling lol . I didn't add a thickener and I think less sugar I will check and post back later . Haven't tried it yet though