Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-01-2012, 07:44 AM   #1
Cleokatrah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Infant Sleep Schedules

Yep, the one millionth and one thread :-) Using "sleep schedule" in this forum as a search term is kinda like pouring blue ink in black than trying to differentiate.

My dd has been the kindest teacher among infants (thus far). It seems every time I'm at my wits end, she changes the thing that is making me crazy and everything is peaceful again - until her next habit/(dis)ability. HOWEVER, she most definitely likes to fall asleep late and sleep in. I actually have no problem with this most days but I'd like to get to something a little more normal. While I don't mind sleeping in with her until 10, I do lose too much time and I feel like I'm encouraging a bad habit.

I typically like to be up around 6-7 (hubby leaves at 4) and in bed around 9. We've been giving her bath around 7 (earliest we can manage on a schedule) and for a very short while she was falling asleep between 8:30 and 10. Now she is in the 11-1am range and I can't seem to get her off. when I wake her up early, she just grumps and wants to sleep frequently during the day then is even fussier to put down at night. If I let her set the schedule, she sleeps until 10am/12pm and because I get up early for a short while, I am sleeping with her.

She doesn't take long naps during the day, just a few catnaps, unless of course i lay down with her. I'm more than happy to let her have her way for now if I can get some assurance from you guys that I can still set her schedule later on. She is 4 months right now. Can I let her get away with her current schedule and still enforce a different one later? If so, when is a good time to start retraining her, and how?

Advertisement

Cleokatrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Infant Sleep Schedules

Yes, you can change her schedule. It's recommended to change it in 15minutes increments. So, 11pm to 9pm is going to take some time to change.

Yes, you can let her get away with this one and enforce a completely different one later.

The thing is, she's 4months. She may or may not go through the 4month sleep regression (http://www.babysleepsite.com/how-we-...ep-regression/), but either way, her sleep is going to change dramatically about this time. She's going to start the whole 'REM' sleep cycles. She may do it with no difficulties, she may have some difficulties, but her sleep will shift into a more adult type cycle now or soon.

But if the bedtime and wake up time are bothering you, I would try changing it, slowly. As for naps, at 4months, my daughter still took all her naps in the swing. Naps with me came at 6months and alone naps in her crib came around 8 or so months, I think. It's been awhile. Some people's babies may nap in their crib at 4months - all babies are different.

My kiddo was also still swaddled for sleep times (except swing naps) until 9months. Which could help your naps, if you wanted to try it.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
megenic
Registered Users
seller

I found the Baby Whisperer book to be super helpful when mine were babies as far as helping me establish a routine went. She shows you exactly how to start establishing a routine (not a schedule, because small babies shouldn't have an inflexible schedule). Once I got them on her "eat, play, sleep" routine, mine both started taking good naps and going to bed at about 7 or 7:30 each night, which has continued to this day and they're now 4 and 2.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

This sounds like my DD at that age. I never really messed with her schedule, and it has changed several times throughout the months. Currently (14 months), she will pretty much fall asleep whenever it is dark, and wake 11 hrs later. It's lovely. I say it's fine to wait it out if that's what you want to do
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:13 AM   #5
Cleokatrah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

@Emily: Aha! I had a feeling our particular problem was a common one and I was hoping I was doing the right thing. It's good to know I'm mostly on track. You hear so much talk about teaching children good bed habits early on that watching my baby sleep past 8am was nerve wracking. I think I will stop my attempts to change her "schedule" for the time being. Thanks for the reassurance, and the 15 minute tip. I've never heard that before!

@megenic: I keep seeing the name of that book so I guess I will have to check it out, heh. I came across the routine advice in my search. We bounce between "eat, sleep, play" to "eat, play, sleep" a lot. I'm trying to get her to lean toward the latter but she likes the former. I suppose whatever works, huh? I know my daughter truly loves her routines, too. On the couple occasions we've skipped her night bath, she is crankier than usual and hard to settle. Perhaps I should also let her have the "eat, sleep, play" routine then try and urge a change later on.

@Teexie: Mad love for your avater :-) I figured her schedule would shift a few times before she finally settled on "The One". It is so hard to know when to step in and guide baby, and when to step back and let baby guide you. I'm hearing this is more a baby-guide-you. Thank you very much.
Cleokatrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #6
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Doesn't hurt to try, but she also may just be a night owl. My friends DD is like that, and at 2.5 years still goes to sleep between 9-10 and gets up around 9:30.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #7
kateroc
Registered Users
seller

Does she take an evening nap? Like around 6 or 7? You might be surprised to find that that is actually when she wants to go to bed. I know it sounds crazy to put a baby to bed at 6 p.m., but both of my boys fell into that schedule around 4 or 5 months (it kind of happened around the time they dropped their "third" nap and went down to just a morning and an afternoon nap). Their "night" would be roughly 6:30 p.m. to 6 a.m. (not that they necessarily slept through, but any wake ups would just be quick feeds and right back to sleep). With DS2 especially, I KNOW there were days I felt ridiculous and put him to bed even a few minutes before 6 p.m., but he was tired and was ready!
Old 07-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #8
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Since around 7 months, I find ds needs a12 hour night. During the school year when I work, he goes down at 7, sleeps till 7, takes a 2 hour nap. Now that we're both on summer hours, he goes down at 8:30, usually plays in there until 9:30, sleeps until 9-9:30, and takes a 1 hour nap.
I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...
Hope4More is offline   Reply With Quote