Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-27-2012, 09:12 AM   #1
HeidiMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Balance bike, trike or 12 bike for my little 3 yo twins?

Hey all...my twins are turning 3 and I want to get them new bikes for their birthday. Right now, we have cheapo plastic trikes but they don't pedal them...just push themselves along. They are little boys...10th percentile for height and weight. I want something they can really ride. They saw a 12 in Spiderman bike they love but I am not sure....seems to sit up high and easily tip (let alone, I don't really like cartoon type toys). The Schwinn Roadster trike looks nice but now I've come across balance bikes....anyone want to put in her ? Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Idk. Depends, how tall are they? Can they straddle the bike with feet touching? Or would you use training wheels in the 12 in?
Old 06-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Balance bike, trike or 12 bike for my little 3 yo twins?

Balance bikes are great, at least with Strider, they're light (7 lbs), hard to really hurt themselves as wheels (foam tires) are the only thing that's moving and can adjust the height along with buying extended seatpost once they are taller.

It teaches them to balance on bikes faster than a regular bicycle with training wheels.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #4
pcjs
Registered Users

We have a balance bike for our almost 3 year old and he doesn't get it so try one before you buy it. Maybe when he's older. We play with it but its pointless. We also have the Walmart flexible flyer folding trike and that is nice as it is for smaller kids.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Take them to a store and have them sit on your various options. Ds is a bit younger (2 1/2) but he HATES our balance bike, wants nothing to do with it. It's too wobbly when he stands on it and I think it scares him a bit. We tried him on a 12" bike and he couldn't figure out the pedals but then put him on a traditional radio flyer trike and he figured it right out and rides on it all the time.

Dd1 and dd2 never liked trikes but prefered a bike. Dd1 had a bike with training wheels - loved that bike. Dd2 had a balance bike and liked but never really figured out how to balance really good on it.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
MavericksMama
Registered Users
seller

No way will they be able to pedal the schwinn roadster. My son is 87th percentile for height at 36 months old, and with the seat all the way forward he still cannot reach both pedals all the way. You could get the 12 inch bikes and have a bike shop take off the pedal assembly fpr a balance bike, then put them back on when they are ready.
MavericksMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #7
MavericksMama
Registered Users
seller

My browser is spazzing and will not let me edit, but I meant 30 months old!
MavericksMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
One HUGE difference between a cheapie 12 inch bike and a balance bike is weight. The 12 inch Magna (target) bike we bought off CL is really heavy whereas our Haro balance bike is super light and my 3 yo daughter flies on it. It's hard for her to pick the 12 inch bike up off the ground.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #9
HeidiMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All good info...thanks so much! More info: boys are around 36 inches tall and would def need to use the training wheels and since we live out in the country, most riding will be on gravel and grass. Our sidewalks are a mess as we are having major work done on our house right now. Good to know about the Roadster...I was worried that their feet wouldn't be able to touch and this confirms that. I like the idea of the lightness and simplicity of the balance bikes but all that won't matter if they don't like them. I need to find one they can try out but do I *really* want to take them all into Walmart (I detest)?? : )
Old 06-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
llamabeans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have a strider that my 3 year old got for christmas, he's now able to put his feet up and balance while he's coasting. Its amazing because our older 3 didn't start riding a bike until 2nd 3rd grade with the training wheels, our middle guy is 5 and is terrified of bikes. I wish we knew about the strider when he was younger.

It took a good 3-4 mos for him to figure the strider out, but he did and now every night after bath (when it cools down here) he wants to ride his bike to the mail box.
He's also allowed to bring it inside where he rides it during the day too. It's really light and he has yet to fall off it and get hurt. They are a good investment.

ETA:
I got ours on ebay for 66$..it was new when "santa" got it. watch craigslist and ebay.

Last edited by llamabeans; 06-27-2012 at 11:01 AM.
llamabeans is offline   Reply With Quote