Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-27-2012, 11:05 AM   #11
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Balance bike, trike or 12 bike for my little 3 yo twins?

We had a 12 inch bike that the kids rode without using pedals in the backyard. They could all ride a two wheeler without training wheels by 4 yrs old. But, the taller bikes were a whole different story, and they couldn't get those going very well.

Last summer, I saw two boys at a zoo riding these. They looked to be about 3-4-ish. The bikes looked very cool. But, $90 each is a lot. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=4162420

Anyway, since they aren't using the pedals on the other bikes, i'd go with a balance bike. Training wheels are no fun. If they can't pedal, and can't balance, there's no point.

Advertisement

Last edited by escapethevillage; 06-27-2012 at 11:07 AM.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #12
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:

Call around your local bike shop as most bike distributors carry Strider and other brands.
PBAki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:50 AM   #13
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Balance bikes for sure.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #14
MavericksMama
Registered Users
seller

In the country, balance bikes...a bike with training wheels is MISERABLE on anything but sidewalk! They are so difficult to pedal on grass/gravel with how they are geared.
MavericksMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #15
HeidiMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok....I'm gonna go balance bike....what are some good, reasonable priced brands? I'm looking at Strider and MiniGlider right now. Any other suggestions? Thanks so much, ladies! This is helping me out soooo much!
Old 06-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #16
MrsStripe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What about one of each? That way, maybe they can take turns and use both. I would have liked to have gotten a balance bike for DS, but we didn't. We did get him this tricycle and it worked great for him http://www.target.com/p/radio-flyer-...i_detailbutton He didn't have problems reaching the pedals at all, but he may have been a little taller.
MrsStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #17
Gitrecca
Registered Users

I got our son one of these when he turned two. He "loved" it, but didn't actually ride it much till he turned three. Then, he flew on it. Started actually balancing and it was awesome. He turned four end of March and he got a 12 inch bike last month. I left the training wheels on for two rides and then took them off. He was riding in thirty minutes with no training wheels. I don't think that will always be the case, but I definitely recommend them. These are the cheap walmart bikes but it has worked beautifully for us for two years. And they're cheap! $35 (but when we bought it it was $22).

http://www.walmart.com/ip/WeeRide-10...-Bike/17206802
Old 06-27-2012, 01:33 PM   #18
HeidiMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsStripe View Post
What about one of each? That way, maybe they can take turns and use both. I would have liked to have gotten a balance bike for DS, but we didn't. We did get him this tricycle and it worked great for him http://www.target.com/p/radio-flyer-...i_detailbutton He didn't have problems reaching the pedals at all, but he may have been a little taller.

This is a great idea but they have to have everything EXACTLY the same to maintain peace in the home....same color, same style, everything!
Old 06-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #19
HeidiMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitrecca View Post
I got our son one of these when he turned two. He "loved" it, but didn't actually ride it much till he turned three. Then, he flew on it. Started actually balancing and it was awesome. He turned four end of March and he got a 12 inch bike last month. I left the training wheels on for two rides and then took them off. He was riding in thirty minutes with no training wheels. I don't think that will always be the case, but I definitely recommend them. These are the cheap walmart bikes but it has worked beautifully for us for two years. And they're cheap! $35 (but when we bought it it was $22).

This looks good and cheap! No complaints?
Old 06-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #20
mommybonner
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitrecca

We got the same bike for ds about a month ago. He will be 3 in september and loves it!
mommybonner is offline   Reply With Quote