Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
allieono
Registered Users

Why don't more people do AIO stashes?

I'm due in about 7 weeks with my first. I'm building a (mostly) AIO OS stash with prefolds and covers for newborn stage. My husband will be the stay at home caregiver with 2 days a weeks babysitting at his mother's house for a few hours until I can come home from work. After reviewing all of the options, it seemed that AIO's were the best choice for semi-reluctant dad and grandmother. I chose OS because we simply cannot afford to buy sized. But the more I read here on DiaperSwappers the more I realize that almost NOBODY uses this kind of stash and its making me nervous.

Is there a reason that nobody stashes this way in what seems to me to be the most simple, user-friendly way? Talk to me about pros and cons!

Advertisement

allieono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Why don't more people do AIO stashes?

There are plenty of people who use all AIOs. It is just a more expensive route to go than say all prefolds and covers.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
KB'sMama1031
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

because they take forever to dry!
my stash all one size, it is half pockets and half AiOs which works out so that I have diapers while the AiOs dry for days
AIOs are know for being daddy/grandma/daycare favorites, I think a lot of people just like variety, your stash will probably work well for your situation.. just make sure you are prepared to do a lot of drying or you have a lot of diapers to make up for the dry time
Old 06-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #4
Cadensmum
Registered Users
seller

I am due in 5 weeks and I have AIOs in newborn/small sizes because they are more convenient. But all of my OS are pockets. I've done this because I'm having a boy and sometimes boys can be more of heavy wetters. I can just add more inserts to the pocket diapers so they dont leak.
Cadensmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
Nimyue
Registered Users
seller

The drying time is very long. Also the PUL will wear out faster if you always dry in the dryer. With pockets, the stuffing goes in the dryer and the shell hangs, same essentially with fitteds/prefold/flats in the dryer the PUL covers on the line. Also I imagine changing absorbency in an AiO is not as simple as adding more stuffing or laying in a doubler in a fitted..

However, if AiOs are the only diapers you can imagine using every day for a couple years, then that's what you should do! If you have diapers you hate using, CDing won't be fun and you'll be more likely to quit or spend more money later getting what you do like.

Although, honestly tastes change! I love Ai2s for a long time! Snap ins were easier than stuffing but could still separate for drying time. But eventually even snapping became too much trouble for me and now I'm doing mostly fitteds.... And now I'm prefold curious!

Last edited by Nimyue; 06-27-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Nimyue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #6
eschillo
Registered Users
seller

with 2 in diapers all we use use is AIO's now...very convenient! Plus my DD is in a cloth friendly daycare and they are much easier for her teachers...
eschillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
artsiekat
Registered Users
seller

I actually don't even have a dryer, just a washer. So AIO's were out the door the minute I knew about them!
artsiekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #8
Beesgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Probably because it's more expensive and harder to adjust absorbency.

Kate, mama to
Miles (2.11.06), Levi (6.24.09) and Isaac (9.25.11)
Beesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

I don't have the patience for the long dry time, and I live in a very hard water area where diapers are a bit harder to come clean. I like my diapers to come all the way apart for easier washing and drying.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #10
mamaspice
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by allieono
I'm due in about 7 weeks with my first. I'm building a (mostly) AIO OS stash with prefolds and covers for newborn stage. My husband will be the stay at home caregiver with 2 days a weeks babysitting at his mother's house for a few hours until I can come home from work. After reviewing all of the options, it seemed that AIO's were the best choice for semi-reluctant dad and grandmother. I chose OS because we simply cannot afford to buy sized. But the more I read here on DiaperSwappers the more I realize that almost NOBODY uses this kind of stash and its making me nervous.

Is there a reason that nobody stashes this way in what seems to me to be the most simple, user-friendly way? Talk to me about pros and cons!
What kind are you planning to use? A lot of aios are being designed with a faster dry time in mind with quick dry soakers, tunnel design, etc.

I use Bumgenius Elementals and Grovia AIOs as our going out/daddy dipes and I don't notice a huge dry time compared to my prefolds.

Many of us here just can't handle having only one kind of diaper to use so that's why our stashes are so varied. AIOs are a totally legit and easy to use system, although the start up cost can be a bit higher.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote