Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #11
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Why don't more people do AIO stashes?

Like PP's, the laundry routine just wasn't convenient for us (we both WOH FT & our weather is frequently cruddy. Drying outside is not an option most of the year & they take FOREVER to dry inside. That said, I was glad that we had a few when DD was a nb--they were very handy...I'm likewise very happy that she's not wearing them now as a toddler b/c of how heavily she wets.

Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #12
2much2luv
Registered Users
seller
seller

What they said! If I were going with a simple one step system I would do pockets instead of AIO's just for the ease of care.
2much2luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #13
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

We use BottomBumpers all in ones -- in my view, these are perfect. My boys are in daycare, so need a one step diaper. I did FuzziBunz pockets for a long time, but got soooo sick of stuffing. BottomBumpers have a snap-in soaker, so they dry super quick. They come in either snaps or aplix -- I hate aplix, but a lot of people hate snaps so I like that they have both options. I don't like one-size diapers, but they do offer that option. We used our mediums for a total of about 3 years (when DS1 outgrew them, DS2 was growing into them) in a small stash, and by the time DS2 outgrew them the inners were pretty much in shreds (though still very usable) but the PUL was still almost perfect -- and I always dry in the dryer.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #14
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by allieono View Post
I'm due in about 7 weeks with my first. I'm building a (mostly) AIO OS stash with prefolds and covers for newborn stage. My husband will be the stay at home caregiver with 2 days a weeks babysitting at his mother's house for a few hours until I can come home from work. After reviewing all of the options, it seemed that AIO's were the best choice for semi-reluctant dad and grandmother. I chose OS because we simply cannot afford to buy sized. But the more I read here on DiaperSwappers the more I realize that almost NOBODY uses this kind of stash and its making me nervous.

Is there a reason that nobody stashes this way in what seems to me to be the most simple, user-friendly way? Talk to me about pros and cons!
I have tons of AIOs...BUT.. the reason why I personally would never do an AIO stash is because my son goes to daycare. At daycare you need a diaper that is easy (which AIOs are) but do not leak. This is so important. AIO's lack absorbancy and even the best AIO's IMO are not bulletproof. Pocket diapers, especially BG and Blueberry are pretty awesome. You can customize th absorbancy and they just don't leak hardly ever. Pain to stuff, but it's worth the pain to me.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #15
mandmsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have never been able to find and AIO that is absorbent enough for my heavy wetter. He leaks out of even the most absorbent ones so they aren't an option for us.
I'm Andrea- Special Needs CDing, Extended Harnessing, Homeschooling, NON-circumcising, SAHM to my beautiful little red headed princess Mylee Memphis (02/19/08) and my extra special Autistic little man Maverick Machai (11/30/09) and wife to Dustin since 05/12/07. We love our M&M babies!!!
mandmsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #16
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

We do. We have 90% BG Elementals. With 2 in cloth it's easy and it works.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 06-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #17
Earthy Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i think prefolds and covers are excellent for newborn stage...
personally, i have flip flopped my stash many times... i have only had a few all in ones (BGE) theres only a few downsized to it for me...

1...BLEACH! BG reccomends that u use bleach every month i thik it is...and i refuse to ever buy or use bleach.
also i have had stink issues back and forth with parts of my other stash so for me, keeping them clean was hard, but ive been cding for years and still havent really found my perfect washing system (im almost there though now i think)
2. how long they take to dry...

i think those are the only 2 issues for me, but i think for MANY reasons AIO are excellent! perfect for gmas n papas that are weary of cding, they are so simple!
i think why a lot of people dont have basically one thing in their stash is because they want to mix it up...but for me, i defiinately do not, so if i was an aio mama, id have the exact same stash.
for me though, i like pockets, and i am currently converting my entire stash to pockets and flats to pad fold and stuff them with...so me having my stash all the same, i think u having ur stash all the same too seems perfectly fine! good luck! n im proud of u n ur family for cding!
Old 06-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #18
Belbaby3728
Banned

90 percent of my stash is AIO's. They are my preference and work for us. Will they always? I don't know-my dd is 6 months and not a heavy wetter but that could change. If they stop working for us, we'll deal with it then.
Belbaby3728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #19
FriedaT
Registered Users
seller
seller

I, personally, just like variety and my mood changes frequently. The only AIO's we use anymore are BGE's and only rarely with this hot weather because the PUL isn't breathable enough so it makes my DD rashy.

The reasons we got rid of our AIO's were the PUL, how hard they were to clean in our well water, the long dry time, the leaks and the inability to really adjust absorbency well.

I'm now converting my stash to be mostly flats, prefolds, and a few fitteds for DH and GP's. We'll be keeping the BGE's but won't be buying more. I'm currently loving flats padfolded in covers! As easy as an AIO if you "pre-load" them, wash well, and dry super fast. I have some pretty covers and I tie dyed a dozen of the flats to keep things interesting.

ETA: I think a lot of the reason would also be the cost of an all AIO stash since many people CD to save money. Some people also just simply couldn't afford an AIO stash seeing as how you could get a dozen prefolds or two dozen flats for almost the same price as one or two AIO's (depending on brand, of course. There are cheaper AIO's out there.).

Also, I have had AIO's that you can stuff but I couldn't put enough absorbency in them without it being too thick and causing leg gaps which made them leak.

I tend to not dry diapers in the dryer, but most of my AIO's would take more than one cycle to dry. Outside it takes all day and I would finish them in the dryer, but that might be due to our ridiculously high humidity.

Last edited by FriedaT; 06-27-2012 at 12:06 PM.
FriedaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #20
seacat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandmsmommy View Post
I have never been able to find and AIO that is absorbent enough for my heavy wetter. He leaks out of even the most absorbent ones so they aren't an option for us.
I started with an AIO stash, but you will find as your child gets older that adding absorbency to AIOs is kind of a pain and if your going to have to do that its just easier to have a pocket (easier to stuff). I have a 50/50 stash for two kids. I like the AIOS and AI2s for my 6 month old, but there isn't much that holds my 2 year old other than a pocket. He can outwet most AIOs in one pee.
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote