Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #31
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: unexplained fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylove921 View Post
I usually would agree. But I think I had mentioned that his behavior had changed.
He wouldn't drink anything. Even as of this morning he won't drink.
He has a rash now, from his head to his little feet and all over his arm.
He hasn't had any vaccinations recently and besides the rash that showed up while in the Drs office no other symptoms.
I can't imagine not giving your child some sort of fever reducer if he is physically miserable. Sure 102 may not be that high, but if he doesn't feel good, lethargic, won't eat or drink and is just crying wouldn't you wanna give him something to make him feel better?
Hey mama, glad he is doing better! Not taking fluids is a big issue - not eating is fine, fluids are more important when they have a fever. Some people use popsicles for fluids :-)

I have never given my kids a fever reducer for a good, productive fever, because the fever is necessary. Fevers don't hurt, its the other stuff that makes them uncomfortable (chills, aches, etc.) and we use homeopathy and warm herbal teas and lots of snuggles for comfort. I don't withhold anything from them, I just support the process that their body is going through. The only time I have ever given my kids any medicine was when my then-15-month-old was on day 5 of a 104.6 fever and suddenly stopped taking fluids (he had been happy and playful until that evening). We tried for a couple of hours to get him to drink something but he wouldn't. At that point, the fever was not productive, and we had to either take him in for IV fluids so that his body could work it out, or give him something to break the fever. We gave him a fever-all sippository, and his fever went up to 105.4 within 15-20 minutes. We put him in the sink immediately with some cool (not cold, but not warm either!) water, he passed a huge bowel movement, and his fever broke and was gone within an hour and a half.

The most important thing is to follow your gut, which you did! I worked in emergency medicine until our oldest was born, and my DH is a chiropractor, so we are comfortable managing things fairly well on our own at home. We have a pantry full of herbal teas, homeopathic remedies, garlic, raw honey, and onions... And we live 7 minutes from the ER, just in case :-)

Good job mama, and I hope that rash clears up soon!

Advertisement

Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote