View Poll Results: Who is responsible for the health of your child?
I am personally responsible for the health of my child 75 100.00%
My child's doctor is personally responsible for the health of my child 0 0%
The drug companies are responsible for the health of my child 0 0%
My community is responsible for the health of my child 0 0%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:
Childhood Vaccinations and the Health of your Child

Certain diseases exist in this world and there are ways to prevent disease (through proper nutrition and lifestyle, or drugs/vaccines) and ways to treat or manage disease (through proper nutrition and lifestyle, or drugs/vaccines).

ETA: Some parents who choose to vaccinate their children also feel that parents of unvaccinated children are risking the health of others by not vaccinating. This is a debate of personal responsibility.

Who do you feel is responsible for the health of your child? What choices do you make to ensure that your children are healthy, and do you feel that you should bear personal responsibility for the health of every other child in your community?

Advertisement

Last edited by Green Decals; 06-27-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Childhood Vaccinations and the Health of your Child

I don't really like the way the choices are written at all.

Obviously I am responsible for the health of my child.
but, I do feel strongly that communities need to work together to keep children and the masses as healthy as possible.

It takes a village to raise a child. And that includes health.

shoot.. the entire 'free lunch' program began to try and help out families who didn't have the means to provide proper nutrition. And I, for one, am happy that the community helps meet that need. Which affects the health of our kids. And our communities.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
AfWife8405
Registered Users
seller
seller

I voted that I am responsible for the health of my child, BUT there are times where a little consideration is nice and that might fall under the "community" option.

If my child is sick, common cold or anything germy, I keep them home. I do not take them to the store and put them in a cart leaving their germs behind. We also do not have play dates at our home when someone is under the weather. So, I feel obligated as a member of my community to try to keep our germs to ourselves and not get anyone else sick.

It also really bothers me when people send their sick kids to school. I know sometimes parents have no option because they have to go to work but it still stinks when my child comes home with little Johnny's cold and now we all have it.

Ultimately, I do not rely on anyone else. I teach my kids to wash their hands, wipe down carts, use cart covers when I can, etc. If my child needs more than I can provide at home, I take them to the doctor BUT I do not just blindly trust the doctor either. Nobody cares as much for my child as DH & I do, so it is up to us to be their advocate.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
AfWife8405
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
I don't really like the way the choices are written at all.

Obviously I am responsible for the health of my child.
but, I do feel strongly that communities need to work together to keep children and the masses as healthy as possible.

It takes a village to raise a child. And that includes health.

shoot.. the entire 'free lunch' program began to try and help out families who didn't have the means to provide proper nutrition. And I, for one, am happy that the community helps meet that need. Which affects the health of our kids. And our communities.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #5
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well I voted that I am personally responsible, and I'm agree with what you seem to be saying....but this seems like it was started for a fight. I can already see the drama.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #6
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Well I voted that I am personally responsible, and I'm agree with what you seem to be saying....but this seems like it was started for a fight. I can already see the drama.
No fights allowed! I have IRL friends who believe that their child's health lies with their doctors, and one who feels that the drugs are the solution to everything wrong or potentially wrong with her son. In the other thread here recently I saw the mention of herd immunity and non-vaxing parents creating/causing/contributing to disease outbreaks... It made me wonder where everyone stands on who is responsible for their child's health. I mean, I trust my doctor too, but we don't agree on everything, and if my kid gets sick it is my responsibility to help them get well and prevent them from getting whatever else is lurking on the next nasty shopping cart. Some people blame everyone else's sick kid, and some run to their doctor right away, every time, and expect them to fix everything. Others think that, if vaccines were completely effective, we wouldn't have some diseases that keep coming around (and thereby point the finger to big pharma) and still others think the greater community all has vaccinate in order for their child to be healthy.

I posted this to find out where most people stand on the issue. Who is responsible, if you had to point the finger and place full responsibility on one entity, who would it be?
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:

I am responsible but I agree with what pp have said.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
MyPerfectLife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How about this...I am responsible for making sure my child's well being is managed by caring for his/her health, as well as choosing health care practitioners who support his/her health and well-being, advocating for transparency in drug company practices to support his/her well-being, and surrounding my family with supportive communities (including caregivers, friends, and systems) which support his/her well-being. It's multi-faceted. I couldn't care for my children's health on my own, so I advocate for the appropriate support. Ultimately, standards of practice, the law, and morality all come in to play...on some level this applies responsibility to others as well.
I voted me, though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DS Forum
Abby, SAHM mom to Maddy (10), Benny (7), Annie (3.5),and Joshy (1). Wife to my traveling hub for 11 years! Almost FT student (2nd time around). My life is not perfect, but I keep telling myself if I say it enough I will believe it!
MyPerfectLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:55 PM   #9
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I personally think blaming non-vaxed kids for illness is silly. IF the vaccines work and their kids are vaxed....why should they care what others choose? Yes... I know the argument about infants, chemo patients, etc. But I doubt not giving my daughter the Hep B at birth and waiting till she is older is going to effect anyone considering it is a blood born illness(and obviously I don't have it. )

I ALWAYS double check what a doctor says. I ask to see the lab results/test results. I double check the side effects of medication and alternatives. I get second opinions from people in the medical field that I trust. If I don't understand something... I will read up on it and ask someone that does to explain. My children are my responsibility. A doctor or a company or even the community are not the ones making the decisions for my child. They will not be effected if my child is sick or ill. They shouldn't make the decisions because no child is the same as another. Only a parent knows the day in day out health of their child and what is best for them.

I don't send my child to school sick or go to the grocery store. If I'm sick, I use the pharmacy drive through for prescriptions, etc. I wish more parents did the same. I keep regular over the counter stuff so I don't have to run to the store with a kid who has a fever to buy over the counter medication. I don't feel responsible for other peoples kids. They popped them out... it is their responsibility to care for them. They are suppose to teach them to wash their hands etc. However, I think it is morally WRONG to knowingly expose people to a sick child/ adult that is contagious. (whether it is the common cold, the flu, or something worse. )

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:58 PM   #10
808mamaof3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPerfectLife View Post
How about this...I am responsible for making sure my child's well being is managed by caring for his/her health, as well as choosing health care practitioners who support his/her health and well-being, advocating for transparency in drug company practices to support his/her well-being, and surrounding my family with supportive communities (including caregivers, friends, and systems) which support his/her well-being. It's multi-faceted. I couldn't care for my children's health on my own, so I advocate for the appropriate support. Ultimately, standards of practice, the law, and morality all come in to play...on some level this applies responsibility to others as well.
I voted me, though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DS Forum
I completely agree!