View Poll Results: Who is responsible for the health of your child?
I am personally responsible for the health of my child 75 100.00%
My child's doctor is personally responsible for the health of my child 0 0%
The drug companies are responsible for the health of my child 0 0%
My community is responsible for the health of my child 0 0%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-27-2012, 09:58 PM   #11
shen7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Childhood Vaccinations and the Health of your Child

I did not vote. The choices are not mutually exclusive. It should be a poll with boxes so you can check all that apply. Then, I would check all of them! Lol. Seriously though, I would.

Advertisement

shen7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #12
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I think it's a continuum really and that all the options are responsible, along that continuum.

The reality is that ultimately, the buck stops with the the parent. It's ultimately the parent's responsibility to ensure the kid eats right, take medications etc.

However, I also believe it's the doctor's responsibility to use his years of knowledge in a manner that best serves my child's health. Everyone makes mistakes and a doc is no different, but he still has a responsibility to do his best in diagnosing, advising, checking on, prescribing for and generally giving out health care and health care advice when it comes to my child or any of his other patients.

I also think that drug companies do carry a responsibility to ensure that the product they produce is as safe as it can be. I think that when they fail at that, how that affects the health of ALL the people utilizing the product they put out is the drug company's responsibility.

And I think that it is generally the responsibility of the general public to look out for the general welfare of the rest of the general public. That's why public dollars pay for public school and public dollars pay for police and fire and so on. And public health is no different and I think that the general public DOES carry some responsibility in helping to keep the spread of disease down, be that through not going to work when sick, proper hand washing, vaccines, whatever else.

To put it another way:

In terms of driving safety, it's the car companies responsibilities to make sure the cars they make are as safe as can be and function properly. It's the public's responsibility to make sure that the roads are properly cared for, stoplights are in place etc. It's ultimately the driver's responsibility to operate their motor vehicle in a safe manner, but there are still outside factors that affect the safety of operating a motor vehicle.

Likewise, it's ultimately the parents responsibility, but there are still other factors and bearers of responsibility that affect the health of the child.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:10 PM   #13
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am responsible for my children's health. Sure it would be nice if I lived in a community that cared about anyone other than themselves, but I don't. There is no community effort here at all, on anything.

I do many things to keep my children healthy. Eat a well balanced whole foods diet, be in nature as much as possible, don't be around people who are sick, stay home if we are sick, use medications when we need to, see a Doctor who agrees and understands with our choices, homeschool and they do not go to daycare (that's not to say they don't have friends and that they don't see other people often). As to date my kids have only been sick once, at the same time, with a mild flu which my husband most likely brought home from work.

No I do not believe I bare responsability to keep the community children healthy. It would be nice if life worked that way, but it doesn't. The only thing I can do to keep my community healthy is keeping my kids home when they are sick (and myself) and I do that. But I can't make sure my community eats right or see's a Doctor when they need to etc. Keeping the community healthy goes beyond vaccinations. In the many years that I have lived in this community we have not had any VPD illnesses here, except flu, so most illnesses are colds, allergies, flu, etc.

Last edited by JennTheMomma; 06-28-2012 at 07:26 AM.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #14
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

I didn't vote at all because I found the choices to be boo-hockey. It seems like picking any one of them is a delusionally narrow view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
I don't really like the way the choices are written at all.

Obviously I am responsible for the health of my child.
but, I do feel strongly that communities need to work together to keep children and the masses as healthy as possible.

It takes a village to raise a child. And that includes health.

shoot.. the entire 'free lunch' program began to try and help out families who didn't have the means to provide proper nutrition. And I, for one, am happy that the community helps meet that need. Which affects the health of our kids. And our communities.
Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Well I voted that I am personally responsible, and I'm agree with what you seem to be saying....but this seems like it was started for a fight. I can already see the drama.
I agree! It seems like the poll choices came down to either you take full unwavering responsibility for all aspects of your children's health OR you pawn all responsibility off onto other people. This is going to start major drama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPerfectLife View Post
How about this...I am responsible for making sure my child's well being is managed by caring for his/her health, as well as choosing health care practitioners who support his/her health and well-being, advocating for transparency in drug company practices to support his/her well-being, and surrounding my family with supportive communities (including caregivers, friends, and systems) which support his/her well-being. It's multi-faceted. I couldn't care for my children's health on my own, so I advocate for the appropriate support. Ultimately, standards of practice, the law, and morality all come in to play...on some level this applies responsibility to others as well.
I voted me, though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DS Forum
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shen7 View Post
I did not vote. The choices are not mutually exclusive. It should be a poll with boxes so you can check all that apply. Then, I would check all of them! Lol. Seriously though, I would.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #15
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

if my children were ever ill and needed to go to the dr i would take them. only DS1 has had a sick visit and that was when he needed abx for an ear infection. we homeschool though and that limits the amount of exposure im sure. we arent big germophobes, i dont think germs are necessarily a bad thing.

i think it's up to the parents to care for their children how the see fit. if they want to vax that's fine, just like im fine not vaxing. i personally will not put my child at risk to protect someone else's. working with the developmentally disabled ive seen the devastating effects of adverse vaccine reactions, i would never live with myself if i did that to one of my kids.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 17, Seth 10, Pandora Moonlilly 6 and Nevermore Stargazer 3, married to my awesome sahd artist husband of 7 years
KaleidoscopeEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:15 AM   #16
Angel89411
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
I don't really like the way the choices are written at all.

Obviously I am responsible for the health of my child.
but, I do feel strongly that communities need to work together to keep children and the masses as healthy as possible.

It takes a village to raise a child. And that includes health.

shoot.. the entire 'free lunch' program began to try and help out families who didn't have the means to provide proper nutrition. And I, for one, am happy that the community helps meet that need. Which affects the health of our kids. And our communities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfWife8405 View Post
I voted that I am responsible for the health of my child, BUT there are times where a little consideration is nice and that might fall under the "community" option.

If my child is sick, common cold or anything germy, I keep them home. I do not take them to the store and put them in a cart leaving their germs behind. We also do not have play dates at our home when someone is under the weather. So, I feel obligated as a member of my community to try to keep our germs to ourselves and not get anyone else sick.

It also really bothers me when people send their sick kids to school. I know sometimes parents have no option because they have to go to work but it still stinks when my child comes home with little Johnny's cold and now we all have it.

Ultimately, I do not rely on anyone else. I teach my kids to wash their hands, wipe down carts, use cart covers when I can, etc. If my child needs more than I can provide at home, I take them to the doctor BUT I do not just blindly trust the doctor either. Nobody cares as much for my child as DH & I do, so it is up to us to be their advocate.

What they said.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:29 AM   #17
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm responsible for my child's health.

BUT there needs to be a little bit of common sense and human decency in the general public and stay at home when you're sick. The fact that schools/day cares/work places have to TELL people "Stay at home if you have the flu." just boggles my mind...what kind of parent sends their kid to day care or school KNOWING they're miserable sick?! My kid getting exposed aside, that poor baby...when I'm sick I want to be in bed...
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:36 AM   #18
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
You cannot prevent disease. You can do stuff to lower your risk but even the person who does everything right can get sick.

I think you should have combined the parent, dr and pharmaceutical companies. I'm responsible for realizing my daughter wasnt functioning right, the dr is responsible for the dx and the pharm company is responsible for the Meds she needs.

ibotta with me and save money on groceries!
TalkinBoutMyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #19
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

I am responsible for my child. Period. Health, education, entertainment, in the end it is my responsibility because if something happens I am the one to deal with it in the end -- if the teacher does a bad job of teaching, my child will be the one to struggle later, not the teacher. If the dr. makes a wrong diagnosis, my child will be the one to go through the pain, not the dr. But -- because it is my responsibility, I also need to be able to accept advice from those who know a heck of a lot more than me. I trust that the pediatrician knows what she is talking about, therefore when we discuss (yes, we have had actual discussions) vaccines, I trust that the years and years that she has spent learning about these things actually mean that she knows what she is talking about. As others pointed out, it is not all or nothing -- just because I am ultimately responsible does not mean that I don't look to others for assitance.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #20
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am responsible for my child's health just as I am responsible for my own. I work very hard to make sure that my children are healthy. It bothers me a little bit that many parents don't seem to care too much about what their kids eat, and they just take anything that the doctor says at face value. Call me pessimistic or untrusting, but I just don't trust that so-called professionals, educated as they are by this largely corrupt world, will always have the best interests of my child at heart, or will know about how to keep my child healthy. The system that we live in is set up to treat symptoms, not to keep people healthy. If people were healthy, the entire economy would collapse because so many people would be out of jobs. So it takes a lot of work to see through the fog that is advice on healthy living and actually see what the closest thing to the truth is.
That said, I don't worry about my kids because of other people. Rather, I feel sorry for children who have many health problems, often due to the bad health advice that has been given to their parents. It seems like it's just standard these days for kids to have serious allergies, asthma, food aversions, excema, etc. I just don't think that it's normal for children to have so many health problems, and I go to a lot of effort in researching, shopping, and preparing food that is healthy so that I can keep my children as healthy as they can be in this polluted world.

And as for the pharmecutical companies...hahahaha. don't get me started. I trust them as far as I can throw them, and the last thing they want is for people to be healthy.

Last edited by songbird516; 06-28-2012 at 12:19 PM.
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote