Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
LnzsOut
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Please help me keep these boys busy!

I need some easy to put together indoor activity ideas for two 3-yr olds. My mil and grand-mil are coming to visit this weekend and they're bringing my 3 yr old nephew. We do have plans to go to the discovery center one day, but we're expecting temps to be in the 100s - way too hot to spend a lot of time outside. The boys fight over everything if they're stuck inside too long, so I need some fun (non-tv!) activities for them. Any thoughts?? Thanks

Advertisement

Old 06-28-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
A&W'smom
Registered Users

Re: Please help me keep these boys busy!

Making sock puppets, painting (they have paints that use only water and turn colors on paper so it's mess free), hiding bugs or animals around the house or in a room and having a "bug/animal hunt" and have them find them, similar to easter egg hunt. You could make a car rug using fabrics and they could play cars on that. You could have them help if it wouldn't create an argument, just have everything cut out and ready to glue. You could take them to the pool one day or set one up at your house. Legos are great. You could have them decorate cookies with frosting.
A&W'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
flintgirl
Registered Users

My Mood:
You could get some blue painters tape and place it all over the carpet like a road. Or make a river and have them jump over it.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
LnzsOut
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks, mamas!! I wish we had a pool nearby... dh picked up a slip n slide today - I know my ds will love it, not so sure about dn. The hunt is a great idea! DS has a hard time sitting for more than a couple of minutes with crafts/painting/coloring despite my efforts. I like the painters tape ideas, too! Keep 'em coming
Old 06-28-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

If you have a shallow storage tote (like one of those under-bed ones), you can fill it about halfway with beans, rice, packing peanuts, cornmeal (closest "indoor" consistency to sand, but if it gets on linoleum be warned that your floor will get really slippery and you'll have to mop afterwards, not just sweep...learned that one the hard way) and make an indoor "sand"box...spread a cheapy tablecloth underneath for easy cleanup, toss in a few cars, trucks, scoops, cups, etc for play.

My kids oobleck, but it can be kinda messy. You can see how to make it here
Old 06-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
LnzsOut
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashncakes View Post
If you have a shallow storage tote (like one of those under-bed ones), you can fill it about halfway with beans, rice, packing peanuts, cornmeal (closest "indoor" consistency to sand, but if it gets on linoleum be warned that your floor will get really slippery and you'll have to mop afterwards, not just sweep...learned that one the hard way) and make an indoor "sand"box...spread a cheapy tablecloth underneath for easy cleanup, toss in a few cars, trucks, scoops, cups, etc for play.

My kids oobleck, but it can be kinda messy. You can see how to make it here
I think I'd like to play in that!! Thanks
Old 06-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Check out the Play At Home Mom blog, there are TONS of activities, many of which you can do with stuff you already have around the house (or with stuff that is very cheap to purchase).

http://playathomemom3.blogspot.com/

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
cmarsh31
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you have shade (since you mentioned the slip-n-slide) - a small plastic pool (the $12 version at Target) and a couple sets of $1 water colors! Paint themselves paint lawn furniture, paint everything. We're on summer #2 of this being the most fun activity and whenever friends come over, they love it just as much.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:26 AM   #9
naomi's mama
Registered Users
seller

How about an indoor play gym, children's museum or science museum? bubble bath in tub w/ swim suits on? indoor tents? plato?
naomi's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:56 AM   #10
Bhavana
Registered Users

My Mood:

Water guns, gym balls