Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
khbordelon
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Possible move to Roanoke, VA: have questions.

DH is looking for a new job and a move to Roanoke, VA is one option.
I have a few questions for any mamas in that area.
What are the school districts like? Any good schools to look into (DS will be in Kindergarten in the fall)? Bad schools to avoid?
We are still debating about traditional school vs homeschooling. So I am wondering also about homeschooling groups/associations?
How is the cost of living? Would it be better to live IN Roanoke or somewhere else close?
Entertainment/activities for the family: zoos, museums, librairies?

Anything you'd like to tell me about the area would be awesome. I am leaning towards moving there but DH is still hesitant because we would be far from his family so anything to help us decide would be great.

TIA.

Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
greencarnation
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Possible move to Roanoke, VA: have questions.

Hey! I live in Staunton, so not super close, but I sometimes work in Roanoke. The Natural Bridge is not far from there, and they have a zoo. Hope that helps!
greencarnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
khbordelon
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencarnation View Post
Hey! I live in Staunton, so not super close, but I sometimes work in Roanoke. The Natural Bridge is not far from there, and they have a zoo. Hope that helps!
Thanks, mama. Every bit helps!
Old 03-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
NickiMM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am just now seeing this, but I live in Roanoke, VA. The cost of living is not too bad here. There are plenty of places to go as the city is very spread out. I suggest staying away from Melrose area and all of SE Roanoke as those are the "bad" areas. Best schools in the area are Cave Springs, Crystal Springs, and Fishburn school districts.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
LauraSue42
Registered Users
seller

I grew up in Roanoke and we'd still be there if our jobs allowed it. It's a FANTASTIC area to raise a family. It's the largest city in the area, so you get a lot of "bigger city" things (like a symphony, theatre, museums, etc) with a very small-town feel. The cost of living is low, especially compared to where we are now (DC area). Downtown Roanoke is mostly business, but the surrounding areas of Roanoke County are residential and great places to live. I grew up in the Cave Spring area, and the schools there are great. There are lots of other good areas, including Salem and Vinton. The libraries are good, there is a nice little zoo up on Mill Mountain and a science museum downtown. Lots of outdoor activities for families too, wonderful hiking and camping, farmers markets/farm stands. I'd recommend taking a short visit to see for yourself, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Hope things work out for you!
LauraSue42 is offline   Reply With Quote