Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

Anyone medicate their child for night wetting?

This is something we have been looking into for the past year. I don't want to do it, but DS (7 years old) is starting to get invited to more and more sleepovers that he has to turn down because of his wetting at night. He gets so sad when he can't go, but he doesn't want to run the risk of wetting the bed in front of his friends. (He wets so much that 80% of the time he will wet right through his night time pull up and soak the sheets.) Since it is starting to affect his self esteem, I am seriously considering changing my stance on the drugs. (I am not thrilled with how they work, but it crushes me to see DS so bothered by it.)

I was just looking for anyone who has personal experience in this area and hoping they would share their experience with me. We go to the doc in 2 weeks and I will talk about it with her then.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 06-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
emilykaysmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone medicate their child for night wetting?

My daughter is only 5 but was fully potty trained, even nights by like 3 1/2. She started having accidents again... I looked into it and came across a study that said constipation can cause night wetting.. And I spoke with our chiropractor who agreed and also said sometimes the sacral bones get out of whack and interfere with the bladder communicating with the brain which results in night wetting. He targeted those areas on my daughter and her night wetting has been greatly reduced. Maybe 3 accidents per month when we use to deal with 3+ a week. I just thought I would share our experience. Good luck with your son, I hope you can find something that works for him.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you brought it up to your doc before or will this be the first time? 7 or 8 is when they start to consider night wetting abnormal. He's still in the range but I would expect him to not be wetting so much and if its effecting his self esteem then I would really talk to the doc about options. My dd is getting ready to turn 5 and still wets. I know she is not ready yet, but she has drastically cut her output at night. Some nights she doesn't wet at all and others she fills her pull-ups. Its about 50/50 for her. I think we still have a ways to go, but the fact that she is dry some nights shows me we're moving in the right direction. Does he have any dry nights? Hopefully the doc can give you some options- she might send him for testing especially if he is showing no signs of dry nights. What kind of side effects does the med have?
Old 06-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
A little girl at our church did it. She lacks the hormone that slows urine production while sleeping. It helped her tremendously!
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilykaysmommy View Post
My daughter is only 5 but was fully potty trained, even nights by like 3 1/2. She started having accidents again... I looked into it and came across a study that said constipation can cause night wetting.. And I spoke with our chiropractor who agreed and also said sometimes the sacral bones get out of whack and interfere with the bladder communicating with the brain which results in night wetting. He targeted those areas on my daughter and her night wetting has been greatly reduced. Maybe 3 accidents per month when we use to deal with 3+ a week. I just thought I would share our experience. Good luck with your son, I hope you can find something that works for him.
I read that study and do plan on bringing it up with the doc to see what she says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
Have you brought it up to your doc before or will this be the first time? Does he have any dry nights? Hopefully the doc can give you some options- she might send him for testing especially if he is showing no signs of dry nights. What kind of side effects does the med have?
We've been talking about it with the doc since DS was 4 years old. Last year at his well visit, I asked how the medication worked and the doc explained it to me. It makes the kidneys retain urine, which is what I am uncomfortable with. He might have one dry night a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
A little girl at our church did it. She lacks the hormone that slows urine production while sleeping. It helped her tremendously!
It's good to know that medicine helped her. I am just at my wits end. We limit liquids, wake him up in the middle of the night and he still wets.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

have you tried the alarm? my DS' nephrologist wanted us to try the drugs when he was 8. I said absolutely not. However, my DS didn't care if people knew he needed pull-ups (or in your son's case waterproof pad?). He had friends who would go in the bathroom to sneak their "good nites" on (their moms would tell me), but he would just sleep in a pull up in front of his friends. I hope you find a solution that helps your son and that you are comfortable with
Old 06-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DH is a chiropractor and has had incredible success with kids who were wetting. One little boy was dry maybe once every 2 months, and stopped completely. Find a chiropractor who specializes in kids, www.icpa4kids.org will help you find one, and start charting him on the calendar. My nephew also suffered from it and the only thing that worked for him was the alarm.
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I suggest the alarm. I have seen it work many times. Also, last months costco mag. had an article. The doctor who wrote it said that most children do not fully empty their bladders. He said to have your child do several grunts before they finish. Also most wetting takes place in the first part of the night. Several hours after your child has gone to bed, walk them to the bathroom to go. Again, have them do the grunts to make sure the bladder is empty.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #9
the_oz_girl
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'll second looking into constipation and chiropractic care. DS1 has issues if he's even the slightest bit backed up and always has. DH has issues as well, even into adulthood, about once a year or so and we've been able to trace it back to constipation also. Chiropractic care has done tremendous things for both of them in getting their digestion into a normal rhythm and avoiding accidents. It is well worth the trial before messing with hormones and major organs like kidneys.
the_oz_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #10
TrishB
Registered Users
seller

My mother was very hesitant when I was a child and because of that, I never felt comfortable sleeping at anyone else's house. It really hindered my social life until I asked my doctor myself at 16 years old. The medication was great! I was on it for a few years and now I am fine. There were no ill side effects that I know of. My sister is considering putting her almost 8 year old on it now, too. I would not hesitate to give it to my daughter at 7 years old if she has the same problem I did.
TrishB is offline   Reply With Quote