Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
blackberry75
Registered Users

Oh crud, my poor daughter

I have three boys-that I can handle. No need to teach them fashion or hair/makeup, which is good because I've no sense for those things whatsoever. Now my Bean is only 3m, but there will come a day when she may ask me how to put on eyeshadow or which skirt to wear w/ "this" top. WTH am I gonna do?!! I only know how to put makeup on in theory, it never really looks that good when I do it. Hopefully she'll be a tomboy. Having a girl is already proving more challenging than I thought. She's gotta be the only girl in my friends group wearing plain t-shirts and jeans.

Advertisement

blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #2
Angel89411
Banned

Re: Oh crud, my poor daughter

She has 3 brothers. My bet will be tom boy. If not, hit a full service spa one day where they do make-up and ask them to show her how. As for fashion? Yeah...I'd be screwed.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
ofthemoonsglow
Registered Users
Formely: Mia**da
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberry75 View Post
I have three boys-that I can handle. No need to teach them fashion or hair/makeup, which is good because I've no sense for those things whatsoever. Now my Bean is only 3m, but there will come a day when she may ask me how to put on eyeshadow or which skirt to wear w/ "this" top. WTH am I gonna do?!! I only know how to put makeup on in theory, it never really looks that good when I do it. Hopefully she'll be a tomboy. Having a girl is already proving more challenging than I thought. She's gotta be the only girl in my friends group wearing plain t-shirts and jeans.
I"ve got a almost 1 year old daughter.... and I always was and am a tomboy. I can somewhat put on make up but if i try for more then mascara i end up looking like a clown. I'm hoping my daughter is a tomboy too. Otherwise i have no idea what i'll do!
Old 06-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

I plan to let my sister handle that. She's the fashionista girly girl, and has no kids of her own, so I'm sure she'd love to take one of my girls in hand.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:34 PM   #5
pcjs
Registered Users

That's what google and all the websites/videos are for. If I can learn boy, you can learn girl!
Old 06-28-2012, 10:51 PM   #6
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I am very much a tom boy, always was. I really have never worn make-up (little bit of cover-up in high school and the rare nail polish). My mom, aunt, and sister do stuff with my girls. My 11 yr old is not super interested at the point, but she does like having her nails done. As far as make-up goes, I don't know. I don't know if she'll really be interested in it. A lot of the interest goes with the way the mom is, I think. The girls that I have known that cared a lot about make-up are the ones typically that have moms that wear it. My mom never really wore it, and my sister and I never really have, either. My aunt, on the other hand, I don't think will check the mail without make-up on, and both her girls wear it just about everyday.

And I am certainly not trying to start a debate on whether make-up is or is not okay. Just stating that the level of interest a young girl shows seems to be tied up quite a bit in what her mom does.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:55 AM   #7
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't worry about it. She'll learn it from her friends. And from the Bratz dolls.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:38 AM   #8
Mac & Cheeses mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I agree with above poster. I learned from friends...(not always a good thing). Also I have a best friend who has more girly in her than I do so I will have her teach my girls when they want I know. As for Tom Boy, DD1 showed signs early on of she was, DD2 is all girl so I think it depends on the girls personality.

DD2 likes her ties done at 1y soo yeah I'm in trouble here with her.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 06-29-2012, 05:50 AM   #9
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Somethings just come. I could NEVER do hair. Not even a simple braid and yet now I can french braid their har. And, they seem to develop their own sense of style. Just yesterday my 4 year old came down stairs in a short, but full dress with tall boots. It was a dress that she had outgrown that was in the back of her closet and the boots were her older sisters old brown boots that she had outgrown that were in the back of her closet. Thankfully we were only going to the pool for swim team practice.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:02 AM   #10
magoose
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs View Post
That's what google and all the websites/videos are for. If I can learn boy, you can learn girl!
Youtube has tons of videos about how to do hair. I learned from my friends and from magazines when I was a teen. My mom never taught me how to put on makeup or do my hair.