Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
USNwifey03
Registered Users

My Mood:
Question for moms of twins...

What are the main items you were so glad you had or wished you had when you brought you twins home? Hubby and I are expecting twin girls in October and they will be our first children. Hubby is also military and he may not be able to be here when they are born. Because of this, any suggestions of what is awesome to have around to make life easier would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ladies!

Advertisement

USNwifey03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question for moms of twins...

EZ 2 Nurse Twin Nursing pillow. A must have, IMO, for nursing twins. I didn't get it till my first set was about 8wks old. I wish I'd had it right away and was very happy to have it right from the start with set number 2. Congrats!!
Old 07-07-2012, 02:54 AM   #3
Wanderlust
Registered Users
Formerly: jen**eth
seller

-good double electric pump. I got it last minute, thinking I'd feed at the breast. Didn't work out, but I was glad I didn't have to run out to buy a pump since it was there. I pumped for 12 months. Even if you do feed at breast, it would be nice to have a little stash so dad or helpers can help feed babies.

-Baby stations- on each floor. So downstairs and upstairs, I had a changing table, diapers, clothes, wipes, etc. This helped cut down on trips up and down since I could take care of baby needs on whatever floor I was on.

If your husband is deployed or on a long TDY, check with your family center. There should be some programs to help you out, like CDC drop in credits, home nurse visits, respite care, etc.

ETA: Even if your DH is there for the birth, Family Support may still have home nurse visits available. Here, they came and helped with breastfeeding, schedules, checking with development. And they're free!

Last edited by Wanderlust; 07-07-2012 at 02:57 AM.
Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:58 AM   #4
1sttimemommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Fisher price rock n play sleepers! two of them!! I didn't get these until my girls were a month old because I already had 2 bouncy seats and 2 swings... yeah well the twins hated both bouncies and swings! The LOVED the RNP's to the point that they slept and hung out in them exclusively until they were close to 5 mths old. They were a LIFESAVER!

Quick access to photo and video cameras so you don't miss anything. I have millions of pictures of my son as an infant, not many of the girls, mostly because I was too tired to remember to get the camera when I was up. If it had been w/in easy reach I could have taken so many more!

Also, if you DH won't be there for delivery I'd suggest looking into operationspecialdelivery.com It's a free service for military wives whose H's won't be available due to military service that provides a free doula for you for delivery. I don't know if there are any in your area but it's worth looking into!

The second thing I would recommend is lining up help! Whether ir's a family member, other military wives or a paid post partum doula make arrangements to have help at least for the first 2 weeks or so. Longer if you can get it! You don't want to be trying to do all of those double feedings on your own 24/7 if you can avoid it.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
Belle1002
Registered Users

My Mood:
My Moby wrap was a lifesaver- used for kangaroo care to help them regulate and grow, but also provided hands-free time to do laundry/cook/etc.
Changing table in the living room- it might look odd but you change them where you spend the most time, and it's crazy to try to run up/down every time you need to change a diaper.
Mixing pitcher (if using formula)- mine are adopted, so BF was not an option. The pitcher allowed me to make several bottles at a time and really cut down on the foam. And if FF, enough bottles to get you through most of the day so you're not constantly washing.
Healthy snacks for you- the days will fly by and I often forgot to take time to make myself a real meal!
Friends/family who are willing to run to the store or help with cleaning/cooking. Most people offer to help with the babies but I did not want to leave them while they were so little. And as PP mentioned, check into military resources. The support network will be so helpful if DH is away.
Oh, a safe place to put the babies while you get a shower! Whether it's the crib, swing, bouncer, whatever- getting a shower each day was the one thing that kept me feeling like I had things under control.
Best wishes mama!

Loving life with our very energetic 2 year old b/g twins!
Belle1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:42 AM   #6
Amanda+2
Registered Users
seller
seller

I second or third the changing tables on each floor, or where ever you spend most of your time.

Lots of lots of burp cloths, my two slept in the same cot for a long time, so I put flannel cloths under their heads so if they did vomit etc I only had to take off 1 or 2 cloths rather than change the whole crib.

Lots of lots of onsies or rompers, don't bother with dressing them for a few months, nor do they really need changing from day to night unless their onsies are really dirty. Cut down on the little things.

I didnt buy two of anything, my two were really different and one liked the bouncer one didnt etc. so from my point of view I wouldnt bother getting two of everything until the babies are home.
Amanda+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:36 AM   #7
USNwifey03
Registered Users

My Mood:

Great advice ladies! I didn't know about the sight for doula's for military. Also good to know about the two different changing stations. I was thinking about doing that, since we live in a two story house, and now I will definitely have two. Any other advice or insight you may have will be greatly appreciated.
USNwifey03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #8
psylion
Registered Users
seller

I keep hearing about those rock n plays from twin moms. I'm definitely going to have to check them out. Thanks for all the other ideas too.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 07-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #9
jessicalynn0826
Registered Users
seller

We used a rock and play for the first few months. Both girls fit in it together for 2 months or so, they were so cute and snuggly.

Itzbeen timers. 1 for each baby in different colors, a total life saver especially if you'll be alone at times. You'll sometimes forget who you fed or changed.

Formula pitcher if you're formula feeding.

I'm an Independent Scentsy Consultant. PM me for specials
http://jwaters.scentsy.us
jessicalynn0826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #10
QMtwins
Registered Users

I would say whatever you get, just get it earlier than you think. At 32 weeks, I was on home bed rest and then at 34 weeks in hospital. The babies' room was not done. DH took photos as sister and friends worked on it for me. We didn't have any diapers that were small enough...not sure what I was thinking.
Also, good to have someone who you can send grocery shopping...friends, family...whomever. My dad tried to do it for us and was more stressful than helpful because he kept asking what brand or what size of something. Really, I just wanted lots of snack type/eat anytime things and stuff for sandwiches. Since I hadn't been there for more than 2 weeks, I really had no idea what was even in the fridge. Its worth having a pre-made list for when someone calls and asks if they can pick you something up.
QMtwins is offline   Reply With Quote