Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-29-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
magdalynaa
Registered Users
seller

Confused about these symptoms

Geez, just when I think I have my LO figured out...

LO is 6 weeks old today. She is BF, but since I work, she takes BM in a bottle also. I'm concerned that she has a milk sensitivity. So many of her symptoms look allergy-related BUT some also seem completely normal for NB's, so I'm totally confused. DH is lactose intolerant, if that matters. He has another daughter who is also lactose intolerant.

I've cut down on dairy a lot in the last few days, and I think these symptoms have gotten better. I know I will need to cut it out completely for a few weeks to make sure.

Here are the symptoms that stand out to me:

*She has been very gassy since about 2-3 weeks old. Gripe water hasn't helped much. Since I cut down on the dairy, I haven't noticed as much gas. But I know NB gassiness is also totally expected, so I don't know what to think about this.

*She has a red ring only around her anus, which I read was a classic sign of an allergy. This one seems the most likely to be caused by an allergy to me. There are a few spots on that ring that look really red and irritated. There is no rash anywhere else on her bottom. I tried CJ's butter and Aveeno, and neither of them helped to my satisfaction. CJ's helped the overall red ring (it wasn't as red or inflamed), but those very red spots didn't really go away. If it IS an allergy, is there anything I can put on it in the meantime to ease the inflammation? Or do I just have to wait it out? It looks so painful.

*She has had some skin irritation on her face, but I assumed it was normal baby acne. She doesn't have a rash or irritation anywhere else on her body except the red ring on her tushy. It comes and goes. Right now, the bumps have gone down, and her skin is barely red. Is this baby acne or ezcema caused by an allergy? I'm attaching a pic.

*My mom thinks her poops are diarrhea. I think they're normal runny BF poops. She poops at almost every feeding. They're yellow, and there is no blood or mucous in them.

She has only vomited 1 or 2 times since she was born, and she doesn't spit up frequently.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	110829  

Advertisement

Last edited by magdalynaa; 06-29-2012 at 09:37 AM.
magdalynaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
magdalynaa
Registered Users
seller

Re: Confused about these symptoms

Forgot to add... I had guessed it was a milk allergy because I know that's common in babies, and because I eat so much dairy. It's not uncommon for me to eat at least one serving with every meal everyday. I have hypogycemia and eat every 3 hours, so we're talking about a LOT of dairy here.
magdalynaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:59 AM   #3
Leaner
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Confused about these symptoms

Her face looks like normal baby acne to me. As for gassiness and the red ring, I don't know. Mine have all been gassy but no allergies around here.
Leaner is offline   Reply With Quote