Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-01-2012, 08:27 AM   #1
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Potty training question re: lil potties

Ok, first. I know a lot of people have success with PTing w/o using lil potties. we did not. However, we did use a frog potty to get DS potty trained. Hes done awesome and when we go out (mall, restaurant, etc) he will use a regular toilet. But at home, he wants his "lil potty". Its shaped like a frog and he is kind of big and it splashes pee onto the floor. Id like to get him to use our regular toilet but I dont want to pressure him and have him rebel bc he is only 2.5yrs old and he has done awesome. Very rarely has a day accident and doesnt really need a pull up for nap anymore either.

He has zero interest in stickers but Im thinking maybe stamps? Or should I just let him do it on his own time and keep the frog?

Also, I should add, our "method" for pt'ing in general...was to just get rid of all of his diapers. I hid them and told him there were no more for him. I let him pick out his own underwear. This worked well and didnt seem to stress him out. He liked undies bc tbh his cloth dipes were so bulky (due to needing more absorbancy) that he seemed to happily welcome the change. But IDK if it is "fair" to just get rid of the frog.

Advertisement

Old 07-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #2
pinky74
Registered Users
seller
seller

They make "targets" for boys to aim at. Since he is a boy, that may make it fun to switch to a big potty.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #3
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Potty training question re: lil potties

Both my boys had this problem, too. I just taught them to hold their boy parts down so the pee goes straight down into the potty. Almost never has any splash issues that way (and keeps pants dry if they sit down to poop).

If you want to get him to use the toilet, try teaching him to stand up. My boys couldn't wait to stand up like Daddy! My little one also loves to go pee right after I clean the toilet - likes to see the blue cleaner in the water turn green when he goes. When he's being stubborn, adding a couple of drops of food coloring work great. Or a target, as pp suggested - mine likes to pee on a Goldfish cracker. My nephews always wanted to try to sink Cheerios.

As long as you market using the big toilet as something "cool" and don't push it, rebellion shouldn't be a problem.
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
reneaumommy
Registered Users
seller

I let me son use the frog (we had the same one) until he was ready to go on the big one. I'd give him a few months with the frog then try again for the big potty.
reneaumommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

If the only problem with the frog potty is splashing on the floor, then fold an old towel in half and put it under the frog potty.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
ArronDalesMama
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan
If the only problem with the frog potty is splashing on the floor, then fold an old towel in half and put it under the frog potty.
That is what we did except I made a "puppy pad" type thing. I did 3 layers of flannel and then a layer of PUL on the bottom. Made a square. that way it was waterproof incase it got overly soaked. We called it his potty pad. Worked great. (We use them for puppy pads now)
ArronDalesMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArronDalesMama View Post
That is what we did except I made a "puppy pad" type thing. I did 3 layers of flannel and then a layer of PUL on the bottom. Made a square. that way it was waterproof incase it got overly soaked. We called it his potty pad. Worked great. (We use them for puppy pads now)
I'm impressed! OP, maybe you should have this mama make one for you.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #8
ArronDalesMama
Registered Users

Quote:

I'm impressed! OP, maybe you should have this mama make one for you.
Ayone could make them, all you need to know is how to sew a straight line. I quilted it so it wouldn't pucker in the wash. Sew the flanel together (I did some diamond pattern to "quilt it") then make the PUL a little bigger than the flannel and fold the edges over and sew it on. Easy.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #9
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArronDalesMama View Post
Ayone could make them, all you need to know is how to sew a straight line. I quilted it so it wouldn't pucker in the wash. Sew the flanel together (I did some diamond pattern to "quilt it") then make the PUL a little bigger than the flannel and fold the edges over and sew it on. Easy.
It's not the difficulty standing in my way, it's my own laziness. Oh, and lack of PUL.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #10
ArronDalesMama
Registered Users

Quote:

It's not the difficulty standing in my way, it's my own laziness. Oh, and lack of PUL.
Yeah I understand the laziness I have 3 waiting for the backing and I just don't "get to it". I just used PUL from joanns.