Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-29-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
Dani_Phen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
New to this...when should I be concerned about DS temperature?

Hey Mamas. My DS will be one next weekend. He was not quite acting like himself all afternoon but was still fairly active and happy...just extra cuddly. He felt warm but I thought it was just because of it being 100 degrees out (heat index of 114). I had the a/c on in our home so it wasn't hot in here but it wasn't cold either. I had the a/c set on 72.
I went in to check on him this evening before DH and I went to bed and he was laying there with his eyes slightly open and I could see that his face was red even with the lights off. I felt him and he was warmer than he was this evening when I put him to bed and his diaper was wet. I changed him and checked his temp and it is 100.5. It looks like he might have thrown up the milk he had before bed. He wanted some more milk so I got him a cup and called my parents to see what they think and they said that tylenol should be ok and if he's still like that tomorrow or if his temp goes up to put him in a tepid bath and if it still doesn't go down or he gets worse to take him to the Dr (of course). He wanted me to hold him for a bit so I did and he cuddled with DH and I put him back in bed. He went back to sleep right away but I am concerned. How high of a temp should I let him reach before I take him to the Dr? He's my first and is almost always in good health apart from slight colds here and there. I'm thinking he might be getting more teeth in (has 4-6 I've been seeing toward the back that haven't made it the whole way through yet.) Could it be from the teething?

Advertisement

Old 06-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: New to this...when should I be concerned about DS temperature?

Sounds like teething to me. I'd do exactly what you did. My doc has us call at 102 on tylenol and motrin, and go in to the ER if you can't get 104 down with both tylenol and motrin. However, it is free to call, so if you are uncomfortable, you can always call the on-call doc and get the official word.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 06-29-2012 at 09:42 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
lilly12
Registered Users
seller

Hey I wouldn't be worried about that temp! Could be just teething or a little bug.
Just let your LO rest a lot.
Personally I don't give my DD anything for it, unless she's clearly miserable.
I do this because this way the fever can do its job, a fever is really not as scary as it seems.
A fever raises the body temp so the body gets hot & the infection/bacteria will not survive.
A fever has a purpose

Just watch your LO carefully , rest & keep hydrated!

Now if it goes over 102 , I'd just try Tylenol and if that doesn't bring it down try a lukewarm bath.If its still not going down, call a doc!

Last edited by lilly12; 06-29-2012 at 09:46 PM.
lilly12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #4
Dani_Phen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's what I'm leaning toward. He's getting some back teeth in. He got all the front ones early 4-6 months and I can feel 4 on the sides and the back I can feel some swelling. Typically his cheeks get bright red in the center only and he gets the scoots for a day or so. He just looks miserable to me though so I wasn't sure if it's the teeth again or not. He's only been sick once with a virus and it was a 24 hr deal with no fever so this is a first!
Old 06-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #5
Dani_Phen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilly12 View Post
Hey I wouldn't be worried about that temp! Could be just teething or a little bug.
Just let your LO rest a lot.
Personally I don't give my DD anything for it, unless she's clearly miserable.
I do this because this way the fever can do its job, a fever is really not as scary as it seems.
A fever raises the body temp so the body gets hot & the infection/bacteria will not survive.
A fever has a purpose

Just watch your LO carefully , rest & keep hydrated!

Now if it goes over 102 , I'd just try Tylenol and if that doesn't bring it down try a lukewarm bath.If its still not going down, call a doc!
Thanks. We have a full day planned tomorrow at my in laws farm with no a/c. I'm thinking about trying to get DH to stay home. If he still wants to go, I'm going to let him go and stay home with DS. If he's feeling rough I refuse to go. It's to reach 98+ tomorrow and if he's not feeling well, I don't want to make him more uncomfortable.