Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-30-2012, 06:49 AM   #11
Mamata3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by holly6737
DDC: Maybe he's joking...... OTOH, I've known several Julians....
That's what I keep hoping, I just want him to sa J/K but he is not. And I said ok to Julian but he wants Julius!

Advertisement

Old 06-30-2012, 06:53 AM   #12
nebraskamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: DH baby name choices make me depressed.

When are you due? Maybe this will pass before the baby arrives. Titus I do like and have known a kid by.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:55 AM   #13
momofdestructobaby
Registered Users
seller

I knew a Maximus (who WAS named after some movie) but everyone called him Max.
momofdestructobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:22 AM   #14
mommy2sammy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Oh, wow, so sorry. BTDT in a different way. DH wanted names from his culture, but our children will only ever live in the us, not there. I caved on ds's name. Its horrible. My biggest regret. He does have a good middle name that we use, and I refuse to use the first name for anything. Even the ped doesn't know it. Stay strong! For dd we compromised and used a name that was familiar to both cultures and dh got sole pick of the
Middle name with no input from me. I didn't care about the middle name, since no one will use it on a daily basis.
With ds I'm worried about when he goes to school. The teacher is most likely going to call this weird name on the first day, and ds doesn't even know his first name.
And MY mom told dh to do what he thinks he needs to with naming his son! Thanks mom for having my back...

Maybe your dh will be more reasonable if you bring up the school issue and kids picking on him for having such an unconventional name?
Old 06-30-2012, 08:17 AM   #15
pharmmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Some of the names are reasonable enough... but Crixus?!? WTH! This is a situation where some compromise needs to be made I think. As far as I'm concerned, if you are going to be willing to pick from his list, then anything he put on it is fair game. If he really didn't like it, then he shouldn't have put it on there, and you're free to choose. You should also be able to pick a variation of a name on the list. For example, let's say it was a girls name list and he put Apple on it (sorry Gwyneth Paltrow, it's never going to grow on me), what about Gala or something else related instead?

If my DH handed me that list I would have told him that Rome has been dead a long time and I'm not birthing a Centurion. If you have to, put your foot down. Don't let him saddle your child with something like that. They will thank you for it. But do keep the list for posterity. I kept the lists that we made for DD and DS for their baby books so they can see the lists later.
Pharmacist, wife to a nerdy chemist, and proud mama to Leta (12/2006), Derek (4/2009) and Viola (7/2012). Now if only I could figure out a way to quit my job and still pay my student loans all would be well with the world.
pharmmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:55 AM   #16
GreenHome Sewing
Registered Users
Formerly: Jonah Baby
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamata3 View Post
I told him and he has seen me cry about it a few times but just says its not worth crying over.
Turd!

I would "accidentally" lose the list.
Maybe buy a few baby name books, nonchalantly leave them on the coffee table...

Seems like he is choosing uber Manly and Strong names. While I like Julian, I don't feel the others have too much place in today's world, if that makes sense. Maybe you could find a few manly/strong names you like and suggest them? Going his style may make them appealing.
Or maybe not being Team Green. 50% chance that would solve the problem, hehe.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #17
Arabesque
Registered Users

My Mood:
DDC: what about Marcus? Totally normal, but satisfies his need to end the name in -us.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #18
MinkaK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Not my style either If Julian is really okay with you, I would point out it is on 'the list' and you agree to it. Shouldn't have put it on there if he didn't really like it.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #19
jamieism
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We have a neighbor boy named Cyrus and I like it. I also like max, so I might agree to Max if we could call him Max. Same with Julius but calling him Jules.

But that's me. Sorry mama!
Old 06-30-2012, 11:09 AM   #20
jackkant
Registered Users

My Mood:

Dionysus? Dionysus? Really? Does he know who Dionysus is?

...yeah. Hopefully he'll come around by the time you have the baby. IMO, Julian isn't bad, neither is Roman or Alistair, but I can totally see not liking them.

And him saying it's not worth crying over is stupid -- it's going to be your child's name, that they will have to live with.

My blog, The Weekly What-What?! updates on Sundays and Thursdays.

EZ Squeezees Reusable Baby Food Pouch Product Review and Recipe
-- Children's Farm Books -- Children's Steampunk Picture Books
jackkant is offline   Reply With Quote