Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #21
MrsAsh
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: DH baby name choices make me depressed.

My DH's list was "Josh", "Bob", and "Bryan". His reason was wanting a "normal" name....Bob the Baby? Normal? I think not. I'd pick Titus form that list, I really like it!

Advertisement

Old 06-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #22
remrath
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamata3 View Post
I told him and he has seen me cry about it a few times but just says its not worth crying over.
WTH!!! Your child will carry this name forever and it's not worth crying over?!?!? Will he take one of these for a middle name and you can find a less Roman name for the first name? We generally pair our "unique" names with a slightly less so one so if our dear children aren't inclined to use it when they get older they have an option. It's kind of cool to have a bizarre middle name that's not used, very few people will even know it. but the name you're called by.... I'm just imaging calling a few of those names out into the street for dinner
Wife to Nick, 10 years now. Mom to Lydia (c/s) 6/6/07, Arwen (HBAC) 6/3/09, Silas (HBAC) 7/2/12 and Archer HBAC 10/15/14. Jesus loving, CDing, BFing, non vaxing , homeschooling SAHM who loves my new community is Spring Hill, TN
remrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #23
momofdestructobaby
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2sammy View Post
Oh, wow, so sorry. BTDT in a different way. DH wanted names from his culture, but our children will only ever live in the us, not there. I caved on ds's name. Its horrible. My biggest regret. He does have a good middle name that we use, and I refuse to use the first name for anything. Even the ped doesn't know it. Stay strong! For dd we compromised and used a name that was familiar to both cultures and dh got sole pick of the
Middle name with no input from me. I didn't care about the middle name, since no one will use it on a daily basis.
With ds I'm worried about when he goes to school. The teacher is most likely going to call this weird name on the first day, and ds doesn't even know his first name.
And MY mom told dh to do what he thinks he needs to with naming his son! Thanks mom for having my back...

Maybe your dh will be more reasonable if you bring up the school issue and kids picking on him for having such an unconventional name?
I am desperate to know the name now
momofdestructobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #24
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

That list makes me want to cry with you... Crixus?!?! For real?!? Jeez.

I would hold out on naming the baby for as long as you need to so that your son doesn't get saddled with Dionysius or Draco...
Old 06-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #25
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofdestructobaby View Post
I am desperate to know the name now
Me too!

DH wants cultural names and I've agreed but I told him I won't agree with anything too odd, hard to say, or anything that will get our child teased.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #26
momofdestructobaby
Registered Users
seller

If it makes you feel any better, my cousin gave her kids cultural names. I am not sure of the spelling but when pronounced, one sounds just like

Ocean (boy)

and the other is pronounced

Fee-ock (boy)

You can imagine that there might be some mispronunciation and teasing as a result
momofdestructobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #27
jamieism
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I think Dionysus isn't that uncommon. It's Greek.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #28
reithegenki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Cyrus is a pretty normal name. Maximus can be shortened to Max easily. It's better than naming your kid some made up word like Navaeh or Renesme. That said, that's MY opinion not yours. He needs to compromise with you. If you don't like those names then he needs to find new ones. He is being really insensitive and selfish. Ask him how he would feel if you made a list with the names "Bob, John, Steve, and Tom" and then told him that he HAD to pick from that list and its not worth being upset about.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Life is good.
reithegenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #29
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

gosh, i know a roman, julius and a drake. most of those names look fine to me...but that's me, not you, so if you don't like any of them...look for a compromise?

sry DDC, I thought it was in reg pregnancy board :/

Last edited by bluedaisyma; 06-30-2012 at 04:10 PM.
bluedaisyma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #30
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ignatius is not a common name but it means "fiery"! I love that name because it can be made into Iggy or Nate (though with the last people might think he is Nathan or Jonathan). Just to tell you that there is one more name on that list that doesn't sound to strange to at least on person out there. In fact, it is a common name in our family - but then again, my culture isn't the same as yours.