Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #111
dncegrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: any restrictions/rules for kids' clothing?

I have boys.

-Shirts need to be long enough that when ds raises his arms above his head, the shirt still covers him.
-Pants cannot be too long, if I havent had a chance to hem them then roll the cuff or not wear them.
-Sandals are only worn around the house or when we go to the lake/pool. Cannot be worn when we go out to places. (This is more for safety)
-I will let my sons grow out their hair, when they get old enough to take care of it
-Piercings and Tattos will be allowed-for piercings about high school and tattoos when they are legally able to get them by themselves

I dont feel I have too many rules for clothing. A lot of my rules will be about behavior and things they will be able to do.

Advertisement

dncegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #112
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not much in the way of rules here. When around the house they can wear pretty muh waht they want. But i do like them out of their pjs, because i don't want to wash dirty pjs every day. My kids are 4, 2 and 8 months. When we go out we have allowed them to wear crazy things like dress-up outfits, but it depends what we are doing. It has to be practical, for eg, I wouldn't let them wear a fairy dress to the playground, or something that is a large suit when it is very warm out.

Spaghetti straps, short skirts etc do not faze me. I hate anything with writing on it, or characters. I allow two piece swimmers as long as they are not 'sexy' looking. e.g. no triangle bikini and preferably boy-style bottoms.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #113
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLovely View Post
The military is WHY we're so anti-short-hair on guys. Growing up (army brat), I thought all the guys looked exactly the same and it freaked me out My dad retired once I graduated high school, immediately grew his hair out and it's still long all these years later. I think growing up around all the "daddy clones" gave me some sort of pavlovian issue, IDK what I'll do if my boys want short hair!
Is this at all like my weird issue about my hair being long? I swear my hair can't ever grow past my ears because my mother would never let me cut it. She forced me to wear it long my entire childhood. I could sit on my hair and I hated it. She would let me wear whatever I wanted and I dressed like a boy, she didn't care, but my hair had to be worn long. I HATED my hair. For some reason though I rebelled about everything else I never did anything to my hair until I was 17. I hit 17 and it just clicked that I could get rid of my hair. I marched into the bathroom, tied it up in a ponytail and cut it off with scissors. Then I pulled out the clippers I used to shave the underside of my brother's hair and shaved all but the bangs off and gave myself an Oi. I have not had long hair since.

My boys can wear their hair however they want. Kearnan's is long and he really prefers it that way. I think he would let it get so long he could sit on it and be perfectly happy. Tharen has had long hair, short hair (I didn't love the neat and trim cut, freaked me out), mohawk and an Oi. Right now he is growing it long again. My biggest hang up is that they be allowed to do pretty much whatever they want with their hair so long as they keep it clean and maintained. I will not have them hating their hair like I did.

I am not too hung up on clothes and rules about them. I do have boys so that may be part of the reason. Mostly we do jeans and T-shirts around here. We live in TX and it is hot most of the year. As soon as the boys show any interest in picking their own clothing I let them (within reason). My only hard fast rules are no offensive sayings and there are certain characters I will not allow in the house (Sponge Bob). My boys are pretty geeky so we have Lego Star Wars and Hello Kitty for Tharen, Old school Star Wars and Kingdom Hearts for Kearnan. Tharen actually is attempting to amass the largest Tye Dye collection in the world right now. Every time we go to a Thrift Store he combs the isles for more Tye Dye (I look for him when I go without him). He has enough to wear a different shirt every day of the week. Other than that he has a few skate boarding shirts, a shirt our TKD Sensei brought him from Hawaii for his Birthday (he is also a pilot) and just normal jeans and jean shorts. Kearnan has pretty typical little boy T-shirts, mostly Kingdom Hearts (his obsession), a glow in the dark Buddha, Lego Harry Potter, Star Wars and some Anime shirts. Plus some shirts with penguins on them that he found at the thrift store. He has a penguin obsession. Then he has jeans and jean shorts. Both boys have strong opinions about shirt preferences and Tharen prefers jeans to shorts (I make him wear shorts on Roller Derby days so his pads fit better) but other than that they don't care about what is "in style" they have their own style. I did have to tell Tharen he couldn't wear long sleeves when it was 100+ outside. I make them wear rash guard shirts with their trunks because they are pale skinned and Tharen tends to get rashes with sunblock so it is easier.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:19 PM   #114
omgoodgravy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I will start with I am plain, not like Amish plain but pretty close. I like denim and khaki with a colored shirt. It has taken a lot for me to break out of my mold for my children but I still have rules! I have rules so they know what is appropriate for places, events, and outings. If there were no rules they could end up being the crazy person at a wedding and we have enough other crazy to allow clothing to be the reason we are crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashncakes View Post

My kids always wear no-show socks with sneakers, but that's just because I hate how socks look peeking out of shoes.
I am the opposite I prefer ankle socks because I think it is gross to wear no socks with sneakers and with no show socks it makes me think there are no socks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiemama View Post

WHAT DOES EVERYONE THING OF THIS RULE: When she's older, no shorts/skirts above the knee.
I had this rule till DD1 started to grow. I cannot find a skirt, pants or pair of shorts that fits her in the waist to then fit her properly in the leg. Jeans I could care less if they are long because she will grow, but I would prefer a longer short...NOPE not even close to her knee. She has long legs so I teach her that you can wear a shorter skirt or short but still conduct yourself as a lady, clothes do not make your person! I also have a no words on the butt rule because why do I want you to look at my kids butt??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
The 3 B's: Butts, Boobs, and Belly. If I can see any of those 3 B's when you Bend over, it's not allowed. For girls and boys.
This will be our mantra someday I am sure!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfWife8405 View Post
Hmm, I never really thought about hair too much. What made you decide shoulder length for girls?

I do not care for long hair on boys, whenever it starts touching their ears I start to twitch, lol. DS1 has thick coarse hair, so I can keep his pretty short (#2 o 3 on the clippers,) but DS2 has thin fine red hair so I keep it slightly longer (#4) to help protect his scalp. With DS1 I pull out the clippers when his hair touches his ears, but with DS2 I just pull out the scissors.

DD took forever to grow out her hair. It is just now getting to be shoulder length. She has bangs which helps keep hair from getting in her face (I hate that) but I am not sure how much longer I will let it grow. I like the look of long hair but when it comes to tangles its not so practical.
I prefer long hair on girls and short hair on boys. I cannot stand that surfer hair...AAAAHHHHHH!!!! Give me some scissors!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dncegrl View Post
I have boys.

-Shirts need to be long enough that when ds raises his arms above his head, the shirt still covers him.

-Piercings and Tattos will be allowed-for piercings about high school and tattoos when they are legally able to get them by themselves

I dont feel I have too many rules for clothing. A lot of my rules will be about behavior and things they will be able to do.
Someone else mentioned the lifting the arms above the head also and for DS it could probably work they make boys and male shirts longer. For DD1 it would never work. She is long legged and long torso. I am lucky to find shirts that come just below her her waist band. With being tall and thin if I buy the next size up it wont fit in the shoulders and looks messy which is just as bad in my mind. I did find that American Eagle had a collared shirt (LOVE a collared shirt) that was XXS and long for a period of time (I founf them at our local Goodwill) and they fit DD great! but are hard to find now.
Same goes for bathing suits I would prefer a one piece but with the crazy long torso she need a 2 piece. The rash gard for her size comes mid torso. Poor kid!
omgoodgravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #115
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunch!910
NO rompers passed 1 year of age - I prefer tshirt/shorts by then. I just think when I see 2 and 3 year old boys wearing those, plus long hair that obviously needs cut, that parents need to learn to let their children grow up.
Aww, my son is just about a year and he'll be wearing rompers this year AND next year! They are babies til 3 in my estimation. And whereas my daughter had many spoken words by her first birthday, my son still babbles and points. He doesn't need to be dressing like a little man yet, although he does have a few collared shirts.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:10 AM   #116
mama2cntrykids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Current rules for the girls (who are 6 years old and 13 months old):

No bikinis
Skirts/dresses/shorts must fall no shorter than (approx) a couple of inches above the knee.
No shirts with rude language (goes for the boys too).

When they're older:
Spagetti straps must have another shirt underneath.
Low cut shirts must have another shirt underneath.
Same rule as above for dresses/skirts/shorts.

I'm sure there will be more as they get to be teens and I notice stuff...lol.

ETA: No words on the bum! There are enough weirdos out there checking out little girls. I certainly DON'T want to call even MORE attention to that region. Hmmm...now what about words across the chest? Good question. Right now, I am allowing it. Why? Another good question...I don't have an answer to. Maybe it's ok b/c the girls chests are developed at a young age. I will re-consider when they start developing.
Wife to an adoring man. Homeschooling mama to: A sweet girly newbie (6/2011). We co-sleep, bf and babywear~Mama to 2 boys (12/00 & 2/03) & one pretty girl (5/06). Step mom to a new Army recruit. Leaving for training summer 2013.

Last edited by mama2cntrykids; 07-03-2012 at 07:15 AM.
mama2cntrykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:20 AM   #117
mama2cntrykids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trulyprecious View Post
Yeah, I am hoping that too but it was questionable. DH just rolled his eyes and walked away. This one lady kept coming back and pointing our boys out to other members of her family. It was an odd experience.
Yeah...really WEIRD. I would've been annoyed.
Wife to an adoring man. Homeschooling mama to: A sweet girly newbie (6/2011). We co-sleep, bf and babywear~Mama to 2 boys (12/00 & 2/03) & one pretty girl (5/06). Step mom to a new Army recruit. Leaving for training summer 2013.
mama2cntrykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:32 AM   #118
Charrey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For DS (5), I don't really have any rules as long as he matches and his clothes are clean.

DD is only 12 months, but I do not put her in bikinis. They just make me uneasy (maybe because I wasn't allowed). When she gets older skirts will have to be a reasonable length and makeup has to be age appropriate as she asks to wear it.

I don't put either of them in anything with labels like 'diva.'

Last edited by Charrey; 07-03-2012 at 07:33 AM.
Charrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #119
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
The 'cutting thin hair to make it thick' trick is an old wives tale. You will find just as many people it worked for as it didn't.

But it's worth a try if you're up for cutting their hair it might work for you

These are a ton of rules. There's a lot I agree with in essence - I don't like words on shirts or pants unless in certain circumstances. Character items are ugly, etc.

But as much as I want my child to always match, etc - I also want her to have some individual expression, so I intend to fight my natural urge and let her wear what she wants as long as its modest when she starts being choosy.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #120
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn5388 View Post
These are cute... lol I used to have such rules/restrictions.. now I just hope they are wearing SOMETHING when we leave the house.

l
lol, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunch!910 View Post
Keep in mind, I've got boys.

NO 'gangsta' shorts that go past the knees. My child is not from the ghetto, I will not dress him that way. (And when he is older, he WILL wear his pants covering his butt!)
yikes. my town doesn't even have a"ghetto" and you would be hard pressed to find ANY male, young or old, with shorts at the knee or above. Even the shorts they wear on varsity teams are below the knee. "ghetto" heh.